Euro Notes

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Euro Notes

I am not sure how to ask this, but here goes....I know there are
5,10,20,50,100, 200, & 500 Euro notes out there. In the USA there are
1,2,5,10,20,50, and 100 notes. In general the $20 note is the highest
general note accepted for every day commerce in the USA. Yeah, I know the
50 and 100 are accepted in some stores.
What is it like in Europe? Can I give a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note for a
bratwurst in Germany? Would any store accept as 200 or 500 Euro note? If I
took 500 Euro from a FRA airport ATM what denominations would I get back?

dennis

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Jens Arne Maennig

Dennis G. Rears wrote:

What is it like in Europe? Can I give a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note for
a bratwurst in Germany?

Absolutely no problem - if you like bratwurst.

Would any store accept as 200 or 500 Euro note?

Yes. Usually they will check it under a ultraviolet light that is posted
on nearly every cachier but that's it.

If I took 500 Euro from a FRA airport ATM what denominations would I get
back?

Depends on how the ATM was filled. I never got anything bigger than a 100
euro bill from an ATM so far. It often goes down to 5 euro bills,
however.

Jens
Old November 9th, 2003, 06:37 PM
David Horne

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

ATMs tend to give out 50s and smaller notes. 100s, 200s and 500s are quite
rare, but there's no reason to believe they won't be accepted.

In smaller shops in the UK (and not just the very small family run
businesses) they often have a policy of not accepting notes larger than
£20. [The notices they put up often say this is due to forgeries.] I've
never seen this in Euro-land though, but I wonder if it happens.

David

--
David Horne- website under re-construction
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old November 9th, 2003, 06:50 PM
tim

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message ...
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in
t:

In general the $20 note is the highest
general note accepted for every day commerce in the USA. Yeah, I know
the 50 and 100 are accepted in some stores.
What is it like in Europe? Can I give a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note
for a bratwurst in Germany?

In general yes. They might moan about having to give that much change. In a
supermarket, 50s are perfectly acceptable.

Would any store accept as 200 or 500 Euro note?

If you buy something of that price, why not. Otherwhise they may moan about
the change.

Once I was behind a woman who paid with a 200 note for 5 Euro of
shopping. The cashier said nothing.

If I took 500 Euro from a FRA airport ATM what denominations would I
get back?

ATMs tend to give out 50s and smaller notes. 100s, 200s and 500s are quite
rare, but there's no reason to believe they won't be accepted.

I always get 100's (unless I only request 100), sometimes I get a 200 or
two. The machines do tend to try to dispense small notes but TBH I don't
really want 1000 Euro in 20s and 50s, how many large notes you get
obviously depends upon how long ago they filled the machine

tim

Regards

--
Royaume Uni douze points

http://www.wschwanke.de/

Old November 9th, 2003, 06:56 PM
tile

Normally in cash dispensers you do not get more than 250 eur per day
with a maximum amount of 1000 to 1500 eur per month.
it is hard to see 500 eur and 200 eur notes around
people pay with 50 and 20 eur notes
t...

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:32 PM
tim

"David Horne" wrote in message
news:1g466bp.145go071swm4zkN%this_address_is_for_s ...
Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

ATMs tend to give out 50s and smaller notes. 100s, 200s and 500s are quite
rare, but there's no reason to believe they won't be accepted.

In smaller shops in the UK (and not just the very small family run
businesses) they often have a policy of not accepting notes larger than
£20. [The notices they put up often say this is due to forgeries.] I've
never seen this in Euro-land though, but I wonder if it happens.

It's quite common in petrol stations. The prohibition seems to
start at 200.

tim

David

Old November 9th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Luca Logi

Dennis G. Rears wrote:

What is it like in Europe? Can I give a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note for a
bratwurst in Germany? Would any store accept as 200 or 500 Euro note? If I
took 500 Euro from a FRA airport ATM what denominations would I get back?

The ATM close to my home gives 20 and 50 notes. These can be used
usually without problems (this morning I paid a newspaper and a bus
ticket with a 50, and nobody commented). In supermarkets the cashier may
need a supervisor approval for accepting a 200 or a 500 - in a small
store they probably won't have change anyway for a big note.

I have used 500s only for large payments - tipically, for paying the
rent of my holiday apartment.

--
Luca Logi - Firenze - Italy e-mail:
Old November 9th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Eddy le Couvreur

"Wolfgang Schwanke" schreef in bericht
"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in
t:

In general the $20 note is the highest
general note accepted for every day commerce in the USA. Yeah, I know
the 50 and 100 are accepted in some stores.
What is it like in Europe? Can I give a 20 Euro or a 50 Euro note
for a bratwurst in Germany?

In general yes. They might moan about having to give that much change. In

supermarket, 50s are perfectly acceptable.

Would any store accept as 200 or 500 Euro note?

If you buy something of that price, why not. Otherwhise they may moan

about
the change.

If I took 500 Euro from a FRA airport ATM what denominations would I
get back?

ATMs tend to give out 50s and smaller notes. 100s, 200s and 500s are quite
rare, but there's no reason to believe they won't be accepted.

There is reason to believe they won't be accepted everywhere though: At
least in the Netherlands you won't be able to buy petrol (gas) with anything
larger than a 100 Euro note. Every gas station has posters that say so.
Don't expect to pay a taxi ride with a large note (200 or 500) either.

--
-------
Eddy