Looking for travel advice

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:58 PM
MJL

Default Looking for travel advice

Hello,

I am looking to arrange a honeymoon trip to Europe at the end of
September (~27th). We will have about a month to travel, we will be
flying out of Vancouver, BC - and our basic plan is to fly into Rome
and travel throughout Italy, Spain and Portugal and then fly home from
Lisbon.

I don't have a lot of experience planning trips like this so I am
looking for advice on the best way to pull this off. I have visited
travel agents but right now they are basically telling me that its
still to early to be planning for that time.

One travel agent gave me a price for the two flights (Vancouver-Rome;
Lisbon-Vancouver) at around $1300/ticket (CDN$). I have also been
checking Expedia and Travelocity, and they seem to be offering higher
prices than this.

Others have recommended we fly round-trip to London to make it cheaper
and use London as the start and end-points of our trip. While it
would be nice to include London, I don't want to plan too much for one
trip. I feel like we would waste a significant amount of time getting
to Rome from London and then getting back to London at the end.

While I am looking for the cheapest option, I don't want to waste any
of our travel time just to save a few bucks.

If anyone has any advice or any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,
Mike.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:18 PM
Vicky

In article , MJL
wrote:

I am looking to arrange a honeymoon trip to Europe at the end of
September (~27th). We will have about a month to travel, we will be
flying out of Vancouver, BC - and our basic plan is to fly into Rome
and travel throughout Italy, Spain and Portugal and then fly home from
Lisbon.

My instinct is that this is a little ambitious, depending on what
places you intend to visit in the three countries. For example, when I
traveled through Spain, I had two weeks planned and still didn't get to
see as much as I wanted. The same goes for Italy (two weeks just for
Rome, Florence and Venice). Personally, one month is probably just
enough time travel all through Italy alone. But you can definitely
make it work if you are specific in what cities/towns you want to
visit. Since you'll be on a honeymoon, you'd want to travel at a more
leisurly pace, I am sure.

I have visited
travel agents but right now they are basically telling me that its
still to early to be planning for that time.

Others have recommended we fly round-trip to London to make it cheaper
and use London as the start and end-points of our trip. While it
would be nice to include London, I don't want to plan too much for one
trip. I feel like we would waste a significant amount of time getting
to Rome from London and then getting back to London at the end.

It could be that it's still too early to get the fall rates for
airfares, but the London option isn't really that time consuming. From
London, you can fly out to a city and come back from another easily.
For instance, fly from London to Rome, and then come back from
Barcelona. Just need to use low-cost airlines like easyjet or
something.

On the other hand, I am extremely biased, and I always recommend
stopping by London. I love London (I wish I still live there!) and
it's a nice way to spend a couple of days there having a few pints at
some pub before I return home from my trip. But that's obviously a
personal choice.

Hope this helps!

-Vicky
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:53 AM
st

On 22 Feb 2004 11:58:39 -0800, (MJL) wrote:

[...]

Rome for a few days, Florence for a few days, Verona for a few days
and Venice for a day.

Fly out to Barcelona, spend a few days exploring before getting a
train to Madrid. Then you can really do what you like. There are
countless fantastic places to check out in Spain.

I'd shortlist Salamanca, Toledo, San Sebastian, Valencia, Sevilla,
Cadiz etc etc.

Can't comment on Portugal, but I'd imagine Lisbon and Porto would be
quite nice?
Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
OughtFour

MJL wrote:
Others have recommended we fly round-trip to London to make it cheaper
and use London as the start and end-points of our trip. While it
would be nice to include London, I don't want to plan too much for one
trip. I feel like we would waste a significant amount of time getting
to Rome from London and then getting back to London at the end.

While I am looking for the cheapest option, I don't want to waste any
of our travel time just to save a few bucks.

This is exactly right. (And would you really "save a few bucks" when all is
said and done?)

I mean, London is one of the world's great places, but if it is not on your
short list don't go there this time.

If anyone has any advice or any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's hard to advise without knowing what you want to do or how you like to
travel. Here are a few tentative thoughts.

Don't shortchange the countryside! Adding a few days in hills, mountains, or
by the sea can also provide a welcome change of pace in the middle of an
ambitious fast-paced itinerary such as yours.

If you are splitting your time between Italy and Iberia, you have about two
weeks in each place. That is a nice amount of time, but you will still have
to pick and choose. What are your priorities?

How will you travel to Spain from Italy? It is a long train ride, depending
on where you are leaving from. Another poster suggested flying to
Barcelona--a good plan if you can afford it.

Getting to Portugal from Spain is not as straightforward as you might think,
either, at least from the south. So, I suggest saving Madrid (and Toledo)
until after you've seen what you want to see in Andalucia and the south. If
this doesn't work for you consider flying.

In Spain, I'd suggest several days in Granada. In Portugal, visit Sintra.
I've done this as a day trip from Lisbon, but I think it would make an
especially romantic place to spend a night or two.

I don't know if any of these ideas speak to you. Have a great trip!

Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
MJL

Thanks for all the advice,

As far as our travel habits, we are open to experiencing more than
just the big cities. I've never been to Europe myself so personally
everything will be new to me. I am hoping we will be able to rent a
car to travel around, it seems like the most convenient way of doing
things.

Italy is our prime objective... from everyone's suggestions, I would
be inclined to spend the entire month in Italy, and maybe head to some
of the islands in the Mediterranean instead of going to Spain and
Portugal... I want to have a good mix of sight-seeing and relaxation.
Maybe spend a week laying on the beach somewhere in the middle of some
action-packed travelling.

Does the price I was quoted from the travel agent ($1300 CDN) seem
about right for the tickets, or should I hold out for a better price?

Thanks again,
Mike.
Old February 24th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Vicky

In article , MJL
wrote:

Italy is our prime objective... from everyone's suggestions, I would
be inclined to spend the entire month in Italy, and maybe head to some
of the islands in the Mediterranean instead of going to Spain and
Portugal... I want to have a good mix of sight-seeing and relaxation.
Maybe spend a week laying on the beach somewhere in the middle of some
action-packed travelling.

That sounds like a great trip...fitting for a honeymoon!! I am sure
you'll have a great time.

Does the price I was quoted from the travel agent ($1300 CDN) seem
about right for the tickets, or should I hold out for a better price?

Doesn't seem too expensive to me (flying from Vancouver to Rome,
right?), but then again, doesn't seem cheap either. Maybe you can hold
out a little longer to wait for some special deals to pop up.

-Vicky
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:13 PM
OughtFour

MJL wrote:
Thanks for all the advice,

As far as our travel habits, we are open to experiencing more than
just the big cities. I've never been to Europe myself so personally
everything will be new to me. I am hoping we will be able to rent a
car to travel around, it seems like the most convenient way of doing
things.

It's nice to have a car *except* when you are going to spend time in a city,
where it is an encumbrance.

So if you were planing to see (for instance) Rome, Florence, and Venice, and
also see some of Tuscany or Umbria, you might want to (1) see Rome, (2) rent
a car there when you are ready to leave and see the countryside a bit,
returning the car (3) in Florence. When done in Florence, (4) take a train
to Venice.

That's meant as an illustrative example, not necessarily what you want to
do.

Italy is our prime objective... from everyone's suggestions, I would
be inclined to spend the entire month in Italy, and maybe head to some
of the islands in the Mediterranean instead of going to Spain and
Portugal...

I think you could have a wonderful trip doing this, if you or your spouse
would not feel short-changed by skipping Spain and Portugal. Or, if you want
to go beyond Italy, not necessarily to Iberia, consider a week in Provence
or Switzerland.