Abercrombie & Kent Question

Old October 12th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Odysseus

Default Abercrombie & Kent Question

I am planning a trip to South Africa and I am considering using
either Abercrombie & Kent or Tauck. Yes, I know that I can do it
on my own for less money but want the convenience of an upscale
tour.

How good is Abercrombie & Kent for South Africa? The reason I
ask is because there are not very many pole booked on their tours.
So far, there is nobody booked on the April departure that I am
interested in According to my travel agent, the earliest date for
which they can guarantee they will have the tour is in June. By
contrast, the Tauck tours next spring are almost all fully booked.
At present, I have a courtesy hold on the Tauck April departure.

If people are not booking the Abercrombie & Kent Highlights of
Southern Africa tour, that may say something about the tour or
about the tour company.

Old October 13th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Rita Daggett

I am planning a trip to South Africa and I am considering using
either Abercrombie & Kent or Tauck.
How good is Abercrombie & Kent for South Africa? ...

If people are not booking the Abercrombie & Kent Highlights of
Southern Africa tour, that may say something about the tour or
about the tour company.

Cant answer your question directly, but have used A&K for a 'tailor-made' to
Zimbabwe and I think a couple to Botswana as well and the arrangements went
very smoothly. (sometimes 'tailor-made' isnt much more expensive than
'escorted tour'?) I've seen their tour buses in Kenya and they are in good
condition; they use the best lodges.
Tauck isnt readily available from UK (except for their tours in America) so
I cant compare. A&K are highly thought of, at the upper end.

--
Rita Daggett

Old October 15th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Pat Anderson

In message CNYad.248474$3l3.75181@attbi_s03, Odysseus writes
I am planning a trip to South Africa and I am considering using
either Abercrombie & Kent or Tauck. Yes, I know that I can do it
on my own for less money but want the convenience of an upscale
tour.

How good is Abercrombie & Kent for South Africa? The reason I
ask is because there are not very many pole booked on their tours.
So far, there is nobody booked on the April departure that I am
interested in According to my travel agent, the earliest date for
which they can guarantee they will have the tour is in June. By
contrast, the Tauck tours next spring are almost all fully booked.
At present, I have a courtesy hold on the Tauck April departure.

If people are not booking the Abercrombie & Kent Highlights of
Southern Africa tour, that may say something about the tour or
about the tour company.

A& K are a good company but in some instances they use the same hotels
as other companies and are considered to be expensive. If you can afford
to use them you will find they will look after you.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old October 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM
MIKE BONNER

I am traveling with them soon. Since me an e-mail in December and I will
sent you a review of my trip.

Old October 16th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Odysseus

I decided to book my trip with Tauck. My travel agent thinks that I will
be happier with Tauck than A&K. I have used her for years and she knows
my likes and dislikes well. Her advice has been very good in the past.

Thanks to everybody for their help. I will probably be asking for more
advice as the trip gets closer. It will be April 2005.