Egypt info please?

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:35 PM
peaceofmind

Default Egypt info please?

don't know where exactly u r going in egypt-it's a big country--but
prices tend to be pretty much the same. if u avoid hotels and associated
malls then prices are really good for food. if you avoid the part of the
bazaar/market that all of the other tourists are at then those prices
should be modest as well. i would need to know more specifics in terms
of area and type of souveneirs. if you like egyptian food it can be
really economical and it is delicious.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Big_B

"Tashi" wrote in message

Been there done that.. Questions for you.. when r u going? where r u from?

I'm going in three to four week. In mid April.
I'm from Europe.

what is your experience travelling (backpacker or luxury)

Does luxury count when you travel on organised tours?
This is an organised tour.

How long are you going?

12 days.

Where are you staying in each of the places and finally

Hotels in Hurgada, Cairo and Asuan, ship while on the Nile.

How r u moving around Egypt (alone or with a grp/car/train/plane)

Moving around Egypt with train and ship.

This is the route: CairotrainLuxorshipAsuanshipHurgada

So any help on anything would be appriciated!
Prices, food, tips, what to buy for gifts.....anything....

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:10 AM
dare 2nvme

everywhere you are going is divided into the "tourist" side and the
"not-so-touristy" side of egypt(my analysis). in my opinion luxor and
aswan could be a little more difficult than the other areas as the
"sites" tend to be more focal and sometimes even isolated. you should
always be able to bargain anywhere ;including in your own hotel. there
is no reason to shop where the tourists are all shopping or worse, where
a guide sends you, as souvenirs are varied and generally fairly cheap.
food is very economical and quite good. look for places that are packed
w/ locals and that have a menu of some sort that you can make out. there
is no barter in restaurants. i don't know how you are travelling between
these areas as i drove so that might be limited by your means. you can
get an economical lunch on a 8 hr. bus trip though and food is served on
first class train rides so that may help you some(also quite economical)
make sure and fin a decent market near you and stock up on goodies-fruit
and cheese are my personal favs. i hope that this helps you a bit more.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:13 AM
dare 2nvme

the price of an excellent meal in a touristy rest. in 3-04 cost @ 50
lbs.= $9 US. that was a rare treat for me as i preferred mingling more
locally where the avg. price of a meal was 15lbs.=@$3

Old March 23rd, 2005, 02:16 AM
dare 2nvme

oops! shoulda read this first b4 posting. well my advice is the same but
you will be much more constrained than i ever was so you have to guage
it from there.
ps, sorry for all of the posts!

Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Big_B

"dare 2nvme" wrote in message
the price of an excellent meal in a touristy rest. in 3-04 cost @ 50
lbs.= $9 US. that was a rare treat for me as i preferred mingling more
locally where the avg. price of a meal was 15lbs.=@$3

Oh, I definitely go for this second option! I though it would be more
expensive!
What about food on the market place/bazaar? Is it clean? I mean, can it be
trusted?

Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Big_B

"dare 2nvme" wrote in message

in my opinion luxor and aswan could be a little more difficult than the
other areas as the
"sites" tend to be more focal and sometimes even isolated.

What do you mean by isolated?

always be able to bargain anywhere ;including in your own hotel. there
is no reason to shop where the tourists are all shopping or worse, where
a guide sends you, as souvenirs are varied and generally fairly cheap.

So where do you sugest I go shopping? In places not overcrowded by tourists,
right?

food is very economical and quite good. look for places that are packed
w/ locals and that have a menu of some sort that you can make out.

Menus can be found in english? Because, I can't read Arab. (

is no barter in restaurants. i don't know how you are travelling between
these areas as i drove so that might be limited by your means. you can

By train and by ship. I have meals organised, but when staying in hotels I
only have breakfast, so....

make sure and fin a decent market near you and stock up on goodies-fruit
and cheese are my personal favs. i hope that this helps you a bit more.

Cheese? Their local (Egyptian) cheese? Imported?

You wouldn't happen to know if I can take into the country (through airport
customs) some food? I'm talking about snacks, not real food like
sandwiches......

Thx. You are very helpfull.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
Tashi

out of curiosity what tour group are you going with?
when you say "ship" do you mean house boat or Faluca(a sail boat of sorts)
where in Europe are you from?
and what is your age group?
(I ask this because different age grps like different things) I went with a
tour also --Geckos--I didn't really like them but I used them for my
accomadations and transportation. They told me the tour would be made up of
people from all over the world.. they turned out to all be from
Australia/NZ.. and they were all 10yrs or so ynger than me, therefore, their
time was spent partying and smoking up while I just went on my own.

also, what is incld. in your tour? food? etc..

I can give you more answers soon... have to look up all my stuff.

--
"When one realizes that life is worthless
he either commits suicide or travels. ~ Edward Dahlberg