Paris Metro ?

Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Wanderingjew698

Default Paris Metro ?

Could I buy a 1 ride ticket ride for 3-4 hours then exit at the same station or
do I have to exit at another station ?
Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Martin Bienwald

Wanderingjew698 schrieb:

Could I buy a 1 ride ticket ride for 3-4 hours then exit at the same station or
do I have to exit at another station ?

AFAIR there are no ticket checks at the exit; you just pass the turnstile
without inserting your ticket.

However, there _are_ ticket checks at the exit of RER stations so be
careful to use a genuine Metro exit.

I don't know if there are roving fare inspectors on the Metro, and what
they would do if they caught you with a ticket cancelled several hours ago.

.... Martin

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Mxsmanic

Wanderingjew698 writes:

Could I buy a 1 ride ticket ride for 3-4 hours then exit at the same station or
do I have to exit at another station ?

Trips in the Métro must be completed within 2 hours. There are no
checks at the exit turnstiles of Métro stations, however. RER stations
do check tickets at exits, but I don't know if the system is actually
programmed to check for the 2-hour limitation. You can exit at the same
station at which you entered without restriction.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
SampleX

On 2004-08-03 15:33:18 +0100, Martin Bienwald said:

Wanderingjew698 schrieb:

Could I buy a 1 ride ticket ride for 3-4 hours then exit at the same station or
do I have to exit at another station ?

AFAIR there are no ticket checks at the exit; you just pass the turnstile
without inserting your ticket.

However, there _are_ ticket checks at the exit of RER stations so be
careful to use a genuine Metro exit.

I don't know if there are roving fare inspectors on the Metro, and what
they would do if they caught you with a ticket cancelled several hours
ago.

... Martin

I've had inspections twice on the Paris Metro. They were conducted by
the Metro Police. They are not particularly regular, but you don't want
to feel like a pillock with a couple of armed gendarmes there and the
occasional muzzled alsatian eyeing you up and down.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
SampleX

Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Mxsmanic

SampleX writes:

I've had inspections twice on the Paris Metro. They were conducted by
the Metro Police. They are not particularly regular, but you don't want
to feel like a pillock with a couple of armed gendarmes there and the
occasional muzzled alsatian eyeing you up and down.

Inspections are common. Half a dozen agents in avocado-colored RATP
suits plus a few transit police (depending on the place and hour), and
often a few plainclothes agents milling around nearby. Some people are
more likely to be inspected then others--not everyone is stopped. If
you are a pretty female and the inspectors are male, they'll often let
you pass or tolerate all sorts of excuses for not having a valid ticket.
True also for many types of tourists.