Baltic Sea Cruise

Old July 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sandy[_5_]

Default Baltic Sea Cruise

Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will use
one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for either
Euros or local currency. I have been told that the ships do not give you a
good rate of exchange. I wonder should we do it at the airport where we
first. start the cruise? Would they have the other kinds of currency for
the other countries? Should we try to buy the Euros at a local bank over
here before we leave?
Thanks again for all your help.
Sandy

Old July 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Sandy" wrote in message
Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will
use one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for
either Euros or local currency. I have been told that the ships do not
give you a good rate of exchange. I wonder should we do it at the airport
where we first. start the cruise? Would they have the other kinds of
currency for the other countries? Should we try to buy the Euros at a
local bank over here before we leave?
Thanks again for all your help.
Sandy

Ships do not give you a good rate. Many don't carry lesser local
currencies, but usually those locations accept dollars. Best is to use your
credit cards for foreign purchases. Check to see if your card company
charges a foreign conversion fee first. Some places airport currency
exchanges are good, others not. Buying currency at your bank should be OK,
but some charge fees for obtaining the currency if they don't routinely
carry it. We have always been able to use dollars even in Euro countries.
The vendors don't give you a good exchange rate, but for small purchases,
who cares. Just be aware of the official exchange rate which you can check
here- http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=EUR;amt=1

Old July 28th, 2012, 04:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 7/27/2012 10:08 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
Ships do not give you a good rate. Many don't carry lesser local
currencies, but usually those locations accept dollars. Best is to use your
credit cards for foreign purchases. Check to see if your card company
charges a foreign conversion fee first. Some places airport currency
exchanges are good, others not. Buying currency at your bank should be OK,
but some charge fees for obtaining the currency if they don't routinely
carry it. We have always been able to use dollars even in Euro countries.
The vendors don't give you a good exchange rate, but for small purchases,
who cares. Just be aware of the official exchange rate which you can check
here- http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=EUR;amt=1

If you buy currency from your local bank in the US you will get a poor
rate and pay fees. Your best bet is getting it from an ATM when you get
there. And use a credit card where possible but as you mentioned, watch
out for the 3% currency conversion fee that most charge. Capital One
cards do not charge the 3% fee, and there are a few others that do not.
I think that Discover also doesn't charge, and their purchase of Diners
Club should make them more accepted overseas than they have been in the
past.

Bill

Old July 28th, 2012, 06:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 7/27/2012 8:14 AM, Sandy wrote:
Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will use
one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for either
Euros or local currency. I have been told that the ships do not give you a
good rate of exchange. I wonder should we do it at the airport where we
first. start the cruise? Would they have the other kinds of currency for
the other countries? Should we try to buy the Euros at a local bank over
here before we leave?
Thanks again for all your help.
Sandy

I was in Russia last summer.

Many of the good tour companies in St. Petersburg will accept credit
cards. Alla Tours will not put an up-charge on your credit card. Alla
Tours also offers a package for three other cities on most Baltic cruise
itineraries.

We go to the foreign desk at Wells Fargo and buy our foreign currency
there. We have our checking account with them. They look up the
conversion and that's what we get. No extra charge if we do it there.

They will take back bills, too, but not coin.

You need local currency in St. Petersburg for tipping the guides and for
the bathroom. Many restrooms in public places have a fee.

An ATM card is fine and we carry one that is not attached to our regular
bank account so that if something happens, we won't lose all of our
money and the direct deposits that we can't control. The problem with
relying on ATMs for cash is that you almost always need some before you
can find a machine. That's why we always take some of the local
currency with us. Ask for small denominations.

We will get an assortment of local currency for our Baltic cruise in the
summer of 2013.

We have just found a great deal on an Italy, Greece, Montenegro, Turkey,
Croatia, 11 day cruise and will bring Euros and whatever they use in the
other countries with us.

You get off the plane and take a cab somewhere, you need cash. With a
load of luggage in a place you've never been before, it's good to have some.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 7/27/12 9:14 AM, Sandy wrote:
Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will use
one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for either
Euros or local currency.

Don't exchange. Just bring your MAC or Debit card and hit a local ATM
at a bank and do a withdrawal in whatever local currency you want.
ATM's always have the best rates.

Old July 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 7/28/2012 6:40 AM, Sandy wrote:
Thanks so much to all of you. Your information is very helpful and I will
pass it along to the rest of our group.
I checked with our credit union and they charge 1 per cent when using a
credit card to convert. That sounded pretty good. They don't sell foreign
currency but will order it for a fee.
Will Wells Fargo sell to non-members? Sandy

They might. You'd have to ask them. I know that they just debit our
bank account.

Old July 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:23:20 -0400, Tom K
wrote:

On 7/27/12 9:14 AM, Sandy wrote:
Thanks guys so much for all your suggestions about tours. We have already
booked one with the cruise line but thanks to your suggestions, we will use
one of those suggested for the other two days.

Now another thing, in reading the information about the ports we will be
visiting, only one accepts dollars That being St. Petersburg. the others
either use Euros or local currency.
My question is where would be the best place to exchange dollars for either
Euros or local currency.

Don't exchange. Just bring your MAC or Debit card and hit a local ATM
at a bank and do a withdrawal in whatever local currency you want.
ATM's always have the best rates.

If you can - see if the card will waive the fee for out of network.

Try to get by with as few rubles as you can.