Cheap eating in England and London

Old December 28th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Ken Wheatley

Default Cheap eating in England and London

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:35:55 +0000 (UTC), "Mike O'sullivan"
wrote:

2 more suggestions in Soho:

Italian, 51 Greek Street. 3 courses for £6.

Malaysian/Indonesian, Peter Street (off Brewer Street ,market), Nasi Goreng
£6.

Is the Bel Puri in Chapel Market still going? If so, you get a great
all-you-can-eat Indian veg buffet for peanuts.
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:40 PM
David Horne

st wrote:

Self-cater. Safeway isn't expensive. I lived on a baguettes with
cheapo processed chicken and philly. Terribly unexciting, but tastes
good enough for me. And a daily coke to keep the doctor away.

If you have access to an oven or microwave, you can really eat very
well, and pretty healthily, by buying various pre-packaged dishes (huge
variety) and salads, etc. If you shop around, you'd be surprised what
you'd get for under a fiver, even in London.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:40 PM
David Horne

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Lil wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a substantial dinner for
$10 (US) or less in London?

If you like kebab.

I'm not sure if it's still around, but there was a chinese vegetarian
buffet in one of the streets off Old Compton St.- it was definitely £5 a
head anytime of day. Some of the dishes were a bit greasy, but some were
also extremely good- and I'd usually avoid the chinese buffets in
London- some are truly horrendous. When I was vegetarian, I used to go
to Garfunkles- it _is_ a chain, of course, but the unlimited salad bar
was pretty decent I thought. It's a while since I've been, but it used
to be cheap.

David

Old December 28th, 2003, 01:40 PM
David Horne

Tim Kroesen wrote:

"supermarket restaurant"...???

New concept to me... do you mean like the three plastic booths that sit
near the Super-K-Mart 'deli' counter here in the US, or something less
hard scrabble in England?

The big supermarkets usually have restaurants nowadays- cafeteria-style,
but some of them are quite big.

David

Old December 28th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Jeremy Henderson

On 28/12/03 2:40 pm, in article
1g6oj8m.ugq47qe55ybjN%this_address_is_for_spam@yah oo.co.uk, "David Horne"
wrote:

Tim Kroesen wrote:

"supermarket restaurant"...???

New concept to me... do you mean like the three plastic booths that sit
near the Super-K-Mart 'deli' counter here in the US, or something less
hard scrabble in England?

The big supermarkets usually have restaurants nowadays- cafeteria-style,
but some of them are quite big.

They're a good idea for the budget traveller - actually my daughter and I
used to have "brunch" in Sainsbury's every Sunday morning. Not too bad.

An idea I saw in a German travel guide was to eat in a place where families
tend to eat (such as supermarkets, dept stores) and eat the stuff the kids
left after they've gone.

J;

Old December 28th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Mike O'sullivan

wrote:

Is the Bel Puri in Chapel Market still going? If so, you get a great
all-you-can-eat Indian veg buffet for peanuts.

I'll check next Friday. Where exactly is Chapel Market?

Old December 28th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Miguel Cruz

Jeremy Henderson wrote:
An idea I saw in a German travel guide was to eat in a place where
families tend to eat (such as supermarkets, dept stores) and eat the stuff
the kids left after they've gone.

There's gotta be a line somewhere...

My first time in Gibraltar, we stayed on a half-sunken barge in the harbour
that provided accomodation and breakfast for 3 pounds.

It was a really interesting bunch of people, and we had a great time talking
and drinking on the deck in the evening. The accommodations ended up being
scattered clusters of cushions and linens stashed in various corners above
and below deck. Then, in the morning, some people went around collecting
volunteers for breakfast detail, which turned out to involve a trip to the
dumpster behind the Safeway supermarket in search of discarded damaged food.
Envisioning a stiff competition with the rats for the best bits, my
traveling companions and I went off and had breakfast elsewhere.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:50 PM
congokid

In message , Kent
Wendler writes
I am looking for advice on how to eat inexpensively in England and
especially London. This is for a college student with limited funds
on a study tour to Canterbury, Salisbury, Bath, Stratford, the Lake
District, York, and a week in London. The tour includes some meals,
but not in London, where the reservation is at the Strand Palace Hotel
for a week. This will be in January.

Therefore I will greatly appreciate whatever advice experienced
English travelers can give for inexpensive dining while there. Thank
you in advance.

Have a look at my home page for some suggestions.

There are several all you can eat buffets in London's Chinatown, for
example, Mr Wu. There are also chains, such as Stockpot. Others include
the Pollo in Old Compton Street, Soho, or the Chelsea Kitchen on the
King's Road.

You can eat healthily and cheaply at most sandwich shops, such as Pret A
Manger. Or buy sandwiches from the many supermarket outlets such as
Sainsbury's Local, Tesco Metro or Marks & Spencer.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
Old December 29th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Jeremy Henderson wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to have a substantial dinner for
$10 (US) or less in London?

Take-aways, including fish & chips. Apart from that, I'd doubt it without
knowing a specific and unusual bargain spot.
J;

Certainly, just use an accurate exchange rate!
according to http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
on Monday, December 29, 2003
6 British Pound = 10.62900 US Dollar
6 US Dollar (USD) = 3.38696 British Pound (GBP)

Contrary to whomever, £6 = $10 (plus change) not £12

the exchange rate is
1 British Pound = 1.77150 US Dollar
1 US Dollar (USD) = 0.56449 British Pound (GBP)
Not £1 to $2

or at least that's what the internet says