LAX to BOS for late November: when to buy a ticket

Old September 28th, 2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
AnnualFlyer

Default LAX to BOS for late November: when to buy a ticket

I potentially want to go from LAX to BOS, leaving on a Friday night
and returning midday on Sunday. I've done a little looking around at
prices, and I'm probably gong to pay about $550.00. Since I won't
know until the last minute if I really need to go (because I get
invited to an interview in my academic field's annual conference--
otherwise I wasn't going this year), I'm inclined to wait until the
last minute. I usually spend longer at this conference, wherever it
is held, but this year I have constraints and it would be preferable
to skip the whole thing. So, my questions are two. Will the last
minute price likely be a lot higher than this $550? Second, if, by
chance I can get an aisle seat right now, what are the chances of
still doing that the week of the flight (e.g., I'm flying on Friday
and buy my ticket on the preceding Monday)? I know I'll be crammed
into a tiny space for eight hours no matter what, so I need an aisle
seat so I don't get too claustrophobic. Thanks for suggestions.
Old September 28th, 2008, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

"AnnualFlyer" wrote in message
[...]

Purchase now and AA flies non-stop for $409 non-refundable coach (11-14 -
16-08.) If you purchase within one week of flight expect to pay a lot more
and no guarantee there will even be any seats available. Same plane for
next weekend (10-3 to 5-08) is over $750 RT for the same non-refundable
ticket. Also if there is a fare difference with a particular airline's
flight days, Friday and Sunday are historically the most expensive days to
fly and they seem to fill up faster as everyone is going home or to work.

Your choice, pay now and hope you do go, or wait and hope you can get what
you want at a price you can afford.

Old September 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Look at Farecast to see their prediction to see how much it will go
up........

----
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

Old September 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Pro

book on Southwest the fly "close" to Boston
Southwest givesyou full credit if you cannot fly
Boston via Manchester & Providence on Southwest

Old September 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

AnnualFlyer wrote:
[...]

JetBlue might be the best option for short notice flights, if they have
room on the LGB to BOS flight. Just be aware that JetBlue often cancels
flights with no notice, and leaves you stranded.
Old September 30th, 2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Just be aware that JetBlue often cancels
flights with no notice, and leaves you stranded.

Often? JetBlue's flight cancellation rate is lower than any legacy
carrier, including United and American.

You have a chip on your shoulder because they stranded your in-laws or
something. That's Ok, but stick to the facts. For every ****ed-off
JetBlue customer like yourself, there are probably two ****ed-off
United flyers.

Old September 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

VS wrote:
In article ,
SMS wrote:

Just be aware that JetBlue often cancels
flights with no notice, and leaves you stranded.

Often? JetBlue's flight cancellation rate is lower than any legacy
carrier, including United and American.

You misunderstand. It's not about a flight being canceled, it's how the
airline treats you when a flight is canceled, and whether or not they
are willing to get you to your destination on another flight, within a
reasonable amount of time.
Old September 30th, 2008, 06:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Just be aware that JetBlue often cancels
flights with no notice, and leaves you stranded.

You misunderstand. It's not about a flight being canceled

You said: ``JetBlue often cancels flights with no notice.''
I am correcting you: JetBlue does not cancel flights often.
Their flight cancellation rate is among the best in the industry.

it's how the
airline treats you when a flight is canceled, and whether or not they
are willing to get you to your destination on another flight, within a
reasonable amount of time.

I get it. You are unhappy with JetBlue's treatment of your in-laws
and want to make sure that everyone who is considering JetBlue is aware
that you are ****ed off at them. Good luck to you in your crusade.

What I am saying is: pick an airline, and I'll find you a story that's
worse than yours. You want the one about United delivering several
planeloads of passengers to Wyoming and telling them they are on
their own as far as getting to their final destinations is concerned?
Or the one about Delta stranding a couple thousand pax in Atlanta,
some of whom did not get home for three days?

Old September 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

VS wrote:
In article ,
SMS wrote:

Just be aware that JetBlue often cancels
flights with no notice, and leaves you stranded.

You misunderstand. It's not about a flight being canceled

You said: ``JetBlue often cancels flights with no notice.''
I am correcting you: JetBlue does not cancel flights often.
Their flight cancellation rate is among the best in the industry.

it's how the
airline treats you when a flight is canceled, and whether or not they
are willing to get you to your destination on another flight, within a
reasonable amount of time.

I get it. You are unhappy with JetBlue's treatment of your in-laws
and want to make sure that everyone who is considering JetBlue is aware
that you are ****ed off at them. Good luck to you in your crusade.

Hey, I was the one that suggested JetBlue to the OP because they tend to
have lower "no-advance-purchase" fares than other airlines. I just want
him to be aware of the drawbacks of JetBlue.

I might still use JetBlue if the price was right, and it was a leisure
trip where it didn't matter if I was delayed. I've got $400 in vouchers
from JetBlue right now as a result of canceled flights and canceled routes.
Old September 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
VS[_1_]

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Hey, I was the one that suggested JetBlue to the OP because they tend to
have lower "no-advance-purchase" fares than other airlines. I just want
him to be aware of the drawbacks of JetBlue.

Every airline has drawbacks. Pick an airline, and I'll find you a
horror story worse than your JetBlue story.