Italian landline or mobile phone

Old January 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gdiska

Default Italian landline or mobile phone

Hi all,

I like would to know if a telephone number is a mobile or landline.
the telephone is:

0039 33.....

I have been searching on the internet, but all I obtain is phone
services, but not this information.

Additionally, if somebody knows about a page that determines number of
another countries I would apreciate it a lot.

Thank you in advance,

Aitor
http://www.bidai.info
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"gdiska" wrote in message
Hi all,

I like would to know if a telephone number is a mobile or landline.
the telephone is:

0039 33.....

I have been searching on the internet, but all I obtain is phone
services, but not this information.

Looks like a mobile number; a landline would have a zero after the 0039.

But I'm guessing (and there may be other non-landlines that could start with
3). Try sending it a text.

--
Bartc

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:13:03 -0800 (PST) schrieb gdiska:

Hi all,

I like would to know if a telephone number is a mobile or landline.
the telephone is:

0039 33.....

With landline there would be a zero after the 0039. Not sure if there is no
zero with mobile-numbers.

If you can't get through, maybe try 0039 0 33... instead. In many countries
the leading zero is left out when phoning from abroad. Not so in Italy.

Regards,

Frank
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
gdiska

Bart and Frank,

Thank you for your cooperation.

About sending a text message, SMS, if it is a landline phone, would it
fail with the sending, or I would receive something to difference it?

Regards,

Aitor
http://www.bidai.info

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:

0039 33.....

If you can't get through, maybe try 0039 0 33... instead. In many
countries the leading zero is left out when phoning from abroad. Not
so in Italy.

Well, whatever number, should not be written 0039 33xx xxxx or 0039 033y
yyyy, but +39 33xx xxx or +39 033y yyyy.

The leading "00" is the international dial code, which depends from the
country one is calling (if I call abroad from Italy it is indeed 00, and
so from most other European countries, but some countries use other
codes ... so the correct practice is to use a "+" as a placeholder you
replace with the code in use in the country you are calling from.

In the number which follows there is (or better there was) a "prefix"
and a number. Before 19 June 1998 the leading 0 in the prefix was
necessary only for domestic interurban calls, and was left out for
international calls. The prefix was left out for local calls.

OLD examples (now invalid) :

- call a number in Milan from Milan xxxxxxxx
- call a number in Milan from Rome 02 xxxxxxxx
- call a number in Milan from abroad +39 2 xxxxxxxx

After 19 June 1998 the prefix and the number were merged. One must
always use the prefix with the leading zero, even for local calls.

NEW examples (VALID) :

- call a number in Milan from Milan 02 xxxxxxxx
- call a number in Milan from Rome 02 xxxxxxxx
- call a number in Milan from abroad +39 02 xxxxxxxx
- call a cell phone 3yy zzzzzzz

In the old system the prefixes for large cities (Milan and Rome) were
two-digits (02 and 06), those for other cities were three-digits (e.g
Turin 011), and those for smaller places 4 digits, ... since the numbers
were shorter in smaller places, the total length of prefix + number was
about constant.

You can look the prefixes by locality e.g. in
http://www.prefissi-telefonici.it/pr...taliani_az.php
or by number on
http://www.prefissi-telefonici.it/Ri...i_italiani.php

In the old system numbers starting with "0" were prefixes, numbers
starting with "1" were service numbers of Telecom Italia, and numbers
starting from 2 to 9 were local numbers.

In the new messier system, I believe numbers starting with "0" are fixed
residential numbers (irrespective of the fact they are called locally or
remotely), fewer numbers starting with "1" are free public service
numbers of the various telephone companies (e.g. 187 for customer
support of Telecom Italia), numbers starting with "3xx" are cellular
phones (originally the various "3xx" codes could be used to identify the
company, but with number portability this is no longer possible),
numbers starting with "4" are commercial services of the various
telephone companies or perhaps other companies (for which the caller
pays), and numbers starting with "8" are usually free or low price for
the caller (I believe 800 are really toll free, 840 cost as a local call
irrespective from where one is calling). Also there can be limitations
when calling such numbers from cell phones.

The "funny" thing is that they convinced us that this "0 compulsory, and
1/3/4/8 convention" is some sort of european standard ...

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
gdiska

You can look the prefixes by locality e.g. inhttp://www.prefissi-telefonici.it/prefissi_italiani_az.php
or by number onhttp://www.prefissi-telefonici.it/Ricerca_Prefissi_telefonici_italian...

[...]

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you for your answer.

According with your answer the number have to be a mobile phone. But
what happens with the following preffix for instance?

Localitą (Provincia) Prefisso
MACCAGNO (VA) 0332

It is extracted from http://www.prefissi-telefonici.it/distretto_M.html

Regards,

Aitor
http://www.bidai.info

Old January 19th, 2009, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

"gdiska" wrote in message
Bart and Frank,

Thank you for your cooperation.

About sending a text message, SMS, if it is a landline phone, would it
fail with the sending, or I would receive something to difference it?

I thought it would fail. But I just tried it and in the UK at least it
converts the text to a computerised voice message.

I vaguely remember Italian mobile numbers starting with 3 or 5, and the need
to preserve the 0 of a city code after the international code, which was the
basis for my guess.

--
Bartc

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, gdiska wrote:

Thank you for your answer.

Please do not top post, and snip instead !

According with your answer the number have to be a mobile phone. But
what happens with the following preffix for instance?

MACCAGNO (VA) 0332

Currently there is no ambiguity (*). You dial +39 0332 xxxx from abroad
and 0332 xxxx from Italy. The presence of prefixes 03xx in parallel with
cell phone operator codes 3xx was probably what instigated the change to
compulsory 0 10 years ago.

(*) the annoying ambiguity (for the recipient) could be if somebody
wanting to call a cell phone dials a zero by mistake, and the phone of a
poor guy in Maccagno rings. :-)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

gdiska ha scritto:

About sending a text message, SMS, if it is a landline phone, would it
fail with the sending, or I would receive something to difference it?

In Italy landline phone lines are capable to receive SMS messages, with
special phones, so you will not fail.

Ciao, Piero.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Piero

Giovanni Drogo ha scritto:

and numbers starting with "8" are usually free or low price for
the caller (I believe 800 are really toll free, 840 cost as a local call
irrespective from where one is calling). Also there can be limitations
when calling such numbers from cell phones.

BEWARE to 899 numbers, that are very high cost numbers (like 1-900 in
USA)!!!

Ciao, Piero.