Mediterranean Ferries

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

Default Mediterranean Ferries

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:39:31 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

I travelled first class sleeper from Toulouse to Paris once. Never again!

What was it like? I'm interested as I was once thinking of going that way to
Venice. I gather you wouldn't recommend it.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Terry Richards[_2_]

"Tim C." wrote in message

Depending on where you're going from, an overnight ferry or a drive from
Holland to Hamburg or Düsseldorf and get the train to Verona (or get off
the train at Bozen and hit the Dolomites for a day).

--
Tim C.

Tim,

We are starting from Brittany on account of that's where we live.

Terry.

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Terry Richards[_2_]

"je" wrote in message
On 6 avr, 10:54, "Terry Richards" wrote:
My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

.... but plenty of information on the net :-)

Much of it wrong.

According to
http://www.belvedair.com/fr/transpor...t-Ferries.html
for instance, there is one from Toulon to Civitavecchia -

Including this, that ferry was cancelled in 2008 and I have an e-mail from
the operator top prove it

But have you considered train ?

Yes, see elsewhere in this thread.

Have a great trip!

Thanks.

T.

Old April 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Terry Richards[_2_]

"Giovanni Drogo" wrote in message
nzoengr.vans.vg...

Which part of Italy (which is long) are you interested in ?

I've never been to Italy so I am still figuring out what I'm interested in.
Definitely Pompeii / Herculaneum and I should probably see Rome at least
once in my life but, after that, I'm open to suggestions.

Do you have any particular reason to skip the ligurian and thyrrenian
coasts ?

No, none at all. I just didn't want to spend 2-3 days on a motorbike each
way just getting to & from.

In fact, we are now looking at taking a train to Lyon and starting from
there.

T.

Old April 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Terry Richards wrote:

Do you have any particular reason to skip the ligurian and thyrrenian
coasts ?

In fact, we are now looking at taking a train to Lyon and starting from
there.

I am not a moto-biker at all, but I thought moto-bikers like to travel
on secondary scenic roads and alike, out of the tourist pipeline, if you
can.

To continue on what I suggested in another recent thread

This is the english site of italian Touring Club (TCI), you might look
there for guides in english, road atlas etc.
http://www.touringclub.it//international_TCI/index.asp

This is the main search form for their (excellent) guide books in
italian (might not be obvious if you do not know italian)
http://www.touringclub.com/ITA/viagg...i/default.aspx

This is a search for the keyword "moto"
http://www.touringclub.com/ITA/viagg...e=&Titolo=moto

I made a present of one of those books to a friend (the "moto guide to
Europe"). As far as I remember it included itinerary cards with a road
profile (altitudes, scenic points) and various suggestions.

I do not know the "moto guide to Italy" but I presume it is similar. You
should be able to use at least the maps (I doubt they've translated this
giuide series)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bartc

Terry Richards wrote:
We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy
by motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there
were any ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with
one connection. My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

You might find the road trip interesting if you haven't done it before, at
least once you get to the Alps.

I also found the A12 motorway from the French border along the Italian
coast, slicing through the mountains, great driving, with neverending
tunnels and viaducts. More interesting than the M6 anyway.

Unfortunately the return journey always seems several times longer than the
outward one. I've done UK to Italy by car perhaps 15 times, and each time I
swore that would be the last time ever...

--
Bartc

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 18:56:43 +0100, Bartc wrote
(in article ) :

Terry Richards wrote:
We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern Italy
by motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there
were any ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with
one connection. My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

You might find the road trip interesting if you haven't done it before, at
least once you get to the Alps.

I also found the A12 motorway from the French border along the Italian
coast, slicing through the mountains, great driving, with neverending
tunnels and viaducts. More interesting than the M6 anyway.

I did that trip a couple of years ago and hated it. You see absolutely
nothing of any scenery except as you say, never-ending tunnels and viaducts
which I don't find interesting at all.

Unfortunately the return journey always seems several times longer than the
outward one. I've done UK to Italy by car perhaps 15 times, and each time I
swore that would be the last time ever...

Whichever route I take, I love the drive from UK to Italy, until that is I
actually cross the border into Italy. Then it becomes a rather dismal
experience to be got through as quickly as possible. The only exception to
this was last year when I tried the Dolomite Road from Bolzano to Cortina.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 7th, 2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Terry Richards wrote:
"Mike Lane" wrote in message
The best place for ferry information and booking that I've found is he
http://www.viamare.com/
This shows only one route from France to mainland Italy which is Toulon -
Civitavecchia

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Thanks Mike but the operator's site (Grimaldi ferries) doesn't list that
route - I guess they've stopped it. Also, the viamare site shows the journey
time as 15 hours which is slower than I can do it on the bike. It's starting
to look like this plan is a non-starter...

T.

You could do the following -
- ferry France to Corsica
- ferry Corsica Bonifaccio to Sta Teresa on Sardinia
- ferry from Sardinia to Italy

I've done this once (actually the reverse). The advantage is not having
to overnight on a ferry, which is either expensive or uncomfortable,
depending whether you take a cabin. You could even skip mainland Italy
and just stay on Corsica or Sardinia, both are just as interesting for
bike fans.

T.

T.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Terry Richards wrote:
"Martin Theodor Ludwig" wrote in message
... or you could do it per stop-over in Corsica or Sardinia ;-)

Regards, Martin

I looked at that but, as far as I can see, all the boats from France go to
Corsica and all the boats to central or southern Italy leave from Sardinia.
I'm sure there's a way to get from Corsica to Sardinia but the whole thing
is getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

T.

Bonifaccio-Santa Teresa ferry. It takes about 40 minutes iirc. The ride
is worth it just for the scenery.
T.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 17:41:04 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 10:39:31 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

I travelled first class sleeper from Toulouse to Paris once. Never again!

What was it like? I'm interested as I was once thinking of going that way to
Venice. I gather you wouldn't recommend it.

It was in the 1970s. The carriage rolled all the time. It was nearly impossible
to sleep. The train arrived in Paris around 5 am having left Toulouse around
11pm. I finally got home to NL around 14:00
I did better than a French colleague (a fluent speaker of English, Mixi), who
did manage sleep on a train going in the opposite direction, until he woke up
injured on the side of the track. A bomb had exploded in the next compartment.

http://www.emergency-management.net/bombings.htm
"1982 March 30th. - France: bomb detonated on a Paris-Toulouse train; 6 people
died and 15 were injured."

Several years ago some acquaintances of ours were robbed on an overnight
train in Italy.