austrian tolls

Old March 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Alan S

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:04:57 -0800, "Joseph"
wrote:

|Plan on driving from Germany to Slovenia through Austria in one day. Are
|there toll roads that I would have to use in Austria? If so any idea how
|much for a small car? Can they be avoided?
|
|Joe

Elsewhere I mentioned the Eurodrive leaseback. It has one minor
disadvantage - a bright red "I am a tourist" numberplate.

That is how we found out from the policemen (who look for signals like
that) that we should have bought a sticker for the windscreen before
travelling on Austria's main roads. It cost us 120 euros for this
friendly advice; it would have cost something much less if we'd bought
a sticker first.

Czech has a similar system - stop at the first opportunity as you
cross the border in each country to purchase the stickers.

Cheers, Alan

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:04:57 -0800, Joseph wrote:

Plan on driving from Germany to Slovenia through Austria in one day. Are
there toll roads that I would have to use in Austria? If so any idea how
much for a small car? Can they be avoided?

Joe

You *can* drive through Austria on non-motorway roads. It'll be more scenic
but won't save you any time. I'd pay the Eur 7,60 for the vignette and stay
on the motorway. I bet you'll be driving on the Slovenian motorways as well
- you'll pay tolls there too, for each stretch like in Italy and France.
You can do it of course... when are you going? I assume it's not now, or
it'll be a bit harder with all the snow and the blocked roads.
Where are you starting from and aiming for ? I could work out a route for
you. Alternatively try one of the many route planners on the web.
www.theaa.co.uk does a reasonable one, but it's not good on Slovenia.
You have to pay for all motorways (marked 'A') and all Schnellstrasse
(marked 'S') - and some tunnels/bridges extra.
There's a list of all roads in Austria that you need a Vignette for he
http://www.oeamtc.at/index.php?type=...enu_active=116
Scroll down to where it says:'Vignettenpflichtig in Österreich sind:'

Extra toll stretches are :
A9 Phyrn-Autobahn betwenn Spital/Phyrn and Ardning; between St. Michael -
Übelbach.
A10 Tauern-Autobahn between Flachau and Rennweg.
A11 Karawanken-Autobahn between St. Jakob i. Rosental and the border in the
Karawnken tunnel.
A13 Brenner-Autobahn
S16 Arlberg-Schnellstraße between St. Anton and Langen.

--
Tim C.
Old March 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM
tile

I guess it is almost impossible to travel in Austria without paying a
VIGNETTE and /or paying extra for tunnel and bridges.
the cost is very reasonable..
about 8 eur for a week.
you can buy it at any gasoline station
the similar system applies to czech republic and Slovak republic
in Slovenia you have toll booths like in Italy

in Germany you do not pay.. for the moment.
trucks already pay.. the system being based on satellite controls
the same system applies in austria for trucks or any vehicle above 3500 kg

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Jursano

Great Tim! Thanks for all the information. Just what I was looking for.
We are not going until Mid May and Austria just happens to be between
Germany
And Slovenia where we want to go to. I guess the obvious route is Salzburg
to Klangenfurt

news:1110526477.7fbdc3e944434eac4726d140f3356181@t eranews...

Old March 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Keith Anderson

wrote:

Plan on driving from Germany to Slovenia through Austria in one day. Are
there toll roads that I would have to use in Austria? If so any idea how
much for a small car? Can they be avoided?

Note also that if you're driving via Munich towards Salzburg, some of
the German Autobahn services sell the Austrian vignette. There's one
on the Munich ring-road that does so, and I bought one at Holzkirchen
services late last year. Look at the signs directing you to the
services and at the top it will say "Vignettenverkauf" or something
like that.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:22 PM
tile

I was just checking with

www.viamichelin.it

and not only you will have to pay for the Vignette
if you take the itinerary
Muenchen/Salzburg/Klagenfurt/Lubiana
but also you will pay a toll for the Tauern Tunnel

alltogether it should be about 16.eur one way
the distance given is 404 kms.
so it will take you about 4 hours
assuming yr beginning point as the ending point are the ones i figured out.

Old March 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM
tim

"tile" wrote in message
I was just checking with

www.viamichelin.it

and not only you will have to pay for the Vignette
if you take the itinerary
Muenchen/Salzburg/Klagenfurt/Lubiana
but also you will pay a toll for the Tauern Tunnel

and for Karawanken.

And then the SLO/HR motorways, except for some short
unconnected parts, have toll booths.

The ring around Ljubljana is free.

tim

Old March 11th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:52:50 -0500, Jursano wrote:

Great Tim! Thanks for all the information. Just what I was looking for.
We are not going until Mid May and Austria just happens to be between
Germany
And Slovenia where we want to go to. I guess the obvious route is Salzburg
to Klangenfurt

Yes, that's what I'd do if sticking to the motorways. Even that route is
pretty scenic, especially the bit through the tunnels south of Salzburg as
you drive past Hohenwerfen castle.
If not, I'd think about a route Salzburg/Klagenfurt via Lofer - Zell am
See - Grossglockner (opens first May but is a toll ~Eur26!!)
Alternatively Salzburg via Pass Lueg and Annaberg to Radstadt and over the
Katschberg pass. Then down to Spital an der Drau taking the country road
along the river that runs literally below the motorway to Villach and than
over the Wurzenpass. Takes you out to Kranjska Gora, then Jesenice to
Ljubliana. It'll take a bit longer, but the scenery is better and no tolls.
The advantage there is that if you are running late you can still jump on
the motorway and make up time. (Then you'll have to buy a vignette ;-) )
Even a more out-of-the-way, twisty and scenic route can be done in a full
day.

--
Tim
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Tom Peel

Joseph wrote:

Plan on driving from Germany to Slovenia through Austria in one day. Are
there toll roads that I would have to use in Austria? If so any idea how
much for a small car? Can they be avoided?

Joe

In addition to the other good advice, I'd like to mention that
www.viamichelin.com has a route planner that lets you specify toll-free
roads as an option.

However, a few things to bear in mind if you use their routes. Get a set
of really good up-to-date maps- in Austria in particular the road signs
will almost invariably send you onto the highway and before you know it,
it's too late. The Austrian traffic police have a zero-tolerance policy
and know more about tollroad dodges than you'll ever learn in a
lifetime. Trying to argue with them will just get you into more trouble.
Secondly, depending what time of year you are travelling, check
carefully in advance if the route is taking you over a mountain pass.
The passes are snowbound for months and even when they aren't, if you
get caught in bad weather without winter tires or snowchains, you can be
in serious trouble.
Lastly, respect the speed limits- radar traps!

T.