48hrs in Singapore

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:13 PM
USC

Default 48hrs in Singapore

We have 48 hours in Singapore on our way to New Zealand. Can anyone
suggest how we can prioritise what we see and visit. We will be there
end of July and I gather it will be quite warm!

Singapore is always quite warm and humid. My priorities would be
Jurong Bird Park (very nice, and the MRT/light rail ride out to Boon
Lay Station gives you a good glimpse of the city), the Botanic Garden
(which contains the National Orchid Museum), the Singapore Zoo Night
Safari (I only went to the Night Safari, which was quite interesting,
but I'm sure the zoo would also be enjoyable in the daylight), and at
least one dinner down on Boat Quay, where you can enjoy an open-air
meal on the banks of the Singapore River. Orchard Road would be the
place to go if you're looking to do some up-scaled window shopping
(stuff will be expensive), but I can also suggest spending about an
hour or so strolling along Waterloo Road (off of Bras Bassah Road),
where you can check out the ornate Sri Krishnan Hindu Temple, the Kwan
Yin Temple and an interesting 4-story wet/dry market and food court at
the base of a large apartment building, which makes for some good
photo opportunities (people and lots of local color). Enjoy.

USC
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM
chilly

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
In article 70_ec.108146$Ig.4918@pd7tw2no, chilly

wrote:
It was also quite warm in there and in July it should be quite a bit

worse
in that regard..

Singapore is 1 degree north of the equator. July temperatures are about in
the middle of the annual average, which doesn't vary by more than 4

degrees
from the "coldest" month to the warmest.

:^) So then, the Long Bar won't be any cooler or any warmer than it was in
a rainy period in October?

Not to mention that I'm glad to hear that there is no more than a 4 degree
temperature change. I've been kind of cringing about my trip next week. I
can barely stand the heat in that area normally and had thought I'd set
myself up for an even worse time of it.

Old April 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Viviane

The Changi war memorial is worth a look too - you certainly won't feel like
eating Japanese food afterwards.

om...

Old April 17th, 2004, 02:59 PM
rt

there is also a museum next to it that showcases the singaporian
punishment methods meted out to petty criminals...these include
electrical prodes, water torture, and the most famous of all, the
whipping with half-inch thick bamboo canes pre-soaked in horse urine
(to inflict maximum amount of pain)....they don't call singapore
"disneyland-with-the-death-penalty" for nothing....

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:53:08 +1000, "Viviane"
wrote:

The Changi war memorial is worth a look too - you certainly won't feel like
eating Japanese food afterwards.

. com...

Old April 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Viviane

missed that one! must put it on the itinerary for the next trip - sounds as
informative and educational as sentosa!

Old April 18th, 2004, 11:41 AM
hvpl

Most suggestions don't consider the interest of the poster. Is she crazy
over animals? (Zoo), Mad over birds? (Jurong Bird Park), Gourmet looking for
overpriced tourist food? (Boat Quay).

If one wishes to really know Singapore, go into the heartlands via bus or
MRT. Wander the commercial centres - local shops, market, food courts & meet
'real' Singaporeans & try out what we eat & enjoy everyday. Maybe you'll
gain a hint of what Singapore is all about.

These are the larger & more vibrant suburbs to visit, easily, via MRT
Bedok
Paya Lebar
Aljunied
Bugis
Clementi
Choa Chu Kang
Hougang
Outram Park
Tampines

Enjoy the 'real' Singapore!

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Sharon Abbott

Sharon Abbott wrote:
We have 48 hours in Singapore on our way to New Zealand. Can anyone
suggest how we can prioritise what we see and visit. We will be there
end of July and I gather it will be quite warm!

The temperature is about the same all year round (but it is nice and warm).

For me anyway, the main delight of a visit to Singapore is eating. But what
are you interested in? Shopping? Museums? Activities?

miguel

Yes, yes and yes, but having limited time I have to prioritise. All
the replies have been really great and I already know that there will
have to be a return visit!
Sharon
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
Neil

Peter L wrote in message:
:

"Sharon Abbott" wrote in message
om...
We have 48 hours in Singapore on our way to New Zealand. Can anyone
suggest how we can prioritise what we see and visit. We will be there
end of July and I gather it will be quite warm!

Night Safari at the zoo, botanical garden, Singapore sling at the Long
Bar, a couple of hawkers centers at night.

If you're going to the Night Safari, make sure you get there early. When
we went it closed an hour earlier than the published time and we missed
about a quarter of it. If you go by MRT & bus it takes forever to get
there.

Go on the MRT at some stage anyway because it's good and cheap. i'd
recommend Chinatown at night - a few shops selling rubbish, but fun,
souvenirs, you might see some street entertainment, it's a bustling but
nice place to be around - more 'real' and less sterile than much of
Singapore. The food everywhere is generally fantastic.

--
Neil