Transit visa in UK?

Old March 7th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Kishore Menon

Default Transit visa in UK?

Hi,

Is there a new visa procedure that requires a transit visa for UK
*even if the passenger is not making a voluntary halt in UK; but
merely changing plances and take the immediately connectin flight. Or
is there such a law only for Indians/Asians?

Regards

Kishore Menon
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Kishore Menon" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Is there a new visa procedure that requires a transit visa for UK
*even if the passenger is not making a voluntary halt in UK; but
merely changing plances and take the immediately connectin flight. Or
is there such a law only for Indians/Asians?

Regards

Yes there is such a requirement and it does not just apply
to Indians but citizens of a range of countries who's citizens
are regarded as an illegal immigration risk.

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/yestransit.asp

Keith

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Owain

"Kishore Menon" wrote
| Is there a new visa procedure that requires a transit visa
| for UK *even if the passenger is not making a voluntary halt
| in UK; but merely changing plances and take the immediately
| connectin flight. Or is there such a law only for
| Indians/Asians?

Using www.ukvisas.gov.uk "Do I need a visa" for an Indian national, on an
Indian passport, travelling from India to the UK for the purpose of transit:

Yes, you need a Direct Airside Transit (DAT) visa, unless you qualify for
exemption because you hold:
(snip list of US/Canadian/EU exemptions)

Nationals of certain countries, which includes India - unless exempt as
detailed above - must have a DAT visa to transit through the United Kingdom.
The visa does not allow entry to the UK: other than to catch a connecting
flight, leaving from the same airport on the same day, where you do not need
to pass through immigration control to catch the flight. This is called
Direct Airside Transit.

Please read Guidance - Visitors for further information.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...elerate/ShowPa
ge&c=Page&cid=1018696642519

To apply for a visa you will need to complete form VAF3 - DATV.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/VAF3_2003_Eng,0.pdf

Any dependants under 16 years old, included on your passport, can be
included on the same form, but those older will need to complete separate
forms.

Please make your application to New Delhi, Chennai (Madras), Kolkata
(Calcutta), or Mumbai (Bombay).

The Guidance For Visitors link above reads:

Do I need a visa if I am transiting the UK on the way to another country?
If you are a visa national you will require a visa to enter the UK in
transit (see Do I need a visa to visit the UK?).

If you are entering the UK in transit to another country and will remain in
the UK for no longer than 48 hours, you will need to obtain a "visitor in
transit " visa. If you wish to stay in the UK for more than 48 hours you
will need to apply for a visit visa.

You may be able to transit the UK, at the discretion of the Immigration
Officer, without holding a "visitor in transit visa". This is known as the
Transit without Visa concession (TWOV).

To qualify you must:
- arrive on a cruise ship and depart on the same ship within 24 hours
- arrive and depart by air within 24 hours with no intention of remaining in
the UK. (You may travel by rail or road between two airports)
- hold a confirmed booking on a flight or ship departing within 24 hours of
your arrival in the UK
- have the documents you will need to be allowed to enter the country you
are travelling to
- have the documents you will need for any other country that you may pass
through on your journey

You can follow the Contact Us - UK Overseas Missions link from that site to
get the addresses in India (or any other country) and discuss with them your
particular circumstances.

Owain