Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

"Brian" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:54 -0700, "ARL"
wrote:

i don't know the answer to your question but I'll make a couple of
comments. One is that there are also buses from NJ that might be
possibilities.
You'll be spending some of your day going back and forth on
transportation. you might book something now but as the time gets
closer, check to see if there are any specials. One site is
travelzoo.com and others may have other ideas. We got a pretty good
deal at a 4 star hotel in a very good location in Manhattan that
included breakfast. They had many different options of different
prices.
The summer was pretty slow apparently and hotels may not be
discounting fall yet but might do so closer to the time you are going.
How much mobility do you have and how "mature" are you?
Many of the subways are not particularly friendly to those who have
limited mobility.
I consider my wife and I to be mature but that can incorporate a wide
range. Ten days after we went, I wound up getting a pacemaker I wasn't
expecting.

We are nearing retirement age, but not there yet. Certainly no teenagers &
spring chicken.
We perfer quietness and willing to pay more to get a reasonable night of
sleep. Aware of too soft beds for a week may cause back pain.

We like your idea of booking something now in Manhattan and try to get
better deal as time gets closer. But we do not know how? All these internet
hotel booking sites requires you to PAY now when booked, and almost
impossible to cancel or changes, once you make the purchase.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:22 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Steven M. O'Neill wrote:
The transit directions on Google Maps says there are at least 3
different buses to Manhattan.

I should have also said that the light rail is probably more fun.

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY

Steven, where is this light rail? From where to where? Not directly into
Manhattan, I assume?

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Brian" wrote in message
news
Many of the subways are not particularly friendly to those who have
limited mobility.

We do not have mobility limitations. However, I understand its almost
impossible to carry suitcases and lugguages in most subway or bus in NYC
area?

If we drive down from Boston-Connecticut to the Mattantan hotel to check in
and drop of the lugguages. Then, return the car to nearby rental agents. How
would you do this?

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:31 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:
Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

Yes, Slim. We have tried many internet booking sites and read-contribute
TripAdvisors religiously.
However, the major problems these internet booking sites, they require you
to PAY now.
Almost impossible to make any changes or cancellations. We certainly like to
know and want to pick up better deal when late October get closer. Don't you
agree?

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:54 -0700, "ARL"
wrote:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Be aware that the ferry serving that area doesn't run all night. Can't
remember what time it stops running, but I believe it's around 8 or 9
p.m. You can still get the light rail from Hoboken Terminal, but it's
going to be a longer trip. Once you get to Hoboken, you can take the
PATH across the river to Manhattan, only you'll be in midtown proper,
not the far west side.

Being an older couple, I think they would be better off staying in
Manhattan where a cab back to the hotel will be a couple of bucks and a
few minutes rather than a arduous journey on the various subways/rails
late at night.

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long taxi
ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic. Not
to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near death
experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which is
something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_6_]

Look at the travel booking sites and if you find something that you might
like try going to the hotel web site directly. A lot of times the hotel web
site will allow you to reserve a room without advance payment as long as you
give them a credit card to guarantee the reservation. Check the
cancellation policy carefully but many places allow you to cancel up to the
day of arrival without penalty. (I've found that for many cities the
hotel's site will give you a better deal than Orbitz or Expedia, anyhow.)

One other thing to consider, though, is to check out the reviews of the
hotel. If you're bothered by "street noise" staying downtown anywhere might
not be the best way to get a good nights sleep if the hotel doesn't have
good soundproofing,

Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at
www.under-1-roof.com/PuzzlePage.html

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

ATM wrote:
"Michael Finfer" wrote in message

There's a Hilton at Gateway Center in Newark, NJ, attached to Newark
Penn Station. It's a short train ride on NJ Transit to NY Penn
Station and to the World Trade Center station on PATH. It's also a
short train and monorail ride from Newark Airport.

There is a ferry that operates from Weehawken to Manhattan, and a
light rail line that will take you from Weehawken to Hoboken where you
can transfer to PATH. From the Manhattan ferry terminal, you can
either walk to 8th Avenue to the subway (about 4 long blocks) or take
the 34 St or 42nd St crosstown bus. Newark is probably a better
location if you intend to commute.

Many hotels in Manhattan are close to mass transit, but I'll bet
they'll be much more expensive. I'm getting a rate of $196.71 at the
Gateway Center Hilton for those dates.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Thank you Michael.
OK, in Expedia, this Hilton Newark Penn Station Hotel NJ is $189, 3.5 star.
The Steraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel NJ is $139, 3 star. But not easly
commute?

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

OK, now I learn about PATH. Would its be convenient to take either these
route to mid-town NUC, if there is good hotels along these train
stations?1. yellow line from Journal Square NJ to 33rd NYC?
2. Hoboken to 33rd NYC?

PATH is a quick, usually pleasant ride (but can be very crowded during
the rush hour). The colors on the map are not used in real life. You
would look for the Hoboken train or the 33rd St. train, ect. If you
find a nice hotel near a PATH station, it's convenient. The 33rd St.
station is in the same complex as the 34th St. Sixth and Broadway line
stations (B,D,F,V,N,Q,W, and R trains), and Times Square is only 8
blocks away if you're up to walking. Lower Manhattan is a surprisingly
small place, and there are several subway lines a quick walk from the
World Trade Center station.

There's an interesting view of ground zero from PATH trains as the
trains exit the tunnel and approach the station (look out the left side
as you face forward). I don't think it's been covered up yet, but it
will be at some point.

I assume along these PATH stops in NYC, we can transfer to NYC MTA
subway system easily?
Why is fare so much better at $1.75 a pop, compare to Waterway Ferry at
Lincoln Harbor to 39th for $7.75 ?

PATH subsidized by other Port Authority revenue sources such as bridge
and tunnel tolls. The ferries are a private operation and must cover
their costs and produce a profit from fares.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:59 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

Michael Finfer wrote:

Thank you Michael.
OK, in Expedia, this Hilton Newark Penn Station Hotel NJ is $189, 3.5
star.
The Steraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel NJ is $139, 3 star. But not easly
commute?

Well, I don't know where the hotel is in relation to the ferry or the
light rail, but the ferry terminal in Manhattan is not near the subway,
and if you take the light rail, you have to change to PATH in Hoboken,
which is not a terribly convenient transfer, and you might have trouble
finding your way on your first time through there, but once you figure
out where to go you'll be OK.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
John Levine

If we drive down from Boston-Connecticut to the Manhattan hotel to
check in and drop of the lugguages. Then, return the car to nearby
rental agents. How would you do this?

All the national rental car chains have offices in Manhattan. You can
get a one way rental from wherever to Manhattan, drive to the hotel,
one of you gets out and checks in while the other waits in the car
(they should have bellmen to help with the baggage), then drive to the
rental office, give back the car, and return to the hotel on foot,
bus, or subway.

If you're coming from Boston, Hartford, or New London, the Amtrak
train is a reasonable alternative. You can take a taxi from Penn
Station to a hotel anywhere in midtown and not pay a huge amount.
From New Haven or points south there's the MTA commuter train to
Grand Central, which also has taxis.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:02 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Chris[_15_]

On Aug 20, 7:09*pm, "ARL" wrote:
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens or
Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

Not sure what you count as reasonable, but this is a nice place:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ooklyn-bridge/

It's very close to the subway, and has reasonable parking rates.

If you are a Marriott Rewards member you can usually get a pretty good
deal.

Chris