overnight trains / couchettes / sleeping cars

Old April 9th, 2011, 03:49 AM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse[_5_]

Default overnight trains / couchettes / sleeping cars

Hi,

in the 90s I used to get 5 day flexipasses... use 3 for overnights
(Paris Amsterdam was an overnight) but so was Amsterdam Munich,
Munich Paris, Munich Florence, and Florence Paris (a very nice
train btw)... with a standard 2 week US vacation it saved tourism days
on the 3 overnights and a couple of day trips like to Reims or Chartre.

I know Paris Amsterdam has been replaced by the TGV and it's 4+ hour
run (I understand we're waiting for Belgium to finish Brussels and
the dutch border.

but what other good long overnights are there... first class couchettes
or sleeping cars preferred.

--
Hackamore
http://www.hackamoretravel.com
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:49:36 -0500, Anonymouse wrote:

Hi,

in the 90s I used to get 5 day flexipasses... use 3 for overnights
(Paris Amsterdam was an overnight) but so was Amsterdam Munich,
Munich Paris, Munich Florence, and Florence Paris (a very nice
train btw)... with a standard 2 week US vacation it saved tourism days
on the 3 overnights and a couple of day trips like to Reims or Chartre.

I know Paris Amsterdam has been replaced by the TGV and it's 4+ hour
run (I understand we're waiting for Belgium to finish Brussels and
the dutch border.

but what other good long overnights are there... first class couchettes
or sleeping cars preferred.

TGV as night train :
http://train-idtgv.voyages-sncf.com/...ffre%20iDNiGHT

Paris Bayonne
Paris Biarritz
Paris Cannes
Paris Dax
Paris Hendaye
Paris Marseille
Paris Montpellier
Paris Nice
Paris Nîmes
Paris Perpignan
Paris Saint-Raphaël
Paris Saint Jean de Luz
Paris Toulon

One classic night train with couchettes Paris-Austerliz Toulouse, with
connexion to Latour-de-Carol (near Andorra) at 21H56 each day.
http://www.andorra.ad/en-us/pages/default.aspx

http://www.countrycousins.co.uk/yelltren.htm

Night train to PARIS-Barcelona with T4 couchettes or reclinable seats.
20h41 PARIS AUSTERLITZ
8h24 BARCELONA FRANCA

Old April 9th, 2011, 08:37 PM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:49:36 -0500, Anonymouse wrote:

Hi,

in the 90s I used to get 5 day flexipasses... use 3 for overnights
(Paris Amsterdam was an overnight) but so was Amsterdam Munich,
Munich Paris, Munich Florence, and Florence Paris (a very nice
train btw)... with a standard 2 week US vacation it saved tourism days
on the 3 overnights and a couple of day trips like to Reims or Chartre.

I know Paris Amsterdam has been replaced by the TGV and it's 4+ hour
run (I understand we're waiting for Belgium to finish Brussels and
the dutch border.

but what other good long overnights are there... first class couchettes
or sleeping cars preferred.

In 1996 we took a long train trip, London to Helsinki (a boat was
involved, though) with night train, the Nord Express, from Brussels to
Copenhagen and another Copenhagen to Stockholm. Even then one could make
the trip faster by day trains; for instance, the Nord Express had to stop
on a siding for a while to stretch the trip out long enough that the
passengers didn't arrive in Copenhagen at 04:00 or some similarly obscene
early hour.

The arrival of the high speed trains has now shortened trips so much that
many of the old night trains have been discontinued; I don't believe the
Nord Express is still in service and I expect the new bridge and the
Swedish X2000 trains have obviated the need for the old night train from
Copenhagen to Stockholm, which even had to board a ferry at Elsinor.

Some night trains are still in service. Finland still runs night trains
between Helsinki and points in the far north, and some include car
carriers.

In general, though, long distance international night trains are operated
by special organizations, as in the days of Wagon-Lit or American
Pullmans. CityNightLine is run by an arm of Deutschebahn.

http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch...night_line.pdf

Also

http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch...taly_night.pdf
http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch...er/elipsos.pdf
http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch.../lusitania.pdf
http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch...in_hamburg.pdf
http://www.eurorailways.com/kb/broch...ght_trains.pdf
http://www.italiarail.co.uk/pd/ITR/Allegro_AC

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old April 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Dorothy456 Dorothy456 is offline
Banned

Excellent brief and this article helped me alot. Say thank you I looking for your information….
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 04/09/2011 04:49 AM, Anonymouse wrote:

Hi,

in the 90s I used to get 5 day flexipasses... use 3 for overnights
(Paris Amsterdam was an overnight) but so was Amsterdam Munich,
Munich Paris, Munich Florence, and Florence Paris (a very nice
train btw)... with a standard 2 week US vacation it saved tourism days
on the 3 overnights and a couple of day trips like to Reims or Chartre.

I know Paris Amsterdam has been replaced by the TGV and it's 4+ hour
run (I understand we're waiting for Belgium to finish Brussels and
the dutch border.

but what other good long overnights are there... first class couchettes
or sleeping cars preferred.

You might want to check out CityNightLine -
http://www.citynightline.ch/citynigh...en/index.shtml