Melbourne - How safe to travel at night ?

Old November 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Lyn

What to you mean by "travel at night?".
Before 10pm you would generally have no worries in Melbourne walking through
the streets or taking public transport. I have regularly caught the last
train or tram service to the middle suburbs without any problems, but would
not recommend catching a train service to an outer suburb by yourself after
9pm.

Melbourne is overall a fairly safe place. What more would you expect from
the world's most livable city? As with anywhere, common sense applies. If
you get blind drunk & pick a fight in the street then you are bound to end
up in a dangerous situation. Yes, there are a few stabbings & shootings in
the inner city each year, but they usually involve nightclub patrons or
gangland hits (no need to worry, Carl Williams is in jail).

There are only about 200 homicides in Victoria each year, 2500 robberies,
and 25,000 cases of assault. Not bad for a population of 4.5 million.

As a tourist - relax and have a good time.

Cheers,

Lyn

"___" wrote in message
London is such a dangerous place now just wondering How Melbourne compares
?

Old November 16th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Daniel Bowen

"___" wrote in message
London is such a dangerous place now just wondering How Melbourne compares

?

It's fairly safe. Obviously don't take any risks, as things do occasionally
happen, but it's pretty safe, even in the middle of the night. Feel free to
ask about particular areas, but there's no suburbs that are especially noted
as "no go" zones.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old November 17th, 2004, 12:23 AM
___

There are only about 200 homicides in Victoria each year, 2500 robberies,
and 25,000 cases of assault. Not bad for a population of 4.5 million.

Only you say, are'nt the figures you quote enough ?!

Old November 17th, 2004, 12:23 AM
___

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:46:16 -0000, "___" wrote:

Thanks for the info. Sydney I thought was quite bad though ? London seems
to have a stabbing or murder every week now... I thought Melbourne was twice
the size of London ?

Nothing wrong with Sydney at night - provided you keep your wits
aboutyou and remain alert. I ave neve had any problems in New York
after dark either, for the same reason.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old November 17th, 2004, 01:20 PM
___

"Dave Proctor" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:46:16 -0000, "___" wrote:

Thanks for the info. Sydney I thought was quite bad though ? London

seems
to have a stabbing or murder every week now... I thought Melbourne was

twice
the size of London ?

Nothing wrong with Sydney at night - provided you keep your wits
aboutyou and remain alert. I ave neve had any problems in New York
after dark either, for the same reason.

Trouble is if you have to keep alert etc then there is something wrong
really