Driving on the unaccustomed side of the road

Old March 6th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Dave Proctor

Default Driving on the unaccustomed side of the road

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:43:55 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart"
wrote:

I would like to dissagree on the relative courtesy of drivers here in Oz
compared with those in the UK. Invariably I have found the UK drivers very
tolerant.

That is why I think the idea of "T" plates should be investigated.

(Background: In Australia, learner drivers have to display "L" plates
and newly licensed drivers have to display "P" plates.)

A car displaying a "T" plate would indicate to other drivers that the
driver was a tourist, was unfamiliar both with their surroundings and
possibly the intricacies of both local road rules and driving
etiquette, and could possibly lead to local drivers displaying
somewhat more tolerance to what appears to be idiotic driving
behaviour but which is actually confusion.

Of course, the "T" plate might be a beacon to some of the less
law-abiding members of the community who would consider them as easy
targets, which is why I am saying it should be investigated thoroughly
first.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

Of course, the "T" plate might be a beacon to some of the less
law-abiding members of the community who would consider them as easy
targets, which is why I am saying it should be investigated thoroughly
first.

In Florida they had distinctive license plates on rental cars
which had to be changed as criminals were targetting
tourists on that basis.

Keith

Old March 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Ralph R

Although being an American, I learned to drive in the UK and also have
spent quite a lot of time in Australia, including 3 years in Canberra.
I've done "the switch" many times and do not think anything of doing
it now. In disagreement with one or two of the other posts, I think
learning on the opposite side is in some ways easier and safer in a
city - there are plenty of other cars to follow as well as one way
streets to keep you out of trouble. I have, on a very few memorable
occassions, driven on the wrong side - in each case there was no other
traffic around, that is not until another car appeared around a corner
and scared the living crap out of me. It's been a long time since I've
made that mistake, knock on wood.

Ralph R, CT, USA

ojunk (John0714) wrote in message ...
This past November and December I drove extensively in the area bounded by
Adeaide, Brisbane, and Melbourne, or whatever I am an American who has driven
in the USA and Canada for 40 years. I found driving on the left often quite
disconcerting. Several times I got on the wrong side and got pulled over by the
police. No tickets or accidents unfortunately. But I feel I am living on
borrowed time and thus may never be back to anywhere you drive on the left
since vacations without automobiles I have found very unsatisfying.

I would be interested in others' experiences on driving on the unacustomed side
of the road anywhere in the world. Would you care to share?

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Alan

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 06:04:11 +1100, Dave Proctor
wrote:

That is why I think the idea of "T" plates should be investigated.

Oh yeah - the bright red french number plate on my Eurodrive Clio
proclaimed to everyone that I was a tourist.

It certainly helped the Austrian cop who made me aware of the fine for
driving on their highways without the sticker (that would have cost
about ten euros if I had known) on my windscreen. 120 euros lighter I
was suitably educated, and he had the honesty to admit he targets the
red number plates.

Whether it helped the crazy drivers in Naples avoid me, I can't say. I'm
convinced the only reason they don't have more prangs there is that they
assume everyone on the road is as crazy as they are.

Cheers, Alan

Old March 7th, 2004, 05:25 AM
vicki Steven

in article , Dave Proctor at
wrote on 7/3/04 7:59 AM:

On 06 Mar 2004 07:48:29 GMT,
ojunk (John0714) wrote:

This past November and December I drove extensively in the area bounded by
Adeaide, Brisbane, and Melbourne, or whatever I am an American who has
driven
in the USA and Canada for 40 years. I found driving on the left often quite
disconcerting. Several times I got on the wrong side and got pulled over by
the
police. No tickets or accidents unfortunately. But I feel I am living on
borrowed time and thus may never be back to anywhere you drive on the left
since vacations without automobiles I have found very unsatisfying.

I would be interested in others' experiences on driving on the unacustomed
side
of the road anywhere in the world. Would you care to share?

I never have a problem with the actual driving as long as there is
traffic around. I find it easy to stay on the correct side as I merely
follow the other traffic.

Where I have problems is when the road is deserted, I often find
myself on the wrong side. I also have trouble remembering to reverse
the sides I look to - instead of "right, left, right" it becomes
"left, right, left".

This is why many South Island roads have white arrows painted on indicating
the correct side of the road ;-) - these occur after picnic or rest areas,
scenic lookouts and one lane bridges, where people are likely to become
disorientated.

Vicki

Old March 7th, 2004, 11:38 AM
John0714

Of course, the "T" plate might be a beacon to some of the less
law-abiding members of the community who would consider them as easy
targets, which is why I am saying it should be investigated thoroughly
first.

A similar thing used to result in Europeans being murdered in Miami.

Old March 7th, 2004, 11:41 AM
John0714

Beware. The dangerous period is when you go back home. You think that you
don't have to concentrate anymore (bacuase its back to how it should be),
but in fact you are now at least partially accusatomed to driving on the
other side.

Too true):

Old March 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
John0714

Cant say I've ever had a problem when renting a car overseas
since the steering wheel being on the wrong side of the
vehicle tends to jog the old memory.

That's what I used to theorise would be the case. Howerver in practise it was
almost no factor.

Old March 7th, 2004, 11:48 AM
John0714

going to signal and turning on the wipers....

I began to hope those who saw my wipers going in broad daylight knew what it
was all about.