The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jay lunis

Default The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

Ike wrote:
There was a time when virtually 100% of the men attending a profesional
baseball game wore a suit and a hat. "Sport shirts" were for sports, and
"tennis shoes" were for tennis.

And in those years, when the grand liners of history served only the
affluent, EVERY night was formal night. "Dressing for dinner" was
mandatory in the prime of the Queen and on the superb Cunard ships, and
men who never asked the cost of anything would arrive with luggage that
included several tuxedos or dinner jackets plus a box of their favorite
cigars, as their wives brought an array of splendid gowns. They often
traveled with their servants...

Today, the vast majority of people who go cruising don't own formal
wear. Many don't even have suits, and if they did retain something from
their business history it probably no longer fits. And some of today's
cruisers ARE servants - on vacation...

I think the days of "formal nights" are numbered, and the dress code
will be ignored more and more frequently. Eventually, most lines will go
the way of Oceania, which gives up nothing in food, service, and
ambience and diners are welcome in khakis and a golf shirt. That
environment is certainly pleasant, just less pretentious.

Of course, there are some who truly enjoy "dressing for dinner", and for
them there will be ships - or perhaps specific cruises - that promote
formal dining and the supposed elegance that goes with it.

As for my wife and me, we're about to spend almost two weeks on an
Oceania cruise, with a few days ashore at each end. We'll each use ONE
small rolling bag - that will handle my dress khakis, and her sequin'd
jeans suit.

Ike
...tuxless - it'll never fit again!

To revisit the original post.
My wife and I have cruised for many years (and multiple times a year).
Many people enjoy formal night and I, for one, do not mind them.
IF (and a significant 'IF') formal dress is not required. And it is
already moving that way. On our first cruise almost every one dressed
formally. On our most recent cruise, less than a third.
Let the pictures continue. Let the tux and formal gowns continue. But
not as required to sit for dinner. Current restrictions (slacks for
men, no hats, no sandals, etc) are good enough.
Another change I have noticed. Far more people are eating in the buffet
line in the evening and not in the formal dining room. I have recently
been seated at a table for 8 and, on occasion, my wife and I have been
the only two at the table.
And my pet peeve . . . strange foods on the evening menu. I know it is
for variety, foreign guests, and snob appeal . . and this might explain
some of the formal dinner defections.
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"jay lunis" wrote

Another change I have noticed. Far more people are eating in the buffet
line in the evening and not in the formal dining room. I have recently
been seated at a table for 8 and, on occasion, my wife and I have been the
only two at the table.

Actually, this works well with group cruises. Most of the time we try to
get all of the group seated in the same area. On nights when some people
are in the buffet and others in the "added-cost" specialty restaurants, we
mix and combine tables. That gives group members a chance to dine with
different members of the group.

Also... many group members choose to do a night or two at the buffet so they
can have dinner with people not seated at their table.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 10, 9:08 am, jay lunis wrote:

And my pet peeve . . . strange foods on the evening menu.

Like what, for instance?

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jay lunis

LeeNY wrote:
On Oct 10, 9:08 am, jay lunis wrote:

And my pet peeve . . . strange foods on the evening menu.

Like what, for instance?

Well, I can't remember exact dishes, but one I do remember is Broiled
Goat. I asked our server how many people order Broiled Goat and was
told something close to 'Don't know . . . I have been here 4 months and
no one at my tables has ordered it.' The supervisor over the waiters (I
forget his title) said it war 'infrequent' to see Broiled Goat ordered.
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"jay lunis" wrote

Well, I can't remember exact dishes, but one I do remember is Broiled
Goat. I asked our server how many people order Broiled Goat and was told
something close to 'Don't know . . . I have been here 4 months and no one
at my tables has ordered it.' The supervisor over the waiters (I forget
his title) said it war 'infrequent' to see Broiled Goat ordered.

I look at this totally differently. On the rare occasion that I see
something on the menu that is different or I have never had... I usually
order it. If I don't like it, I can send it back and get something else.
If I do like it... I am happy I tried something new.

I also tend to try to order things that I normally don't cook at home if
available.

BTW - I have eaten goat... in Jamaica, years ago. It was pretty good.

Old October 10th, 2007, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Daniel R. Bonham

And what did your Nanny say about that?

Sorry. Could not resist!

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 10, 9:34 am, "George Leppla" wrote:
"jay lunis" wrote

Well, I can't remember exact dishes, but one I do remember is Broiled
Goat. I asked our server how many people order Broiled Goat and was told
something close to 'Don't know . . . I have been here 4 months and no one
at my tables has ordered it.' The supervisor over the waiters (I forget
his title) said it war 'infrequent' to see Broiled Goat ordered.

I look at this totally differently. On the rare occasion that I see
something on the menu that is different or I have never had... I usually
order it. If I don't like it, I can send it back and get something else.
If I do like it... I am happy I tried something new.

George - that's exactly the attitude I take as well. I think a cruise
menu offers a great opportunity to experiment with foods that may be
unfamiliar. It's absolutely no-risk! As you said, if it turns out you
don't like what you try, you can just order something else.

I also tend to try to order things that I normally don't cook at home if
available.

Right. Like escargot.

BTW - I have eaten goat... in Jamaica, years ago. It was pretty good.

I had goat in Jamaica too. It was goat curry, available in the buffet
at a Sandals resort. Can't say I've ever seen "broiled" goat on any
menu, much less a cruise ship menu. But, I'd try it, if it was
available.

I think cruise ship menus tend to sound a lot more exotic than they
really are. For the most part, the menus are designed to please the
typical chain-restaurant American palate. If they got too exotic,
there would be a lot of unhappy passengers.

Don't know if you'll like something unless you try it.

Lee

Old October 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jay lunis

George Leppla wrote:
"jay lunis" wrote

Well, I can't remember exact dishes, but one I do remember is Broiled
Goat. I asked our server how many people order Broiled Goat and was told
something close to 'Don't know . . . I have been here 4 months and no one
at my tables has ordered it.' The supervisor over the waiters (I forget
his title) said it war 'infrequent' to see Broiled Goat ordered.

I look at this totally differently. On the rare occasion that I see
something on the menu that is different or I have never had... I usually
order it. If I don't like it, I can send it back and get something else.
If I do like it... I am happy I tried something new.

I also tend to try to order things that I normally don't cook at home if
available.

BTW - I have eaten goat... in Jamaica, years ago. It was pretty good.

First let me define 'strange.' It will mean exactly what I want it to mean.
I do NOT mean 'strange' as something no one would want or it is
startling to think someone would eat it. 'Strange,' in this context,
means 'why would a resturant provide a food it knows is ordered not at
all or infrequently' when a different food get more takers.
My few guesses . . .
part of the snob appeal
some obsession chefs have with variety over customer demand
a sense that baked chicken, spaghetti, meat loaf, etc. are too
pedestrian for the cruise menu. (maybe the same as 'snob appeal.')
Yes, I have also eaten some of these strange foods.
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:40:23 -0400, Brian K wrote:

Ladies, do you remember those constrictive girdles that went from thigh
to bra? Well, that's what a tux feels like for some men, hot and
restrictive. They don't call 'em monkey suits because they are the nth
degree of comfort.

That's a real problem. I suggest that when you put on such attire that you go
directly from your stateroom down to the air conditioned dining room and
not do any heavy manual labor. It would be best to put off that engine
room pump rebuild you were planing on accomplishing until after dinner.