The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

Default The era of FORMAL NIGHTS is fading rapidly...

I've eaten a lot of goat, cooked many ways.

It's pretty good in pungently spiced stews with vegetables, and
shredded with wild onions, peppers, and garlic it can be very
tasty. But to eat broiled goat meat you'd best have strong teeth
and patience...

Ike
- who prefers a Porterhouse Deuce at Wolfgang's
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ermalee
wrote:

The more references that I see to the broiled goat, the more I think the
OP must have meant broiled goat cheese salad. That sounds more like the
reality to me.

I agree. I have seen broiled goat cheese salad on menus. Never broiled
goat.

--
Charles
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

On any of our 45 cruises have never seen broiled goat ,or
sweetbreads,UGH.

cruise lover

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message
. ..
"jay lunis" wrote in message

My guess is goat is very tasty. After all, there are more goats in
the world than cows.

--
Greg

In this hungry world... usually the opposite happens. The better tasting
stuff disappears quickly.

--Tom

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

LeeNY wrote:

Are you sure that what they were calling mutton wasn't actually mutton
and not goat?

Lee

Yeah ... in both cases the line cook told us when he was pressed for the
information. Goat is quite cheap in the Islands.

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/10/2007 11:46 AM AZ Nomad consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:40:23 -0400, Brian K wrote:

Ladies, do you remember those constrictive girdles that went from thigh
to bra? Well, that's what a tux feels like for some men, hot and
restrictive. They don't call 'em monkey suits because they are the nth
degree of comfort.

That's a real problem. I suggest that when you put on such attire that you go
directly from your stateroom down to the air conditioned dining room and
not do any heavy manual labor. It would be best to put off that engine
room pump rebuild you were planing on accomplishing until after dinner.

Thanks for the left-handed advice. I do not engage in heavy physical
activity in formal wear. I feel hot and restricted nevertheless. Plus,
my clothes fit, they aren't a size too small. I dread formal nights,
and as soon as I can I get out of such clothes into something comfortable.

Eating is a simple function as is using the bathroom or brushing one's
teeth. Yet, you don't see announcements for formal tooth brushing or a
formal loo. So why make this big ritual about eating?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/10/2007 10:02 AM jay lunis consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
George Leppla wrote:
"jay lunis" wrote

Well, I can't remember exact dishes, but one I do remember is
Broiled Goat. I asked our server how many people order Broiled Goat
and was told something close to 'Don't know . . . I have been here 4
months and no one at my tables has ordered it.' The supervisor over
the waiters (I forget his title) said it war 'infrequent' to see
Broiled Goat ordered.

I look at this totally differently. On the rare occasion that I see
something on the menu that is different or I have never had... I
usually order it. If I don't like it, I can send it back and get
something else. If I do like it... I am happy I tried something new.

I also tend to try to order things that I normally don't cook at home
if available.

BTW - I have eaten goat... in Jamaica, years ago. It was pretty good.

First let me define 'strange.' It will mean exactly what I want it to
mean.
I do NOT mean 'strange' as something no one would want or it is
startling to think someone would eat it. 'Strange,' in this context,
means 'why would a resturant provide a food it knows is ordered not at
all or infrequently' when a different food get more takers.
My few guesses . . .
part of the snob appeal
some obsession chefs have with variety over customer demand
a sense that baked chicken, spaghetti, meat loaf, etc. are too
pedestrian for the cruise menu. (maybe the same as 'snob appeal.')
Yes, I have also eaten some of these strange foods.

What say we throw another dozen scorpions on the barbie? Then we'll top
it off with Madagascar Hissing Roaches in aspic or we could start the
whole thing off with some goat's head soup sprinkled with live African
termites. You guys have to get to experience real exotic cuisine before
you think boiled goat is adventurous dining.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Surfer E2468" wrote in message
On any of our 45 cruises have never seen broiled goat ,or
sweetbreads,UGH.

cruise lover

I haven't seen goat, but sweetbreads I have seen on almost all of our 16
Princess cruises.

--
Greg

Old October 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gregory C. Read[_2_]

"Tom K" wrote in message

"Gregory C. Read" wrote in message My
guess is goat is very tasty. After all, there are more goats in
the world than cows.

--
Greg

In this hungry world... usually the opposite happens. The better tasting
stuff disappears quickly.

--Tom

You make a good point, but I certainly have no problem with goat cheese or
goat's milk. So I see no reason why goat's meat shouldn't be ok.

--
Greg

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 11, 2:25 am, Brian K wrote:

Eating is a simple function as is using the bathroom or brushing one's
teeth. Yet, you don't see announcements for formal tooth brushing or a
formal loo. So why make this big ritual about eating?

That's really sad that this is how you view one of the great pleasures
in life. However, it's very Hopi of you to think that way - one eats
for sustenance and little more.

Most cultures include some kind of feast when they celebrate whatever
it is that they celebrate. Our most American of holidays,
Thanksgiving, revolves around the feast, for instance.

Eating can be seen as a simple function, but so much fun, pleasure and
enjoyment would be missed if that's how we think of it. Of course, not
every meal needs to be a celebration (although I think we should
always try to eat things that we enjoy), but if the opportunity is
there, then why not?

Lee
--
________