Payless rental car company @ San Fran ? Looking for opinions other options

Old November 29th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Joe Blo

Default Payless rental car company @ San Fran ? Looking for opinions other options

I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
for?
What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
website services to use.
I am trying to find a deal that offers unlimited miles within
california.
Thanks
Old November 29th, 2003, 01:55 PM
CC Bailey

Joe Blo wrote:

I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
for?

I rented a compact from their Fox brand a couple weeks ago in LA
for $21 a day directly from their website--the rate was cheaper
than through sites such as Orbitz and expedia. They also have 5
and 10% coupons on the website for senior citizens, students, and
those celebrating a birthday within a month of rental.

The website is http://www.foxrentacar.com/ THe first time I went
to the site, it asked me if I preferred Fox or Payless, so you can
use the site for either company, I think.

What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
website services to use.

I brought a copy of my insurance card and coverage amounts from my
insurance agent, and they didn't push me to sign up for any other
coverages, saying my info was adequate.

The car was a Deawoo (sp?), and had a bit of body damage to it.
Nothing major, just a few little scrapes. I was careful to make
sure all the damage was noted on the form before I ever started
the car. When I returned the car, they didn't even look to see if
I had damaged it at all. I didn't damage the car, but I thought
they'd at least look.

Old November 29th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Michael Graham

Hi there

I have used a few times in Las Vegas and have found their rates to be
the lowest 90% of the time. Not a bad company to rent from. Only
complaint I have is that seems to take for ever for the shuttle to
their rental location to show up at the airport. This is in comparison
to the larger more expensive companies that seem to have a bus drive
every few minutes.

Hope this helps
M. Graham

Old November 29th, 2003, 10:28 PM
devil

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:35:34 -0800, Joe Blo wrote:

I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
for?
What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
website services to use.

I confess I would be reluctant to deal with a business with that sort of a
name.

Old November 30th, 2003, 12:18 AM
CoastWatcher

The name doesn't mean squat.. If that's the best price you can get go
for it! I think they are owned by Sears or some big outfit. Anyway, I
wouldn't advise any of their 'add-ons'. They are for the most part a
rip-off and aren't needed. They don't push those nearly as much as they
used to. I wouldn't worry. But renting a car in SF? Why? It may be
more trouble than its worth? SF is a great city to get around without a
car.

Old November 30th, 2003, 12:21 AM
mrt

Coas****cher wrote:

The name doesn't mean squat.. If that's the best price you can get go
for it! I think they are owned by Sears or some big outfit. Anyway, I
wouldn't advise any of their 'add-ons'. They are for the most part a
rip-off and aren't needed. They don't push those nearly as much as they
used to. I wouldn't worry. But renting a car in SF? Why? It may be
more trouble than its worth? SF is a great city to get around without a
car.

Especially if you end up staying in the city and paying $30 or more per
day to park.

Old December 1st, 2003, 01:04 AM
devil

devil wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:35:34 -0800, Joe Blo wrote:

I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
for?
What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
website services to use.

I confess I would be reluctant to deal with a business with that sort of a
name.

Actually, names usually mean *something.* Addresses a market segment with
specific priorities.

Old December 1st, 2003, 12:13 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:28:52 GMT devil wrote:

:On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:35:34 -0800, Joe Blo wrote:

: I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
: christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
: week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
: To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
: for?
: What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
: when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
: airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
: website services to use.

:I confess I would be reluctant to deal with a business with that sort of a
:name.

Do you also have problems going into "discount" stores?

Buying things on "sale"?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:19 PM
devil

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:13:23 +0200, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:28:52 GMT devil wrote:

:On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:35:34 -0800, Joe Blo wrote:

: I will be taking a trip to San Francisco for two weeks around the
: christmas time. The rates on Orbitz.com for Payless are for $188 a
: week for a compact car. This rate seems too good to be true.
: To anyone who has rented from this company, what should I look out
: for?
: What extras do I truly need to pay for and which ones can I decline
: when they push them. If there are better deals at San Francisco
: airport or nearby for rental cars, please share your advice on which
: website services to use.

:I confess I would be reluctant to deal with a business with that sort of a
:name.

Do you also have problems going into "discount" stores?

Yes. Depends upon what I am after. I don't patronize Payless Shoes.

Buying things on "sale"?

If it's truly a sale, no. If they jus bought a lot of cheap crap to make
it into a fake sale, I would say yes.

In the current instance, I can see the OP coming back later and
complaining on all the horror stories that may follow. Of course, that
may end up not being the case. But if the price difference is small why
risking. If it's large, then it gets even more worrysome.