Iceland

Old March 9th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Kuno Zurkinden

Default Iceland

Hi
I'm going to travel to Icelan. Does someone have any experiences and
suggestions where we can stay there (ex. farms - how and when to book; tent;
youthhostels). We wanna go hiking - good idea? what is with bycicle and and
and...

thanks

kuno

Old March 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Jens

Kuno Zurkinden wrote:
Hi
I'm going to travel to Icelan. Does someone have any experiences and
suggestions where we can stay there (ex. farms - how and when to book; tent;
youthhostels). We wanna go hiking - good idea? what is with bycicle and and
and...

thanks

kuno

Hi,

I went there for some years ago for one month staying in a tent and
travelling by public buses or hitchhiking. Hiking is excellent. Don't
miss the Landmannalaugar-Skogar trek.

I've also seen some cyclists though that is not my cup of tea.

If you have more specific questions I'd be glad to answer them.

Jens
Old March 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Kuno Zurkinden

Hi Jens

Thanks for the response. Yes, I do have any furter questions: how is it to
travel around by bus? Do they lead more or less to the trail? I heard about
a the busses that run around the Island, but not into the Island itself. Are
there any other busses?
How is hiking? Does some maps exist, or do you have to find the route
yourself? You know, I was in Lappland last summer and there the trail wasn't
signed very good, so I have no idea how it is in other countys. In
switzerland you're a little bit spoiled. And when I was in Canada, it wasn't
as bad as well.
So, thanks for the answer and when the project gets closer, i'll probably
bomb you with more questions. It's hard to find s.o. with experiences about
Iceland.

Old March 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Jens

Hi Kuno

you are right, there is usually just one or two buses per day on any
route. There are also two or three routes crossing the interior though.
You should check out www.bsi.is for all the routes and prices.

Actually there was a strike of the bus drivers when I was in Iceland.
That's why I had to hitchhike quite a lot to get around. Except for one
time at Rif (?), this was quite easy. I never had to wait more than one
hour. Would not try this in the interior tough. People are nice and it is a
lot of fun on those huge jeeps.

As far as hiking is concerned, I only did Landmannalaugar-Skogar (bus,
map, markings all exist, the most famous trek, it's difficult to get lost
there) and a bit in Hengill (close to Selfoss, bus ok, markings ok, map should
also exist), Skaftafell (bus, markings, map) and Myvatn.

These are all close to the ring road. Unless you are very much
interested in deserts, hiking in the interior should not be very
attractive anyway, except for north of the Vatnajoekull to some crater
(forgot the name) maybe.

Jens