Currencies in Uganda and Tanzania

Old February 13th, 2004, 01:30 PM
justin

Default Currencies in Uganda and Tanzania

From traveling in sub saharan before I remember US dollars is king. However,
I also seem to remember that in old British colonies Sterling (pounds) are
just as good and since I live in the UK that would be easier. But I am not
sure about this. Should I bring some US$ or will Sterling suffice? The trip
is prepaid and all I need cash for will be souvenirs, taxis and the odd meal
here or there.

I am going to Uganda and Tanzania.

Any thoughts?

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Rita Daggett

"justin" wrote in message
From traveling in sub saharan before I remember US dollars is king.

However,
I also seem to remember that in old British colonies Sterling (pounds) are
just as good and since I live in the UK that would be easier. But I am not
sure about this. Should I bring some US$ or will Sterling suffice? The

trip
is prepaid and all I need cash for will be souvenirs, taxis and the odd

meal
here or there.

I am going to Uganda and Tanzania.

Any thoughts?

When we were in Tanzania a couple of years ago, it was US$ they wanted - I
think the departure tax HAD to be US$.
(we were in Zambia last year and again it was US$, tho the owner of the
lodge we were at said some of his European agents had castigated him for not
pricing in and accepting Euros - so he did. But the exchange rates had
changed, and they now all wanted to pay him in $.)
--
Rita Daggett

Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Rick

"justin" wrote in message
From traveling in sub saharan before I remember US dollars is king.

However,
I also seem to remember that in old British colonies Sterling (pounds) are
just as good and since I live in the UK that would be easier. But I am not
sure about this. Should I bring some US$ or will Sterling suffice? The

trip
is prepaid and all I need cash for will be souvenirs, taxis and the odd

meal
here or there.

I am going to Uganda and Tanzania.

Any thoughts?

I am not 100% up to date - I travelled to Africa four years ago, but my
impression is that people wise up to currency fluctuations very quickly -
especially those who sell things to tourists. The US dollar is not what it
was - it's about one fifth weaker than a year ago - so I would take pounds.
However, it depends where you go. Commonwealth countries will jump at
pounds, but maybe other countries would still be happier to see greenbacks.
But still take travellers cheques - it's safer!