To Raggae or Not to Reggae

Old September 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Mingo[_1_]

Default To Raggae or Not to Reggae

It's finally going to happen...the money is right, the time is right,
I've finally sold it to my guy and now...I'm worried if Jamaica is
really the best choice.

I would like to hear from people who are die hard Jamaican travelers.
What draws you back? Any thing you'd not recommend to do? Where were
your best stays at? When is the best time of year to go?

This has been my dream vacation, I love the music, love a tropical
location, love the idea of an all inclusive trip with no worries or
hassels.

I'm second guessing my choice by all the negativity I'm hearing about
crime in Jamaica, and people saying there really isn't all that much to
do but hang out at the resor...I've been suggested to look at Belize
instead...but looking on line I just don't get the same feel, the all
inclusives look a bit more home catered type of fair, which is all
good, but I really like the looks of the resorts of Nigril.

Belize looks beautiful, but I'm just not sure...any thoughts about
vacationing in Belize?

--
Mingo
Old September 26th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Redlocks

I would first ask, what is it about Jamaica that you find attractive?

Staying in an all-inclusive segregates you from the local population
and makes it harder to experience the true Jamaica. The walls of the
compound seperate the haves from the have-nots. On the other hand
if you are looking for a relaxing escape all-inclusive may be the way to
go. There also may be other destinations that may work for you.
You might want to buy the Lonely Planet Caribbean guide which
will aloow you to compare the offerings of various Caribbean islands.

Redlocks

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Nick and Judy

I know some people hate the all-inclusive idea, but if you are looking for a
easy, relaxing, vacation it is great. Especially if you like to drink. No
worries about where you are going to eat, no traveler's checks, no driving
etc. We have done both all inclusive and hotel only, but in Jamaica we have
only gone all-inclusive. Granted we are not experiencing the real Jamaica,
but that is not what we wanted at the time. One of these days we will take a
trip to experience the rest of the island. I think most of the crime stories
are isolated/or urban myths. We talked to a few people on our most recent
visit and they said they had no problem renting a car and driving around.
We usually stay at adults only resorts and Jamaica has the most to choose
from.
We just came back from Sandals Whitehouse and it was great. Nightlife was a
little lame but that was OK for us. Beautiful new resort, long deserted
beach(it's the only hotel there for now), great food, alcohol and the staff
is incredible.
We have also been to Couples Negril and Ochos Rios, Grand Lido Braco, and
Sandals Negril.
Generally we have found that you get what you pay for. If you don't mind
so-so buffet food and non-branded liquor you can find cheaper places than
those I have mentioned. Most of these hotels offer side trips to some local
sights. Sometimes included, sometimes not. We prefer to park our lazy butts
on the beach and enjoy the ocean!
Go to www.tripadvisor.com and read reviews. I heard Sandals Negril is
getting a bit old and it has been over 12 years since we were there. You
didn't mentions your ages. Whitehouse had a mix of honeymooners and older
couples. Most of these places have activities/games during the day for those
who are interested.

Old September 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected][_1_]

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:14:16 -0500, Mingo
wrote:

It's finally going to happen...the money is right, the time is right,
I've finally sold it to my guy and now...I'm worried if Jamaica is
really the best choice.

snip

I've never been to Jamaica and never want to go, just because of the
bad things I have been hearing for years.

Belize looks beautiful, but I'm just not sure...any thoughts about
vacationing in Belize?

Belize is much more diverse than Jamaica could ever be. There are
plenty of AIs in Belize, but I would guess you've only been looking at
Ambergris. You really should look more into Cayo (Blancaneaux in
Mountain Pine Ridge is outstanding), DuPlooy's, Windy Hill, Chaa
Creek, Banana Bank, and Thousand Foot Falls, Orange Walk (Lamanai
Outpost), Dangriga, Placencia, and points between. There's so much to
do in Belize, you'll want to return again and again.

Not to mention it's easy to get to, English is the official language,
they drive on the right, indigenous music everywhere (Belizeans like
to party), and the people are wonderful. Which is not the case in
Jamaica, so I understand.

Or if you *really* want an adventure, try Montserrat.
Old September 26th, 2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
nospam

How can you judge Jamaica (or any place for that matter) if you have never
been there and going only by hearsay and not first hand experience. Little
closed minded I say. We have been to JA 17 times and love it. We go to
AI's and we are not in seclusion. We infact get out and about (and not
just on escorted tours). I visit local schools and go to local stores.
Jamaicans as a whole are very warm and friendly people. You can find
poverty and bad people anywhere in the world and in the US. Don't knock it
if you don't try it. If you go there and don't like I can say, yeah fine.

Old September 26th, 2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
nospam

We have been going to Jamaica since 1989 (17 times) and love it. We stay in
AI's. We do not stay "segregated" or whole up in the resort, however. I
get sick of those saying you don't experience the "real Jamaica" staying in
an AI. Bull hockies, unless you do stay on the resort, never venturing out.
WE do. I have gone to local schools (bearing gifts) and walked to local
stores to shop. We go about, and not just on escorted tours. Try Jamaica,
if you don't like it, fine. It leaves more room for those who do. But at
least try it, and not just staying on the resort either.

ink.net...

Old September 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Bob Westcott

Mingo wrote:
[...]

I haven't been to Jamaica in 15 years, but I was in Belize last year.

If I just wanted to lay on a beach, I'd go to Negril. If I wanted an
active vacation, I'd go to Belize. It really depends upon the type of
person you are and what you really want from a vacation.

I won't comment on the all inclusive thing; there are times and
situations where AI may be the better way to go (Cuba comes to mind). I
would hate to think of all the local interaction you'd miss in either
country if you did and all inclusive...

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
nospam

We have been going to JA since 1989 (17 - 18 times). We have gone to other
Caribbean countries and Europe, too. We like Jamaica because of the
culture, people, food, music. We have not had one bad experience there. If
you do go, you can do the usual Dunn's river falls. Or you could hire a
private driver (there are many good reputable tour operators or just have
the hotel hire a taxi) to get a really good, personalized tour of the
island. We have done the usual tourist stops, Dunn's River Falls, river
rafting, horseback riding (land & water), plantations, cruises. I have also
visited local schools to bring the many school supplies I bring. I shop at
local stores (usually within walking distance to the hotel). We prefer
Sandals resorts, but have also stayed at Couples and Superclubs hotels. We
like the level of service and the AI concept. (Sandals has just now
instituted a "cashless" resort - much like the cruise lines now do). We
don't sequester ourselves in the AI, however, as some do. Best time of the
year to go is Mar-May and Nov-Dec (usually low or shoulder seasons). We
never go during hurricane season. Even though the rates are cheaper, we
would rather not gamble on the weather. Mar & Apr are the driest months -
warm sun, cool breezes.

Old September 27th, 2006, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
[email protected][_1_]

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 22:47:18 GMT, "nospam" wrote:

How can you judge Jamaica (or any place for that matter) if you have never
been there and going only by hearsay and not first hand experience. Little
closed minded I say. We have been to JA 17 times and love it. We go to

Really? You infactgetout?

How interesting NOT.

AI's and we are not in seclusion. We infact get out and about (and not
just on escorted tours). I visit local schools and go to local stores.
Jamaicans as a whole are very warm and friendly people. You can find
poverty and bad people anywhere in the world and in the US. Don't knock it
if you don't try it. If you go there and don't like I can say, yeah fine.

.. .

Old September 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Mingo

Thank you so much for your replies!

What I want to get out of this trip is to enjoy the tropical
surroundings, we like to party (ok as much near 50 year olds
party...not the college student variety...could not keep up, thank you
very much) my guy likes to scuba, and I can see us both enjoying the
catamaran, and Dunn's fall tours.

I want to go out and about during the day some days, other days hang by
the pool and chill...we plan on staying around 10 days...4 or 5 days
with just my guy, and I alone and the rest of the trip have two other
couples meet up with us so we don't get bored with each other so I'd
have to incorperate their likes and dislikes ....so somethings that will
be for all to enjoy too.

What draws me to the AI's is that every thing is paid for upfront for
the most part...spending/tourista stuff aside, our meals, lodging,
DRINKS, and flight are paid for. I like that aspect a lot. A resort
setting w/lounging areas, and beautiful beaches are also right up my
alley!

My guy is going along not because he has the burning desire to travel,
but he knows this has been my dream vacation, and I'm hoping he'll get
a little bit of the travel bug into him to realize that there is life
outside of our 31 acres and I think that once he got there he'd have
a blast! That's why I really want to make the right choice in location,
and activities.

I don't want to venture outside of the resort after hours, but during
the day I would not be a scared little mouse afraid of eye contact
w/the natives...I want to absorb the culture where ever we end up, and
both my guy and I are social blenders who like to have fun & I don't
see a problem with us being in the mix...some in the group that meet up
with us might have some problems...but my theory is come along if you
want, if not chill by the pool and do your own thing for a few
hours....It'll be okay!

Belize, on the other hand, I know very little about, but would love the
Myan tours, and other sites to explore...I'm not into extreme outdoor
adventure, and consider myself a klutz so low key excursions are more
to my liking. I'll go back and look at the areas suggested and see if
it sways me any more....

Thanks again for your helpful replies...and if you think of anything
more to add after I explained more details I'm happy to hear more!

Mingo

--
Mingo