Hotel Bill

Old April 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graz

Default Hotel Bill

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:12:55 GMT, "john smith"
wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:15:22 -0400, "paddy_nyr"
wrote:

"paddy_nyr" wrote in message
Can I pay for individual items on my hotel bill upon my departure?

Thanks for everyone's help and the hotel I stayed at allowed me to pay for
individual items on my hotel bill.

I had watched a movie and had taken a beer from the mini-bar and rather
than
deal with my company I paid for it before I left, so I'd have a nice clean
bill to submit to accounting.

Your company won't pay for one beer???

Most probably a XXXX movie, rather.

Say no more!

Old April 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Your company won't pay for one beer???

Some companies don't permit traveling employees to charge food to the
company. Instead they give a lump sum cash payment (a "per diem) to
the employee before they leave for the trip, that they can use for
their meals.

For example, if the per diem is $40 a day, and an employee is leaving
for a 2-day trip, they'd be given $80 for their food. If they spend
more than $80 on food, they have to pay the extra themself. If they
spend less, they get to keep the difference. But they can't charge
food to the company.
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

wrote:

Your company won't pay for one beer???

Some companies don't permit traveling employees to charge food to the
company. Instead they give a lump sum cash payment (a "per diem) to
the employee before they leave for the trip, that they can use for
their meals.

For example, if the per diem is $40 a day, and an employee is leaving
for a 2-day trip, they'd be given $80 for their food. If they spend
more than $80 on food, they have to pay the extra themself. If they
spend less, they get to keep the difference. But they can't charge
food to the company.

When I worked for the federal government back in the 70s they paid a
certain amount either as a per diem if away on business, or per meal. I
was usually only eligible for the lunch ticket which was IIRC $4.50 at
the time, and we didn't have to be very far from the office to qualify
for it.. When I worked for the provincial government we were eligible for
meal allowances if we were 24 km away from our headquarters. There was a
limit for breakfast, lunch and dinners, and a daily maximum. It was only
later than we had to provide receipts. You did okay if in an area where
there were lots of cheap restaurants, but if you were stuck in a hotel
somewhere their meal prices were usually substantially more than the
allowance. For instance, when I was booked into a hotel for my
retirement seminar the allowance for dinner was $18. The cheapest entree
on the restaurant dinner menu was $32 and the $5 allowance for breakfast
would barely cover coffee and toast.

Old April 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

when I was booked into a hotel for my
retirement seminar the allowance for dinner
was $18. The cheapest entree on the restaurant
dinner menu was $32

Yikes!

One common misconception about per diem is that it's supposed to be
enough to pay the entire bill. Actually many companies state that it's
only intended to cover the DIFFERENCE in cost between eating at home
vs eating in a restaurant. But even so, your per diem clearly wasn't
enough in that situation!
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

wrote:

when I was booked into a hotel for my
retirement seminar the allowance for dinner
was $18. The cheapest entree on the restaurant
dinner menu was $32

Yikes!

One common misconception about per diem is that it's supposed to be
enough to pay the entire bill. Actually many companies state that it's
only intended to cover the DIFFERENCE in cost between eating at home
vs eating in a restaurant. But even so, your per diem clearly wasn't
enough in that situation!

As I mentioned, it depends on where you are staying and the nature of your
business. I had no problem finding meals locally for well under the meal
allowances. When we were allowed $9 for lunch I knew lots of places where
I could get a great lunch for a lot less. At that time. we were allowed
$18 for dinner and we had very well for a lot less. But when they book
you into a hotel in a strange city and it is too much hassle to go and
look for a place, you are often at the mercy of the hotel restaurant.

Just before I retired, they came out with a new scheme. They got us all
American Express Cards that we were supposed to use for hotels and meals.
We had to apply for the cards personally, so the statements were sent to
us and we had to pay them out of our pockets. I never did figure out who
got the kickback on that deal. Most of us figured that if we were
personally responsible for paying the bills there was no reason that we
could not use Visa or Mastercard.