Barbecues at Grand Canyon North Rim!!

Old April 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

Default Barbecues at Grand Canyon North Rim!!

wrote in message
A small electric grill can be set up in seconds ...

.
As long as you have someplace to plug it in.

True; I was assuming the cabins had electricity.

James

They do but its basically for lighting only. I dont recall if there
were any power outlets in the one I stayed in but they were
pretty small and rustic, no TV, AC (not that you need it)

Keith

Old April 11th, 2008, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

there actually have been cases of people
trying to cook/heat their own food on commercial flights

.
Isn't airport security sensitive about people bringing flammable
liquids or ignition devices these days? *

Yes; the incidents I've heard of occurred several years ago and mostly
in India, Asia, etc.

But people do crazy things sometimes. Years ago I saw a CBS reporter
talking about taking a commercial flight in Russia and he was shocked
to discover that a fellow passenger had a glass jar on his lap
containing hundreds of live bees. Yikes!

James
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
there actually have been cases of people
trying to cook/heat their own food on commercial flights

..
Isn't airport security sensitive about people bringing flammable
liquids or ignition devices these days?

Yes; the incidents I've heard of occurred several years ago and mostly
in India, Asia, etc.

But people do crazy things sometimes. Years ago I saw a CBS reporter
talking about taking a commercial flight in Russia and he was shocked
to discover that a fellow passenger had a glass jar on his lap
containing hundreds of live bees. Yikes!

James

Doesnt surprise me, I recall an internal Aeroflot flight from Moscow
to Leningrad in the 70's which was overbooked. They let two
passengers on board for whom there were no seats. They sat on their
suitcases in the aisle.

Keith

Old April 12th, 2008, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On 2008-04-08 04:37:06 -0400, "Sharx35" said:

What is so DAMNED important about HAVING to ALWAYS have an effing barbecue
available? Ever heard of RESTAURANTS????

At the North Rim?

Well - yes.

http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinf...tentKey=221226

Dining at the North Rim

Perched along the North Rim, with expansive windows overlooking
spectacular vistas, the Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim offers
exceptional, memorable dining experiences, first-come-first-served,
complete with sunrises and sunsets, and hearty western fare.

Grand Cookout Experience

Deli in the Pines

Other Dining Options:
In addition to the dining room, the Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
offers food and beverages in The Roughrider Saloon and The Coffee
Shop. Convenience items are available at The General Store.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

On 2008-04-08 04:37:06 -0400, "Sharx35" said:

What is so DAMNED important about HAVING to ALWAYS have an effing
barbecue
available? Ever heard of RESTAURANTS????

At the North Rim?

The lodge dining room is magnificent and there is a fast food joint
as I recall.

Keith

Old April 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera

I know you're kidding, but there actually have been cases of people
trying to cook/heat their own food on commercial flights, using
candles, sterno, etc. A fire started that way on a flight in India a
few years ago.

Wow. I hadn't heard about somebody cooking with fire on a plane
(sounds like a good way to get dragged off in a straitjacket, coated
with fire-extinguisher residue, even pre-9/11).

A *train* fire in Egypt a few years ago with perhaps as many as 370
fatalities was widely blamed on en-route cooking by a passenger
(supposedly fairly common though against the rules). Conflicting
reports pointed to an electrical fault (though butane cylinders caught
up in the resulting fire probably didn't help). The death toll was
compounded by overcrowding and various technical and procedural
shortcomings and mishandlings.

Isn't airport security sensitive about people bringing flammable
liquids or ignition devices these days?

Certainly they are more restricted in hand baggage. Flammable and
otherwise dangerous materials (or more likely the empty cans that used
to contain them) are prominently featured in the display, found in
some US airports, of forbidden thing, ranging from probably pretty
innocuous to transparently foolhardy, that people supposedly had in
their checked baggage. Leftover camp-stove fuel seems to be a
favorite.

Anyway, on the reasonable assumption that the original poster doesn't
end up on the same plane with somebody trying to barbecue in seat
34B, here is what the Park Service says about North Rim campgrounds:
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/cg-nr.htm
which suggests that "Wood and charcoal fires are only permitted in
provided campsite grills. No gathering of down wood - wood may be
purchased at the general store."

Similar answers regarding Zion may be searched for (or asked) at
http://www.nps.gov/zion

Of course, rules can be changed in response to changing conditions
such as a dry year.

I would imagine that late May, before the "monsoon" brings the modest
amount of rain that the region gets, would be an even better time than
usual to be careful with fire.

Enjoy your trip,
--Joe
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
y_p_w

On 2008-04-11 23:20:16 -0400, y_p_w said:

Perched along the North Rim, with expansive windows overlooking
spectacular vistas, the Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim offers
exceptional, memorable dining experiences,

And what time of the year is it open?

May 15 to October 15. The original poster seems to have reserved a
cabin at the (North Rim) Grand Canyon Lodge, so it would be logical
that they would have their stores and restaurants open at the same
time. I called Forever Resorts (877-386-4383) and confirmed that all
their restaurants will be open at the same time (May 15) they're open
for lodging.

http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinf...tentKey=220931

Q: When is the best time of the year to visit the North Rim?

A: The North Rim officially opens on May 15 and closes on October 15.
Since the North Rim is over 1000 feet higher than the south rim at an
elevation of 8500 ft, it is much cooler during the summer months and
much colder during the winter. Early and late in the season, you can
expect highs is the upper 60s and lows in the 40s. In the mid season,
the highs are in the 80s with lows in the 60s.

-- -- --

I'd love to visit one of these days. I'm kind of a sucker for the
rustic designs of Gilbert Stanley Underwood. I've been to the
Ahwahnee at Yosemite, walked through one of the visitor centers he
designed at Sequoia NP (now the Giant Forest Museum), and dined/stayed
in his lodge/cabin designs at Bryce Canyon.
Old April 17th, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"y_p_w" wrote in message

-- -- --

I'd love to visit one of these days. I'm kind of a sucker for the
rustic designs of Gilbert Stanley Underwood. I've been to the
Ahwahnee at Yosemite, walked through one of the visitor centers he
designed at Sequoia NP (now the Giant Forest Museum), and dined/stayed
in his lodge/cabin designs at Bryce Canyon.

I love the North Rim, sitting on the verandah of the North Rim Lodge
watching the sun go down is magical.

Keith