Italian Lakes in August - Book ahead?

Old June 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Italian Lakes in August - Book ahead?

Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Thanks, Mickey

Old June 20th, 2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Thanks, Mickey

Lakes where ???? there are plenty of lakes in the North of Italy and in the
centre ( near Rome )

Old June 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike4000

On Jun 20, 8:10 am, "tile" wrote:
ha scritto nel messaggionews:1182293559.394220.296150@p77g2000hsh .googlegroups.com...

Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Thanks, Mickey

Lakes where ???? there are plenty of lakes in the North of Italy and in the
centre ( near Rome )

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant Lake Como, Maggiore and
Garda.

Thanks.

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Rainbird

"mike4000" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 20, 8:10 am, "tile" wrote:
ha scritto nel
messaggionews:1182293559.394220.296150@p77g2000hsh .googlegroups.com...

Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Thanks, Mickey

Lakes where ???? there are plenty of lakes in the North of Italy and in
the
centre ( near Rome )

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant Lake Como, Maggiore and
Garda.

Thanks.

Don't see why there should be any misunderstanding.

Those combine to be an area that is commonly called the "Italian Lakes" as
you correctly said in your subject line.

--
Steve

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Steve Rainbird" kirjoitti

Lakes where ???? there are plenty of lakes in the North of Italy and in
the
centre ( near Rome )

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant Lake Como, Maggiore and
Garda.

Thanks.

Don't see why there should be any misunderstanding.

Those combine to be an area that is commonly called the "Italian Lakes" as
you correctly said in your subject line.

Agreed. Only some Italian bozos may consider the expression of "the Italian
lake region" somehow geographically ambiguous.

Old June 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Most (larger) towns have a Tourist Information office. They will help you
find a room.

Marianne

Old June 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mike4000

On Jun 20, 4:42 pm, "Mimi" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Most (larger) towns have a Tourist Information office. They will help you
find a room.

Marianne

So to sum up.. Must order now? or can look for a room on the spot?

I should point out that this August, at the height of the vacation
season.

Thanks.

Old June 20th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:11:32 -0000, mike4000
wrote:

On Jun 20, 4:42 pm, "Mimi" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... Hello All,

I know August is the busiest season for the lake region in Italy.
However, from looking at the different websites I can only find hotels
and B&Bs, but I'm guessing there are plenty of smaller and simpler
B&Bs without a website out there.

Do I have a chance of finding a room without booking in advance? If
yes, should I simply roam the streets of the little towns around the
lakes? If no, any hotel recommendations are extremely welcome!

Most (larger) towns have a Tourist Information office. They will help you
find a room.

Marianne

So to sum up.. Must order now? or can look for a room on the spot?

I should point out that this August, at the height of the vacation
season.

I can't answer the question of whether you'll be able to find anything
without booking ahead, but personally, I almost always book ahead.
That's for a simple reason: I don't want to waste any of my precious
vacation time looking for places to stay.

Roaming the streets looking for a hotel is bad enough, but if you have
to do it while carrying luggage around, it's worse.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old June 21st, 2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nospam

Mimi wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Most (larger) towns have a Tourist Information office. They will help you
find a room.

Marianne

There is a great site he

http://www.enit.it/

That lists (or did list) all of the tourism offices in Italy.
Unfortunately, it has been down for about a week. I understand that
thousands of sites in Italy and several other countries got hacked
recently. It might be related.

As an alternate you can go he

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/

but you will need to weed through the individual region or province
websites for the addresses.

Bruce

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Go Fig

In article , Ken Blake
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:11:32 -0000, mike4000
wrote:

On Jun 20, 4:42 pm, "Mimi" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... Hello All,

[...]