Big Corn Island - crime \ safety issues?

Old January 20th, 2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Casual Observer

Default Big Corn Island - crime \ safety issues?

We're considering a vacation to Big Corn Island later this year - I've read
all I can find, and most descriptions tout the laid-back atmosphere, fresh
seafood, wonderful beaches, and great snorkeling - but a few reports I've
read talk about crime problems, particularly those targeting tourists,
rampant drug activity and firearms, and a virtually lawless environment on
Little Corn Island. We're looking for the relaxing environment described,
but will head elsewhere if it's not safe.

Also, we'll be traveling on a US passport - are there any particular
problems here for Americans?

Thanks!

Old January 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
Harry

I've never been there but one of my co workers is from Bluefields and has
friends there. She says that is safer than Managua and most of the country.
This part of Nicaragua is not densely populated so less humans = less
problems, I always say. You'll get the usual peddlers and people trying to
help you with your bags for some change etc.etc. But that happens in most
of Latin America.

I believe that English is widely spoken on that area as it was a British
protectorate some time ago.