Avoid Arizona

Old April 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Avoid Arizona

I was under the understanding that there
was no requirement for a citizen to produce any form
of paperwork...

In general, police can always ask to see ID, but you aren't REQUIRED
to show it unless they suspect you've done something illegal. So, for
example, the police couldn't set up a checkpoint on a public sidewalk
and demand that everyone passing it show their ID.

But there are exceptions. For example, I believe that if you are on
federal property (like a federal courthouse) police can demand ID from
anyone.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"

+DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "RVer
Don"
wrote:

I'll tell you how I feel. Sheriff Arpaio, someone in law
enforcement who actually enforces the law. We need a lot more
just
like him.

Are Americans actually required to produce papers upon demand now?

Have been for decades.

Oh? Now I'm not American, but I was under the understanding that
there was no requirement for a citizen to produce any form of
paperwork at any time unless a citizen initiated an interaction
which
may require identification (driving, being one such case)

Any time a cop suspects you of anything he can take you down to the
station for positive identification if you can't provide an ID. And a
cop can _always_ find something of which to suspect you.

Correct -- However, you still aren't required to provide identification,
it's the police's job to identify you.

In addition, you still have your rights intact, so you can request a
lawyer, habeas corpus, and various other goodies, and it's up to the
police to identify you, not up to you to identify yourself to the
police.

So once again, we're not at deportation for failing to provide papers.
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

you still aren't required to provide identification,
it's the police's job to identify you.

Depends where you live. Some states require that suspects identify
themselves, and the Supreme Court ruled in 2004 that it's legal for
states to have such laws.
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On the other hand, the US Border Patrol can and do set up checkpoints
at selected locations well away from the border. *

Yeah, there are certain exceptions to the ID laws, and that's one of
them. I believe that border patrol checkpoints are legal within 100
miles of a border.
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:18:47 -0400, sechumlib
wrote:

Sheriffs are limited in how they can "enforce the law" by the duties
assigned to their office by statute. They aren't permitted, for
example, to go out and lynch "suspected terrorists".

He's not lynching anyone. He's enforcing existing law. Yours is not a
good analogy.