Getting from Milan to Rome

Old April 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Terry and Pat Green

Default Getting from Milan to Rome

We are travelling to Rome next week, flying stand-by. If we don't get on
the Rome flight, we will fly instead to Milan and take the train to Rome. I
understand that there is a train from Malpensa airport to Cadorna station,
and that the trains to Rome leave from Stazione Centrale. Can anyone tell
me the best way to get from Cadorna to Stazione Centrale? About how much
should a taxi cost? Keeping in mind that we are two retired ladies on a
fairly limited budget, if you have any better suggestions on getting from
Milan to Rome in as short a time as possible, we would love to hear them.
Thanks for your help.
Patricia

---

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:32 PM
jenn

Terry and Pat Green wrote:

We are travelling to Rome next week, flying stand-by. If we don't get on
the Rome flight, we will fly instead to Milan and take the train to Rome. I
understand that there is a train from Malpensa airport to Cadorna station,
and that the trains to Rome leave from Stazione Centrale. Can anyone tell
me the best way to get from Cadorna to Stazione Centrale? About how much
should a taxi cost? Keeping in mind that we are two retired ladies on a
fairly limited budget, if you have any better suggestions on getting from
Milan to Rome in as short a time as possible, we would love to hear them.
Thanks for your help.
Patricia

take the bus from Malpensa to the central station -- it runs very
frequently and is very convenient -- more so than the train business you
describe --- there is a ticket booth inside the airport and the bus
takes about 40 minutes or so to the station. Last time I did it, I
think it was about 10 Euros --

---

Old April 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
B Vaughan

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:48:59 GMT, "Terry and Pat Green"
wrote:

We are travelling to Rome next week, flying stand-by. If we don't get on
the Rome flight, we will fly instead to Milan and take the train to Rome. I
understand that there is a train from Malpensa airport to Cadorna station,
and that the trains to Rome leave from Stazione Centrale. Can anyone tell
me the best way to get from Cadorna to Stazione Centrale?

Instead of taking a train, you should take the express bus to Milan
Centrale. I don't remember what it costs, but it's reasonable and easy
to find. It makes one or two other stops in Central Milan, but ask the
driver to let you know which is Milan Centrale. I believe it's the
last stop, anyway, and it's certainly where most of the people get
off.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Olivers

jenn muttered....

take the bus from Malpensa to the central station -- it runs very
frequently and is very convenient -- more so than the train business
you describe --- there is a ticket booth inside the airport and the
bus takes about 40 minutes or so to the station. Last time I did it,
I think it was about 10 Euros --

Certainly your best alternative, and the driver will load and unload your
bags from the coach's under-floor bays.

I got the idea that competitive services, at least two companies serving
Malpensa, keep the service good and the fare reasonable. The busses depart
from one end of the international terminal at Malpensa (is it Exit/Entrace
#7?) and arrive in lot beside the Statzione (which has plenty of steps to
make wheeled baggage a pain), at frequent intervals and although the trip
is hardly scenic, it provides a cross section of urban/industrial Mila and
environs.

If you're returning to the US on an early morning flight, staying near the
airport may be more comfortable and convenient (arrive Milan fm Rome by
train, bus to Malpensa). There's a small. but comfortable and moderately
priced hotel, Hotel Ristorante Cervo in Case Nuove, just off the airport,
which will both pick you up and deliver you to the air terminal, 3 EUs each
was, IIRC, Double w/good breakfast 93EU off season, tel# 03331.230821,
www.hotelcervo.it, easy to deal with, accommodating, restaurant closed
weekends, but joint 2 blocks down the street favored by aircrews is
convenient and adequate.

TMO
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Oxygene2002

non-smoking restaurants in Milano
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/milan.shtml

Old April 14th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Elisabetta

The bus from Malpensa to Milano Station costs 4,50 or 5,50 (it depends on
the bus company). It takes 50-55 minutes.
The Station is the last stop in Milan (the first is the Terminal 2 in
Malpensa and the other one is the Fair).
Elisabetta

ble.rogers.com...

Old April 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Elisabetta

I forgot: you can buy the ticket directly from the bus driver.
The bus stop is at the exit #6, just in front of the arrival exit.
Elisabetta

Old April 14th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Elio

"Terry and Pat Green" ha scritto nel messaggio
ble.rogers.com...

[cut]

Keeping in mind that we are two retired ladies on a
fairly limited budget,

[cut]

If You want to save money for the Milan to Rome train at the expense of a
longer ride, you might want to take advantage of a Companion special fare
now active with Trenitalia (expires end of June) that allow the travel of
any two persons in first class at the price of one ticket but only on the
intercity (IC) trains and is not valid on the faster ES trains.
IC trains are less frequent and slower, they takes 5:30 to 6 hours from
Milan to Rome rather that the 4:30 of a ES train but it may suit your
timing. Check the trenitalia website. The cost for two will be Eur 53,87 in
first class IC train against Eur 92,96 second class or Eur 134,28 first
class for the ES trains. The reduced fare can be booked online.
Elio

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Carole Allen

Terry and Pat Green wrote:

We are travelling to Rome next week, flying stand-by. If we don't get on
the Rome flight, we will fly instead to Milan and take the train to Rome. I
understand that there is a train from Malpensa airport to Cadorna station,
and that the trains to Rome leave from Stazione Centrale. Can anyone tell
me the best way to get from Cadorna to Stazione Centrale? About how much
should a taxi cost? Keeping in mind that we are two retired ladies on a
fairly limited budget, if you have any better suggestions on getting from
Milan to Rome in as short a time as possible, we would love to hear them.
Thanks for your help.
Patricia

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:32:06 -0500, jenn wrote:take
the bus from Malpensa to the central station -- it runs very
frequently and is very convenient -- more so than the train business you
describe --- there is a ticket booth inside the airport and the bus
takes about 40 minutes or so to the station. Last time I did it, I
think it was about 10 Euros --

On Feb 2, 2004 it was 4.5 euro from Malpensa to Stazione Centrale on
the shuttle bus...yes, takes about 40 mins...busses run every 20 or 30
minutes...you can buy a ticket from the driver...