Cruise to Hawaii On Board Life

Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
jackie

Default Cruise to Hawaii On Board Life

I am planning a cruise on the Sapphire Princess, L.A. to Hawaii in
March. I would like information on the 4 days to and from, i.e. the
weather, winds, temperature, etc. any info would be greatly
appreciated.
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 13:49:21 -0800 (PST), jackie
wrote:

I am planning a cruise on the Sapphire Princess, L.A. to Hawaii in
March. I would like information on the 4 days to and from, i.e. the
weather, winds, temperature, etc. any info would be greatly
appreciated.

We did Hawaii to L.A. on the Pride of Hawaii a few years ago in late
January/early February. It was windy and raining in Hawaii, but smooth
and pleasant (and cool) all the way across.

But I think it's a question of weather, not climate. It won't be baking
hot in March, but there might or might not be wind and waves.

We were on the Sapphire Princess in December. The food was good, I
thought. You might want to eat at the steak restaurant on the first
night; after that it will be hard to get in. Breakfast in the dining
room was very disorganized, and it worked better to eat at the buffet
(where they managed to cook my omelet correctly the first time, which
they couldn't do in two tries in the dining room). If you drink
espressos, lattes, etc., the coffee card is a good idea.

It was cool and rained every day on that trip, but the Sapphire works
well in wet weather. There's a covered pool, a heated adult-only pool,
and a large number of hot tubs scattered around. There are also several
uncovered pools.

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LVTravel[_1_]

"jackie" wrote in message
I am planning a cruise on the Sapphire Princess, L.A. to Hawaii in
March. I would like information on the 4 days to and from, i.e. the
weather, winds, temperature, etc. any info would be greatly
appreciated.

With the wacky weather hitting the US it is really hard to predict weather
out more than about 1-2 weeks but historically the weather once South of LA
should be great. You may encounter rain or wind but should only be one or
two days at the most. If you have never cruised in the Pacific be aware
that the seas are generally larger than in the Atlantic or Caribbean in good
weather. We did a Hawaii cruise once in all good weather and there were
more large swells than seen East of the Panama Canal. It was NOT
uncomfortable for most. The Sapphire is a good ship and does ride well.

Of course when you are under way there is always wind across the decks.

Old February 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 2/4/2011 5:13 PM, LVTravel wrote:

"jackie" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the post. We are doing a cruise to Hawaii from San Diego and
back to San Diego in 2012 on Celebrity Century. I kind of thought the
swells would be high so I booked deck 8 almost dead-mid ship, port side
balcony.

The worst seas we've encountered were on the Tasman Sea (The "ditch")
between Australia and New Zealand. We had to tape one of the dresser
drawers shut as it would keep opening all night long.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 2/4/11 6:13 PM, LVTravel wrote:

"jackie" wrote in message
I am planning a cruise on the Sapphire Princess, L.A. to Hawaii in
March. I would like information on the 4 days to and from, i.e. the
weather, winds, temperature, etc. any info would be greatly
appreciated.

With the wacky weather hitting the US it is really hard to predict
weather out more than about 1-2 weeks but historically the weather once
South of LA should be great. You may encounter rain or wind but should
only be one or two days at the most. If you have never cruised in the
Pacific be aware that the seas are generally larger than in the Atlantic
or Caribbean in good weather. We did a Hawaii cruise once in all good
weather and there were more large swells than seen East of the Panama
Canal. It was NOT uncomfortable for most. The Sapphire is a good ship
and does ride well.

I'm going to voice the opposing position. The Grand class ships
(Sapphire is the same basic hull with a different upper deck design as
the Grand) are pretty unstable compared to many other classes of ships.
They tend to bob like corks on the water. And wind tends to blow them
all over the place (they behave like a big sail in the wind). I've been
on the Grand, the Crown (twice) and the Sapphire. Their instability
wouldn't keep me from going on them again, but there are much better
ships and ship classes with regard to stability and riding well. I rate
the Sapphire (and her sisters) on the poor end of the spectrum as far as
handling rough seas. Go. But pack the Bonine just in case.

--Tom