Newsgroup Rules

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:47 PM
PAUL CHATLEY

Default Newsgroup Rules

Hi, to whoever reported me to BTInternet for posting the rental of my villa
in this newsgroup.

I have spoken to BTInternet after they sent me an email regarding my posting
in this newsgroup and explained that I am NOT a mind reader so HOW am I
supposed to know what and what not to post here. There are NO rules posted
in this newsgroup and anyone with any common decency could have contacted me
directly instead of going via the cowards route.

Having looked at the some of the postings in this newsgroup they must all be
against the rules what ever they may be, have some common sense please in
future.

Paul Chatley

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:47:49 +0000 (UTC), "PAUL CHATLEY"
wrote:

Hi, to whoever reported me to BTInternet for posting the rental of my villa
in this newsgroup.

I have spoken to BTInternet after they sent me an email regarding my posting
in this newsgroup and explained that I am NOT a mind reader so HOW am I
supposed to know what and what not to post here. There are NO rules posted
in this newsgroup and anyone with any common decency could have contacted me
directly instead of going via the cowards route.

Um, this means you haven't bothered to check out Usenet before
jumping in. for its entire existence the Usenet credo has been
that commercial posts are to be posted only in newsgroups that
specifically permit it. Because this is a general guideline each
and every group isn't going to post it.

Of course, you could have asked first; a surprising number of
people have.

Having looked at the some of the postings in this newsgroup they must all be
against the rules what ever they may be, have some common sense please in
future.

That's a little vague.

See:
http://www.landfield.com/usenet/
http://www.ibiblio.org/usenet-i/usenet-help.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/primer/part1/

Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
JamesStep

to whoever reported me to BTInternet for posting the rental
of my villa in this newsgroup.... I am NOT a mind reader so HOW
am I supposed to know what and what not to post here...

Paul, I'm not the person who reported you, and I agree that
there isn't any list of rules posted here (at least none that I've
seen, although I'm sure there's one somewhere).

However, just about any article that discusses newsgroup basics
will tell you that posting a commercial advertisement to a non-
commerical newsgroup is a big no-no.

The reason is very simple -- if advertisements were allowed, then the
newsgroup would be flooded with commercial ads to the point that it
would be unusable for any other purpose.

Posting an ad to a non-commercial group is guaranteed to get people
upset; some to the point that they may file a complaint with the
poster's ISP.

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Mark Hewitt

"PAUL CHATLEY" wrote in message
Hi, to whoever reported me to BTInternet for posting the rental of my

villa
in this newsgroup.

It wasn't me and I don't remember your posting but I'm glad someone did
report you.

I have spoken to BTInternet after they sent me an email regarding my

posting
in this newsgroup

Good on them! Great to see that an ISP is taking the spam problem seriously.

.. and explained that I am NOT a mind reader so HOW am I
supposed to know what and what not to post here. There are NO rules posted
in this newsgroup and anyone with any common decency could have contacted

me
directly instead of going via the cowards route.

It's a general rule for the majority of usenet groups and if you had spent
any amount of time reading and posting instead of SPAMMING then you would
know this. You had to learn the hard way, too bad.

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:20:21 -0000, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

It's a general rule for the majority of usenet groups and if you had spent
any amount of time reading and posting instead of SPAMMING then you would
know this. You had to learn the hard way, too bad.

A single commercial post is not spam.

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Hatunen

wrote:

It's a general rule for the majority of usenet groups and if you had spent
any amount of time reading and posting instead of SPAMMING then you would
know this. You had to learn the hard way, too bad.

A single commercial post is not spam.

really, how many posts have to be made before it becomes spam?

The exacrt number is arguable, but certainly more than one.
Traditionally spam is an excessive mass posting or mailing
without regard to nature of the destination newsgroups or email
accounts.

there is a rec.travel.marketplace newsgroups where ads are supposed to
be posted. Usenet has been and hopefully will remain NON COMMERCIAL.

Amen.

they way to do business on the internet is to set up a web site, pay
for placement on search engines and conduct your business, spamming is
only for scammers and low lifes

But ignorantly posting a travel ad on a travel newsgroup may be
ignorant but it isn't spam. "Make money fast!" is spam.

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:32 PM
alohacyberian

wrote:
It's a general rule for the majority of usenet groups and if you had

spent
any amount of time reading and posting instead of SPAMMING then you

would
know this. You had to learn the hard way, too bad.

A single commercial post is not spam.

really, how many posts have to be made before it becomes spam?

The exacrt number is arguable, but certainly more than one.

I think the exact number is posting of an identical message to more than five
newsgroups. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect