x-ray film pouches

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Craig KB8FGC

Default x-ray film pouches

Hello...I'm considering the purchase of a couple of x-ray film pouches
for an upcoming international trip. I'm leaning toward the Sima line
of XPF 20 pouches (and possibly XPF 8 pouches to cut down on the
cost). Unfortunaltely, the local camera shop only carries the Op/Tech
brand of pouch. How do these compare to Sima? I'm assuming (from
reading the descriptions) that the Op/Tech is comparable to Sima's XPF
8 line. Is this correct? Has anyone used these pouches recently?
How well did they protect your film? Also, how does the Domke line of
pouches compare to Sima and Op/Tech? These are once in a lifetime
shots and I don't want to take any chances. I'm going to try for hand
inspections, but these bags are to offer insurance in the event I'm
refused hand inspection. This film will likely be subjected to x-rays
during carry on baggage screening in Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Taipei
and Manila (both ways).
Craig (if replying via email, send message to )
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"Craig KB8FGC" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Insist on hand inspection. So-called x-ray pouches are useless. If the
machine operator is unable to see the contents on the screen, he will simply
turn up the dose till he can.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Bob

Shawn "Me" Hearn wrote:

In article ,
(Craig KB8FGC) wrote:

[...]
)

Those lead film pouches are a complete waste of money.

Agreed

Most film will
not be damaged simply by passing it unshielded in a carry-on x-ray
machine.

Maybe not once, but how many machines will it go through?

If you are really concerned, go with a digital camera and
you will have no worries at all about exposing film to x-rays.

But if you read the post he is worried about FILM.

One thing I learned about flying and film. Buy some 1600 color film and
some 3200 black and white. When I fly I always have some of each with
me. I have not yet exposed a single frame, but it gets my film hand
checked. And allow extra time for the hand checking.

Another thing, take your photo gear, and any ham gear that ur taking to
the local US Customs house and have them give you the forms that you
list each piece of equipment and it's serial number. They'll stamp the
forms and you will have proof that you had the gear when you were at
home and that could save you problems with various Customs people.

73 es enjoy ur trip...... Bob W8IMO

Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:58 AM
Craig

I agree that my film is likely to be safe for a few passes in domestic X-ray
machines, but I will also be traveling domestically in the Philippines and
Taiwan and do NOT trust those machines. Nor do I have the right (which is
commonly abridged in the U.S.) to demand a hand inspection. So, given that
I will be purchasing a bag, I'd like to purchase a good one. I'm leaning
towards nesting bags...using inexpensive XPF4 or XPF8 bags inside a larger
OP/Tech bag. Any thoughts on this approach?
Craig
P.S. Kinda hard to take slides with a digital.....and not interested in
burning them to CD and watching them on TV...I've tried that route already
(I do own a digital but only use it occasionally).

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither

Concerned with the direction our government
is going? VOTE LIBERTARIAN

"Shawn "Me" Hearn" wrote in message
In article ,
(Craig KB8FGC) wrote:

[...]

Those lead film pouches are a complete waste of money. Most film will
not be damaged simply by passing it unshielded in a carry-on x-ray
machine. If you are really concerned, go with a digital camera and
you will have no worries at all about exposing film to x-rays.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
KGB

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:45:10 +0000 (UTC), "Mike O'sullivan"
wrote:

"Craig KB8FGC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Hi

That depends on where you live. At Manchester airport here in the UK,
Security have always refused point blank a (polite) request to do a
hand inspection on film - or cameras - and insist that EVERYTHING goes
through the carry-on X-Ray machine.

The first time it happened I tried to insist (things eventually became
a trifle heated!!) but it became quite obvious they were not going to
budge, just kept insisting their equipment was safe for ALL film.

Eventually, I backed down, let all my (400ASA) film go through the
machine (without a lead pouch) and, to be quite honest, the film was
NOT affected.

Regards
KGB

Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM

In rec.photo.film+labs Bob wrote:
One thing I learned about flying and film. Buy some 1600 color film and
some 3200 black and white. When I fly I always have some of each with
me. I have not yet exposed a single frame, but it gets my film hand
checked. And allow extra time for the hand checking.

I tried that in March 2003, headed out on a trip with a
lot of film in my kit. The screeners politely told me
that they were NOT going to hand-check my TMZ or anything
else, ran it through the machine, and sent me to take off
my belt and shoes for a thorough check. Next time I have
to fly anywhere, I guess I'll FedEx the film ahead to me. :-(

73 de AC4RD

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD kuzen001 at acpub .duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001