Giving up your seat for money

Old December 16th, 2008, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
sharx35

Default Giving up your seat for money

Does anyone have the Canadian equivalent to the information reached at the
LINK down below?

"Ad absurdum per aspera" wrote in message
Passed it up twice, both times because I *had* to be on the other end
for business reasons before the next available flight. One of those
times, Delta had overbooked by five passengers CVG-CDG and by the
time I boarded, they still needed a couple of volunteers, even though
the ante was up to $1k, hotel room, and free seat on the next
available flight.

The other time, Southwest had to raise to a free RT voucher, a s fre
hundred cash, free seat on the next plane out, and hotel room in order
to escape their predicament.

I would have taken their offer on one or two other occasions but
wasn't quick enough when they made the announcement.

I haven't encountered an overbooking/bumping situation on Southwest
in the last few years, just standby people failing to get onto a
particular flight. *Did* once see a young couple flying standby who
really, really had to get somewhere for some family matter, whereupon
some people who overheard this offered to give up their seats. I seem
to recall that the gate agent rewarded this gesture of samaritanism in
some small nice way even though she didn't have to.

I've never seen or heard of a reason not to take the airline's offer
at face value or doubt that they'll deliver. Just make sure of two
things:
(1) That they *confirm* you on a subsequent a flight that serves your
purposes, right then and there. Standby is a crapshoot.
and
(2) That the consequences at your destination, such as change fees for
rental car or hotel, nonrefundable tour tickets, don't bite too
hard. I've read that some business-type hotels have gotten really
snaky about changes made in your reservation without the amount of
advance notice called for in the fine print, for instance. (If such
businesses balk at what you need to do, or threaten to bill you for
it, push back nicely but resolutely, of course.)

Here are the regs for what they *have* to do:
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...tm#overbooking

Other than that, it's a simple negotiation to see what the market will
bear, as new as "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" (well, thousandaire
anyway) and as old as the village marketplace...

Cheers,
--Joe

Old December 16th, 2008, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Ad absurdum per aspera

Does anyone have *the Canadian equivalent to the information reached at the
LINK down below?

Sorry about the implicit assumption that we're all playing by American
rules, which is, after all, pretty silly in the air travel world...

It isn't my game, but I am *guessing* that Canada gives the air
carriers a lot more leeway to establish their own rules, requiring
only that they follow those rules accurately and evenhandedly. See
for instance
http://forms.cta-otc.gc.ca/AirCompla...aintForm_e.cfm
or PDF page 37 of
http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/air-aerien/...flysmart_e.pdf
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
sharx35

"Ad absurdum per aspera" wrote in message

Does anyone have the Canadian equivalent to the information reached at
the
LINK down below?

Sorry about the implicit assumption that we're all playing by American
rules, which is, after all, pretty silly in the air travel world...

It isn't my game, but I am *guessing* that Canada gives the air
carriers a lot more leeway to establish their own rules, requiring
only that they follow those rules accurately and evenhandedly. See
for instance
http://forms.cta-otc.gc.ca/AirCompla...aintForm_e.cfm
or PDF page 37 of
http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/air-aerien/...flysmart_e.pdf

Thanks for the info!

Old December 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
jessica_smith_nyc

Yes, usually this happens on overbooked flights on the
weekends........usually on a Sunday evenings flights. Even more
frequent during holiday weekends.

---
http://www.moviesitearchive.com/travel

On Dec 1, 7:11*pm, chithanh119
wrote:
You are standing in the checking in queue and someone from the airline
calls out that they need 2/3/4 or whatever number of people to give up
their seats. They offer those people a hotel for the night and X amount
of money.

I was wondering if anyone has ever accepted this and what did they
received for the inconvenience? I've never had the opportunity to
accept such an offer, mainly due to time restrictions, but I'm well up
for a deal like that on my forthcoming trip

--
chithanh119

'Vacation in vietnam beach resort'
(http://www.waytovietnam.com/resort.asp) | 'Victoria Sapa Tour Package'