Is this a doable connection.

Old December 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Is this a doable connection.

Hey everyone

I have a friend that just bought us tickets on AirCanada for the fall
of next year. Sounds like he was able to get us seats for a great
price (he paid and won't tell me, but I know that he is very careful
with this money). In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver (I won't talk about not liking this).
Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection. We will be flying in on United Express/Skywest to
Vancouver and then will connect to AirCanada.

M.M.
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

I have a friend that just bought us tickets on AirCanada for the fall
of next year. Sounds like he was able to get us seats for a great
price (he paid and won't tell me, but I know that he is very careful
with this money). In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver (I won't talk about not liking this).
Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection. We will be flying in on United Express/Skywest to
Vancouver and then will connect to AirCanada.

It's a little tight, but it's not ridiculous if you don't have checked
bags. If you do check bags, you're unlikely to go through
immigration, get your bags, and recheck them in time.

AC has about 12 daily flights YVR-YYZ, so if you miss your connection,
there's likely to be another an hour later.

R's,
John
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

wrote in message
Hey everyone

I have a friend that just bought us tickets on AirCanada for the fall
of next year. Sounds like he was able to get us seats for a great
price (he paid and won't tell me, but I know that he is very careful
with this money). In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver (I won't talk about not liking this).
Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection. We will be flying in on United Express/Skywest to
Vancouver and then will connect to AirCanada.

M.M.

I have no idea what the MCT at Vancouver is so, in my view, it comes down
to how the reservation is ticketed. If the whole journey is on one ticket
then it seems likely that it is a "published" connection and the delivering
airline is then responsible for finding you onward transportation if they
deliver you late. However, if it's separate tickets with the break of
tickets in Vancouver that's 2 separate contracts and you are responsible for
checking on on time, if the inbound is late you're on your own and it's down
to the whim of the airline what they do.

Old December 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver

Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection. We will be flying in on United Express/Skywest to
Vancouver and then will connect to AirCanada.

I have no idea what the MCT at Vancouver is

You can look it up. It's an hour for USA to Domestic, so it's a legal
connection.

then it seems likely that it is a "published" connection and the
delivering airline is then responsible for finding you onward
transportation if they deliver you late.

The Skywest flights are all AC codeshares so it's an on-line
connection. Like I said, there's a zillion flights from YVR to YYZ,
so it's unlikely to be a problem.

R's,
John
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Dec 14, 5:48*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

He purchased through AirCanada, so I am guessing the the flight from
Denver to Vancouver to be a code-share.

M.M.
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Dec 14, 10:24*am, John Levine wrote:
*In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver
Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection. We will be flying in on United Express/Skywest to
Vancouver and then will connect to AirCanada.

I have no idea what the MCT at Vancouver is

You can look it up. *It's an hour for USA to Domestic, so it's a legal
connection.

then it seems likely that it is a "published" connection and the
delivering airline is then responsible for finding you onward
transportation if they deliver you late.

The Skywest flights are all AC codeshares so it's an on-line
connection. *Like I said, there's a zillion flights from YVR to YYZ,
so it's unlikely to be a problem.

R's,
John

Thanks

Our return to Denver via Edmonton is only a little better. Still not
sure why we are not on a direct or non-stop flight. The are not any
more expensive (are they? traveling 09/03/09-09/09/09) and may be less
figuring that United charges to check even one bag. Also it seems like
we are going out of way by going through Vancouver or Edmonton.

M.M.
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 00:02:08 +0000 (UTC), John Levine
wrote:

It's a little tight, but it's not ridiculous if you don't have checked
bags. If you do check bags, you're unlikely to go through
immigration, get your bags, and recheck them in time.

AC has about 12 daily flights YVR-YYZ, so if you miss your connection,
there's likely to be another an hour later.

R's,
John

Why would someone go through immigration in Vancouver? Is it necessary
to get the bags and recheck them?

I haven't flown international flights much and my only flight
involving Vancouver was a flight out and U.S. customs checked our bags
there.

Old December 15th, 2008, 06:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I'm afraid that is irrelevant. Check how many tickets - that "2 contract"
issue could be the killer.

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

[ DEN - YVR - YYZ connection ]

Why would someone go through immigration in Vancouver? Is it necessary
to get the bags and recheck them?

Um, because Vancouver and Toronto are both in Canada, so the YVR-YYZ
flight is a domestic flight. Consult any atlas. Yes, you have to
collect your bags so customs can spend 3 seconds looking at them as
you walk past.

If you're asking about preclearance, that only applies Canada-US, not the
other direction.

R's,
John

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
wrote:
In any event we are flying from Denver to Toronto
with a connection in Vancouver (I won't talk about not liking this).
Just wonder if an hour is 1 hour and 13 minutes is a doable
connection.

Depends on when you arrive in Vancouver. At some times of day (when
many 747s from Asia arrive in the midmorning, for example), it can
take longer than an hour to reach the front of the immigration line.

Timothy J. Lee