How to divide 15 days among Bangkok, Hanoi, HK, Beijing?

Old August 20th, 2006, 05:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
F. D. Lewis

Default How to divide 15 days among Bangkok, Hanoi, HK, Beijing?

Kirans Cousin wrote:
I am extremely inexperienced in Asia outside India and would appreciate
all advice.
. . .
I am going on an extended family visit to India followed by business
meetings in Tokyo. Never having seen SE/E asia, I wanted first to take
2 stops over 4-5 days. Since then I have become excited about this new
experience and by cutting the fat from my India trip, mostly overeating
at relative's homes and attending weddings of people I don't really
know, I could bump this up to 15 days.]

Here is a recommended intinerary.

Some assumptions:
a) you must use Cathay Pacific.
b) you are a male US or European citizen.
c) you are going to get guidebooks for these cities.
d) you have lots of energy.

on Cathay you can travel from India - BKK - HKG - Japan

------------------------------
Day 1: fly from Mumbai to Bangkok (4:50 AM to 10:25 AM). take a
metered taxi from the public taxi booth at the airport (not from one of
the touts). use the expressway. ($2 extra). try the Suk 11 Hostel -
it is quite nice (I've seen it) and costs about $15/night. good
location too. look and book at www.suk11.com have a nap and go out to
get visa photos nearby.

Day 2: take the skytrain to the river. buy a ticket on the tourist
boat. it is a hop-on, hop-off thing with drinking water, booklet, and
guide for about $2/day. goes to most of the major attractions such as
Grand Palace, Wat Phra Keow, Wat Arun, Wat Po, royal barges, etc.

Day 3: take the subway to the railroad station and the train to
Ayudhaya. it is a ruined former capitol of Siam. engage a tuk-tuk to
take you around to the famous monuments, palaces, etc. back to town on
the train.

Day 4: fly on Bangkok Airways to Sien Reap (about $240 RT). (11:20 AM
to 12:30 PM) by the way, they have a lounge at the airport, a good
place to fill out the immigration form. visa on arrival is around $20.
bring crisp, new US currency since that's all many places will take.
hire a motorcycle pulled carriage for $12/day and visit one of Angkor
Wat, Angkor Thom (Bayon), and Ta Prohm (jungle temple). get a
three-day pass for around $20. see the sunset somewhere.

Day 5: visit the other two temples. do a sunrise and maybe another
sunset.

Day 6: fly back to Bangkok (1:10 PM to 2:20 PM). see any sights you've
missed. do a dinner with a traditional Thai folk dancer show.

Day 7: fly to Hong Kong (9:50 AM to 13:40 PM). take the nice train
into town. stay in Kowloon. take a Star Ferry to Central and look at
the HK skyline. take the tram up the Peak. stay for sunset. go to
dinner somewhere. take a Star Ferry back to Kowloon and look at the
lights of HK.

Day 8: go back to Central by ferry or subway. take a double-decker bus
around the edge of the island to Stanley market. then take a bus to
Aberdeen. arrange a sanpan tour of the Aberdeen harbor. take a bus
back to Central. take a ferry to Discovery Bay for dinner in one of
the Chinese restaurants that serves Peking Duck.

Day 9: take a hydrofoil to Macau. do the sights. have dinner. return
to HK that evening.

Day 10: fly to Japan.
------------------------------

Notes:

a) going to Beijing seems difficult on Cathay.

b) Hanoi is pleasant, but I did not find it as interesting as
Bangkok, Siem Reap, or Hong Kong.

c) take about $200 US in clean, crisp, new bills for Cambodia. 1's,
5's, 10's, and 20's only.

d) this is an agressive itinerary. more time could be spent in any
of the cities, especially Hong Kong.

e) ATM's are widely available in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Not in
Cambodia. Japan is wierd about ATM's.

f) if you're of Indian descent, keep in mind that many young people
from India go to SE Asian countries to work illegally. at immigration
in Bangkok, make sure you've got your onward tickets handy. also proof
of solvency (ie, credit cards). and always dress nicely during travel.

Old August 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
AES

Based on my own one-time visits to Bangkok and Hong
Kong some years ago, the recommendations in the post
by "F. D. Lewis" (appended
below in case you missed it) are VERY good ones.

(I'd skip the Angkor Wat visits myself if time or funds
were limited, since they're of less interest to me
personally, and spend another day in Hong Kong.)

Old August 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
Kirans Cousin

F. D. Lewis wrote:

: Some assumptions:
: a) you must use Cathay Pacific.

Basically true. I must use a One World carrier. Unless I want to
connect via London or Australia, Cathay is it. (Next year JAL will
join, but that doesn't help now.)

: b) you are a male US or European citizen.

Yes (US) but a new complication: my GF is talking about joining on this
leg---there goes my much awaited Thai experience. :-) Anyway, she has
Indian passport with US green card. Does that make a huge difference?

: c) you are going to get guidebooks for these cities.
: d) you have lots of energy.

Yes, yes.

: Day 1: fly from Mumbai to Bangkok..
: ...
: Day 10: fly to Japan.

Many thanks for such detailed advice. As I indicated in another post, I
can cut some fat from the India trip and stretch this to 15 days.
Should I stretch my HK time or try to do either Hanoi or Beijing?

: a) going to Beijing seems difficult on Cathay.

Beijing is possible, but longer flying times are needed to connect via
HK. However, the rules are such that (it seems so far) I can do either
Hanoi or Beijing but not both: Only two connections permitted in a hub
like HK. I need to save one for Tokyo (unless I get to Taipei or some
such city on my own), so only one remains to go to either Hanoi or
Beijing.

Too bad that JAL is not a One World member yet andt hey have no other
airline in that region. Qantas will connect in Australia which is
probably too far.

:
: c) take about $200 US in clean, crisp, new bills for Cambodia. 1's,
: 5's, 10's, and 20's only.
:
: d) this is an agressive itinerary. more time could be spent in any
: of the cities, especially Hong Kong.
:
: e) ATM's are widely available in Bangkok and Hong Kong. Not in
: Cambodia. Japan is wierd about ATM's.
:
: f) if you're of Indian descent, keep in mind that many young people
: from India go to SE Asian countries to work illegally. at immigration
: in Bangkok, make sure you've got your onward tickets handy. also proof
: of solvency (ie, credit cards). and always dress nicely during travel.

I'll get visas in advance where needed and dress nicely. Probably get a
haircut just before leaving. And no back pack!
Old August 21st, 2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
Tchiowa

Kirans Cousin wrote:
F. D. Lewis wrote:

: Some assumptions:
: a) you must use Cathay Pacific.

Basically true. I must use a One World carrier. Unless I want to
connect via London or Australia, Cathay is it. (Next year JAL will
join, but that doesn't help now.)

Of course Cathay is a great airline so this is kind of a "win" for you.

: b) you are a male US or European citizen.

Yes (US) but a new complication: my GF is talking about joining on this
leg---there goes my much awaited Thai experience. :-) Anyway, she has
Indian passport with US green card. Does that make a huge difference?

Yes, this makes a difference. You can get into a lot of countries with
a US passport and no visa. Her rules will be different.

: b) Hanoi is pleasant, but I did not find it as interesting as
: Bangkok, Siem Reap, or Hong Kong.
:
: c) take about $200 US in clean, crisp, new bills for Cambodia. 1's,
: 5's, 10's, and 20's only.

You get a better rate with $100 notes.

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai
F. D. Lewis

Tchiowa wrote:
F. D. Lewis wrote:

: c) take about $200 US in clean, crisp, new bills for Cambodia. 1's,
: 5's, 10's, and 20's only.

You get a better rate with $100 notes.

$100 bills are not popular in Siem Reap since they're often
counterfitted. you will not want to change US currency as everyone
accepts it - and provides prices in US money. in fact, you'll get
change in US bills and amounts less than a dollar in Cambodian currency.

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
F. D. Lewis

Kirans Cousin wrote:
F. D. Lewis wrote:
. . .
: b) you are a male US or European citizen.

Yes (US) but a new complication: my GF is talking about joining on this
leg---there goes my much awaited Thai experience. :-)

maybe not. after all, you both can tour the naughty clubs at Nana
Plaza and Soi Cowboy. try the Casanova in Nana for something
completely different (and amusing). you both can also go to a cabaret
like the one in Washington Square.

Anyway, she has Indian passport with US green card. Does that make a huge difference?

maybe. check embassy websights.

: Day 1: fly from Mumbai to Bangkok..
: ...
: Day 10: fly to Japan.

Many thanks for such detailed advice. As I indicated in another post, I
can cut some fat from the India trip and stretch this to 15 days.
Should I stretch my HK time or try to do either Hanoi or Beijing?

OK extend it to Beijing as follows:

Day 10: fly to Beijing

Day 11: arrange a taxi to go to the Great Wall at Badaling and Ming
Tombs. do not miss the avenue of animals.

Day 12: Tienanmen Square and the Forbidden City.

Day 13: Summer Palace (start at the north end). Temple of Heaven.

Day 14: do anything you've left out.

Day 15: fly to Japan.

I'll get visas in advance where needed

PR China is the only one to get in advance. Cambodia is upon entry -
no problem, just have money.

And no back pack!

lots of folks carry a day pack. with a laptop inside.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.hongkong
[email protected]

Tchiowa wrote:

Yes (US) but a new complication: my GF is talking about joining on this
leg---there goes my much awaited Thai experience. :-) Anyway, she has
Indian passport with US green card. Does that make a huge difference?

Yes, this makes a difference. You can get into a lot of countries with
a US passport and no visa. Her rules will be different.

Believe it. Indians need visas to sneeze. Having said that, visas to
Cambodia, Thailand, Hong Kong are all pretty easy. When I travelled
with someone in that situation, we got the visas for Thailand and
Cambodia beforehand, but could have gotten them on arrival.

I would suggest she apply for visas as soon as possible.

Rupa Bose
www.rupabose.org