Hotel Deposit - Terracotta Resort, Mui Ne, Vietnam

Old March 21st, 2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Default Hotel Deposit - Terracotta Resort, Mui Ne, Vietnam

We were thinking about booking a hotel in Mui Ne, Vietnam (Terracotta
Resort) around mid December. I inquired about their deposit and
cancellation policy and they responded with 50% deposit now and cancellation
within 30 days of arrival. While I can almost stomach a 30-day cancellation
policy to get my money back, is anyone seeing 50% deposit 9 months out?
Hell, I might give them one night's stay 30 days out but 9 months?

This is interesting stuff when the government predicts a significant decline
in tourism this year.

rg

Old March 21st, 2009, 05:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 01:56:23 GMT, "Sharkbait"
wrote:

We were thinking about booking a hotel in Mui Ne, Vietnam (Terracotta
Resort) around mid December. I inquired about their deposit and
cancellation policy and they responded with 50% deposit now and cancellation
within 30 days of arrival. While I can almost stomach a 30-day cancellation
policy to get my money back, is anyone seeing 50% deposit 9 months out?
Hell, I might give them one night's stay 30 days out but 9 months?

It sounds like you're trying to book directly with the hotel. You
could try some of the online hotel reservation services. They might
have different cancellation terms.

As a general rule, the lower the price you pay the harsher the
cancellation policies. The lowest prices often require that you pay in
full at the time of booking.

Chris
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

Chris Blunt wrote;

It sounds like you're trying to book directly with the hotel. You
could try some of the online hotel reservation services. They might
have different cancellation terms.

Yes, this was an inquiry made directly to the hotel. At the risk of
collecting a lot of spam here, what are some reliable hotel reservation
services in Vietnam? This place is not particularly cheap as Vietnamese
resorts go but there are many places to stay in Mui Ne or Phan Thiet. I'm
half inclined to just show up and look for vacancies when I arrive. We can
probably negotiate a good price for any rooms that might be available at any
decent hotel. Thanks.

rg

Old March 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 04:32:50 GMT, "Sharkbait"
wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote;

It sounds like you're trying to book directly with the hotel. You
could try some of the online hotel reservation services. They might
have different cancellation terms.

Yes, this was an inquiry made directly to the hotel. At the risk of
collecting a lot of spam here, what are some reliable hotel reservation
services in Vietnam? This place is not particularly cheap as Vietnamese
resorts go but there are many places to stay in Mui Ne or Phan Thiet. I'm
half inclined to just show up and look for vacancies when I arrive. We can
probably negotiate a good price for any rooms that might be available at any
decent hotel. Thanks.

Enter "Terracotta Resort" "Mui Ne" into Google and you'll get plenty
of reservation and hotel review sites which you can check.

Chris
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Rik Brown[_108_]

Chris Blunt;2922288 Wrote:
It sounds like you're trying to book directly with the hotel. You could
try some of the online hotel reservation services. They might have
different cancellation terms.

As a general rule, the lower the price you pay the harsher the
cancellation policies. The lowest prices often require that you pay in
full at the time of booking.

I agree with Chris. Try booking through a major hotel reservations
service based in your own country, if possible. Also, be sure to pay
only by credit card. I'd be a bit leery about a deposit so far out
unless the hotel is tied into an international hotel chain where, again,
you might have some recourse if everything isn't on the up and up.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

What you both say makes sense and the earlier suggestion of 'googling' the
name of the hotel and location turns up a long string of options. Even
Expedia.com, here in the States, has a 'All refund requests must occur
within 60 days of hotel check-out. At the sole discretion of Expedia refunds
may be given due to extenuating circumstances' policy and you end up paying
the entire reservation up front plus booking fees. With wording like this,
it sounds like changing or cancellation of a reservation is difficult.

Who amongst the on-line reservation outfits can one trust; 1) to have a
reasonable cancellation policy (full refund within 30 days of arrival), and
2) be trusted to credit the deposit or entire amount back into your account
within 30 days or more of arrival? Is travel insurance the only option,
albeit not cheap either?

With the world economy not looking so good at least until next year, I
should think the traveler with cash now, next fall or winter will be able to
dictate the terms - not the hotel or reseller.

rg

Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
cactusjoe[_2_]

I think anything more than 30% is too much. Although I did have to pay 100%
of my luang prabang hotel.
I also booked a Macau hotel which is not charged til I arrive.
Everything is different . I booked the air/hotel package to the same
Scottsdale hotel on Expedia as I did last year same time of year, last year
the hotel did not take the $$ til I left and this year they took it as soon
as I booked.
Enjoy your stay I am going for the first time in January

Old July 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
manh manh is offline
Member

A deposit is required by most of hotels in Vietnam, especially by luxury four and five-star hotels.