Malaria tablets

Old January 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
riverman

"Odysseus" wrote in message news:%HRId.18889$P04.10325@attbi_s03...
Not that much. $9 - $11 per pill.
Many insurance policies will pay most of the cost.

I will be taking some type of Malaria pills when I go to SA
and Zimbabwe. Fortunagely, I can afford the pills and won't
have to take them very long.

What do people living in Malaria area do? I doubt that most can
afford the cost of the pills. I doubt that the entire population
spends their entire life taking the pills. If Malaria ia the
threat that the western doctors say it is, there must be a lot
of people dying from it every day all over the world.

Yes, there are a LOT of people dying from it. And there are a lot more
people who get very sick from it, take some meds to get over the symptoms,
and get back to work. But don't take that as a minor brush off...the
symptoms are very miserable and I'm sure the majority of them would rather
not have it at all. But the treatment meds are usually pretty affordable,
since they don't have to live on them like people do with prophylaxis meds.

I live in a malaria zone (Kinshasa) and have been here for almost 3 years. I
don't take prophylaxis, and have not had malaria (yet, at least). But I take
some simple, but effective, precautions.

You don't need to be all covered up during the day, or lathered up with bug
dope every time you go outside. Anopholes mosquitoes move indoors during the
day, and hid in the corners and rafters, and come out and feed at night, so
the single most effective precaution is to sleep under a treated mosquito
net. They also are pretty sluggish at cooler temps, so people who sleep in
airconditioned rooms almost never get bitten. Also, they cannot do much in a
breeze, so keep your ceiling fan on. If you are outside between dusk and
dawn, you MUST put on bug dope and keep your arms and legs covered.

The problem is, of course, that a lot of villagers do not have long-sleeved
clothing, bug dope, air conditioning or ceiling fans, and spend their life
being exposed. However, the use of treated mosquito nets is enough to cut
the occurrance of malaria by some stupendous percent, like in the 80s, so
there are a lot of organizations importing and distributing nets. Even if
half the residents of a village get treated nets, the knock-on effect is
that the mozzies die off and the other half gets protection also.

--riverman

Old January 25th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Tom

In article , riverman
writes

[...]

Hi!
Couldn't agree more! We run a small UK reg. Charity which concentrates
on the education of nursery school children. Working from the base that
we can't educate dead or sick children we supply the schools we help
with mozzy nets for each family. We have the nets made locally (in The
Gambia) which also provides employment. We can supply nets at a cost of
£3, much cheaper than buying in UK and exporting them.
Enjoy your trips and only get bitten by Africa!
N.B. I use Malarone, expensive but no side-effects, for me, at any rate!
--
tom
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:05:47 GMT, Odysseus wrote:

Not that much. $9 - $11 per pill.
Many insurance policies will pay most of the cost.

I will be taking some type of Malaria pills when I go to SA
and Zimbabwe. Fortunagely, I can afford the pills and won't
have to take them very long.

Odysseus,

if price plays no role, I'd rather take Malarone than Lariam
because of its fewer side effects.

What do people living in Malaria area do? I doubt that most can
afford the cost of the pills. I doubt that the entire population
spends their entire life taking the pills. If Malaria ia the
threat that the western doctors say it is, there must be a lot
of people dying from it every day all over the world.

I'm an example. I don't take prophylactic medication. Instead I
carry a cure dose with me, in case I get a fever that could be
malaria.

However, this is not recommended for short-term visitors, as the
prophylactic dose is more effective in preventing malaria, apart
from the fact that you wouldn't even get sick from it in the
first place.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.