Malaysia photo gallery with Google maps

Old October 10th, 2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Malaysia photo gallery with Google maps

I've added Google maps to my photo gallery site. Some examples of how it
looks:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Sabah/
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Laos/

(maps at the bottom of the page)

The idea would be to enhance the user experience. Since there are so
many ways of adding a Google map (you can choose the type, size, user
controls, position on the page etc.), I was wondering what you think of
the way I did it and what could be improved. By the way, there are many
new photos of Malaysia in the Malaysia gallery.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Keiser

A convenient upgrade. I am not familiar with other possibilities but this
was useful.
I suppose a direct link between the actual location of the scenes and the
map would be even better. [I found Champasak as I've been there. Might be
harder for others.] Probably too much work.

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , John
Keiser says...
I suppose a direct link between the actual location of the scenes and the
map would be even better. [I found Champasak as I've been there. Might be
harder for others.] Probably too much work.

The other way round (map to gallery) is possible, see for example:
http://www.dopplr.com/place/jp
http://www.benoa.net/china/

Clicking on the icons opens the corresponding gallery or page.

From picture or gallery to map is doable, by storing the coordinates in
the picture or gallery page and adding a link through which a page with
a map opens. Maybe I do it when I find some time - it's a cool idea.
Easy to implement if the camera has a GPS receiver and stores the
coordinates of each shot in the EXIF.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
John Keiser

I stand corrected: as soon as I click on the page link the map changes to
the appropriate area.
This is very, very nice.

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , John
Keiser says...
I suppose a direct link between the actual location of the scenes and the
map would be even better. [I found Champasak as I've been there. Might
be
harder for others.] Probably too much work.

The other way round (map to gallery) is possible, see for example:
http://www.dopplr.com/place/jp
http://www.benoa.net/china/

Clicking on the icons opens the corresponding gallery or page.

From picture or gallery to map is doable, by storing the coordinates in

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , John
Keiser says...
I stand corrected: as soon as I click on the page link the map changes to
the appropriate area.
This is very, very nice.

In fact every site or major location is supposed to get its own map.
I've added more maps yesterday, bringing up to the total to 90. Still
some work to do, because the site has 900 galleries.

The maps BTW have the full set of controls of Google maps: they are
zoomable, shiftable (move the mouse with the pressed left key), and you
can choose the view type (map, satellite, physical map etc.).

In fact Google maps is great. The only problem is that Google maps is
not so detailed in south east Asia, for instance the Perhentian islands
Google map is a bit weird and the area around Mt Kinabalu has very
little detail.
--

Alfred Molon