Locating a restaurant in Shinjuku

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spencer

Default Locating a restaurant in Shinjuku

On a previous visit to Tokyo I ate at a Tengu restaurant in East
Shinjuku. It had excellent food at a good price and I would like to eat
there again during a forthcoming visit. However I am having great
difficulty in locating either the restaurant or an English language map
of the Shinjuku district.
The NY Times says "There's another Tengu in East Shinjuku on Yasukuni
Dori at 3-20-5 Shinjuku " but my efforts on Google fail to locate this
address. I will be staying at the Century Southern Hotel at 2-2-1
Yoyogi, Shibuya and will need to walk from there to the Tengu.
If anyone can help with a suitable map or site where I can get English
language walking directioins I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Spencer

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Maurice ON4BAM

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 09:58:06 +1300, Spencer wrote:

On a previous visit to Tokyo I ate at a Tengu restaurant in East
Shinjuku. It had excellent food at a good price and I would like to eat
there again during a forthcoming visit. However I am having great
difficulty in locating either the restaurant or an English language map
of the Shinjuku district.
The NY Times says "There's another Tengu in East Shinjuku on Yasukuni
Dori at 3-20-5 Shinjuku " but my efforts on Google fail to locate this
address. I will be staying at the Century Southern Hotel at 2-2-1
Yoyogi, Shibuya and will need to walk from there to the Tengu.
If anyone can help with a suitable map or site where I can get English
language walking directioins I would be very grateful.

Good luck on finding an English language map... ;-) Last summer we gat
around in Japan with my Garmin Colorado and Japanese map. While
planning I looked up every site we wanted to see or go to and made
waypoints of it. This worked great because we could't read most of the
streets signs too. The "Dori's" were in English though.
If you use Google Earth and look for Yasukuni you will find a shrine
with that name. It's east of Shinjuku Station and north of the
Imperial Palace. There are restaurants along the main road south of
the Shrine which may be Yasukuni Dori. The Toei-Shinjuku subway
Kudan****a and JR-Chuo Ichigaya stations are closeby.
Hope this helps a bit.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spencer

Maurice ON4BAM wrote:
[...]

Thanks Maurice, will try this
Happy New Year
Spencer

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

"Spencer" wrote in message
Maurice ON4BAM wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 09:58:06 +1300, Spencer wrote:

On a previous visit to Tokyo I ate at a Tengu restaurant in East
Shinjuku. It had excellent food at a good price and I would like to eat
there again during a forthcoming visit. However I am having great
difficulty in locating either the restaurant or an English language map
of the Shinjuku district.
The NY Times says "There's another Tengu in East Shinjuku on Yasukuni
Dori at 3-20-5 Shinjuku " but my efforts on Google fail to locate this
address. I will be staying at the Century Southern Hotel at 2-2-1 Yoyogi,
Shibuya and will need to walk from there to the Tengu.
If anyone can help with a suitable map or site where I can get English
language walking directioins I would be very grateful.

Google may fail to find that exact address, I haven't tried but if you just
do a google on Shinjuku Tokyo and then go to the top of the google result
and click on maps you will find a pretty good English map with Japanese
characters as well. You may have to "roll the wheel" a bit to see the
things of interest to you such as the label for Yasukuni Dori. Once you can
see your street replace Shinjuku Tokyo with 3-20-5 Shinjuku and get your
result..... "A" may be your place. Good luck, s

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

"Spencer" wrote in message
Maurice ON4BAM wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 09:58:06 +1300, Spencer wrote:

On a previous visit to Tokyo I ate at a Tengu restaurant in East
Shinjuku. It had excellent food at a good price and I would like to eat
there again during a forthcoming visit. However I am having great
difficulty in locating either the restaurant or an English language map
of the Shinjuku district.
The NY Times says "There's another Tengu in East Shinjuku on Yasukuni
Dori at 3-20-5 Shinjuku " but my efforts on Google fail to locate this
address. I will be staying at the Century Southern Hotel at 2-2-1 Yoyogi,
Shibuya and will need to walk from there to the Tengu.
If anyone can help with a suitable map or site where I can get English
language walking directioins I would be very grateful.

Try pasting this in your browser....it's your place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3-20-5+Shinjuku+restaurants&sll=35.692894,139.703001&ss pn=0.002919,0.006706&ie=UTF8&hq=3-20-5+Shinjuku+restaurants&hnear=&ll=35.692873,139.702 685&spn=0.00281,0.006706&t=h&z=18&iwloc=A&cid=4148 090523015213476

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spencer

Steve Cain wrote:
"Spencer" wrote in message

Maurice ON4BAM wrote:

[...]

Hi Steve

Thankyou very much for your efforts and assistance. It is appreciated.
I was delighted with my previous visit to Japan and found the people to
be friendly and helpful for older folk (like me!!)
Regards
Spencer