Zanzibar

Old February 26th, 2005, 11:45 PM
David Eerdmans

Default Zanzibar

This summer I'll fly to Dar es Salaam for a trip through Tanzania, Malawi
and Zambia. I'm considering a short side trip to Zanzibar, as I heard good
things about it. However, I'm a bit in doubt about it because I'm not the
beach type of person and Zanzibar seems rather geared towards that kind of
tourism.

- Do you think a trip to Zanzibar would be worth it?
- Any recommendations on accomodations in Stone Town? I'm looking for not
too expensive accomodations. As long as it's clean and safe I'm happy with
it.
- What's the best way to get to it from DAR? I've read about regular and
fast ferries, but cannot find out prices and timetables. I know Precision
Air also flies to it (short flight - only 20 minutes) but cannot find price
quotes on their web site.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
David

Old February 27th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Liz

In message 01c51c54$ea2bd960$9600000a@mijn-computer
"David Eerdmans" wrote:

This summer I'll fly to Dar es Salaam for a trip through Tanzania, Malawi
and Zambia. I'm considering a short side trip to Zanzibar, as I heard good
things about it. However, I'm a bit in doubt about it because I'm not the
beach type of person and Zanzibar seems rather geared towards that kind of
tourism.

Not at all: there are lots of things you can do.

- Do you think a trip to Zanzibar would be worth it?

I really like Zanzibar, and have about a ten-minute max boredom threshold on
a beach, but like anything, it depends what *you* like to do.
Even wandering around Stone Town is interesting.
You're advised not to wander the town at night, but we got lost...for about
three hours! When we stayed out of town at Mbweni Ruins, they were very
careful about our security: when we walked along the beach, one of their
staff followed us 'at a discreet distance', and when we went to New
Emerson's they took us in and picked us up again at a pre-arranged time.
This was a few years back - apparently someone had been mugged a couple of
weeks before.

Some things you can do:
Visit the Red Colobus monkeys at Jozani Forest.
Go snorkelling (e.g. Chumbe Island)
Spice tours.
Slave Tour.
Dinner at Emerson's and Greens ("New Emerson") for the experience - you book
this through your hotel/accommodation, which seems strange, especially if
the place you're staying offers dinners, but it seems quite standard, and I
presume they get a commission.

There's a big festival in the south which is supposed to be worth visiting
if you're on the island at the right time (we were, but we couldn't get
transport!)

I found the Bradt Guide very useful.

- Any recommendations on accomodations in Stone Town? I'm looking for not
too expensive accomodations. As long as it's clean and safe I'm happy with
it.

I've heard good things about St Monica's Guesthouse.

Some pix starting at:
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/tanzania...bar/zanhom.htm

Soneone else will have to help you with the specific current transport
prices....

Slainte

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Whitedog

On 26 Feb 2005 22:45:31 GMT, "David Eerdmans"
wrote:

- Do you think a trip to Zanzibar would be worth it?
- Any recommendations on accomodations in Stone Town? I'm looking for not
too expensive accomodations. As long as it's clean and safe I'm happy with
it.

Zanzibar is definitely worth a trip,
On our way back from the East Coast we were advised to try (and stayed
at) the Garden Lodge in Vuga Street last year. It had just been
refurbished and has nice airy rooms with antique furniture at what we
though was a very reasonable (and negotiable--try it!) price.
The rooftop restaurant was only serving breakfast then but may be up
to evening meals now.

Stone Town is much safer than it appears at first look, if you go, be
sensible but relax and enjoy what it has to offer, it's a unique
experience you may wish to repeat.

- What's the best way to get to it from DAR? I've read about regular and
fast ferries, but cannot find out prices and timetables. I know Precision
Air also flies to it (short flight - only 20 minutes) but cannot find price
quotes on their web site.

Zanair and Coastal also fly to Znz, Coastal have a website which
allows you to check times etc though I expect their online booking to
be not working still! If you email them they'll be really helpful.
Expect to pay around $55 one way.

Enjoy Zanzibar.

--
.--~~,__
:-....,-------`~~'._.' Th*s s*g *s s*ff*r*ng fr*m *rr*t*bl* v*w*l syndr*m*

Old February 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Nick

As a previous writer commented, it depends on what you like to do. I have
been there twice, so going back speaks for itself. I like it very much.

The most interesting thing is the Arab influence. The combination of Arabic
and African is interesting. I think you also find it in Dar but I never
spent much time there, so I'm not so sure.

www.allaboutzanzibar.com is a good resource. A stay at Emerson & Green
encapsulates nicely what I hoped to discover. A meal at their top floor
restaurant is a must.

I never went to the south og the island where one can swim with dolphins.
Another argument for me to go back.

I am not connected to allaboutzanibar.com in any way. I used them for my
travels and they did an excellent job. They deserve some free advertisement.

Old March 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Francesca Porcù

"David Eerdmans" wrote:

This summer I'll fly to Dar es Salaam for a trip through Tanzania, Malawi
and Zambia. I'm considering a short side trip to Zanzibar, as I heard good
things about it.

Hi David,
I have just come back (last night) from Zanzibar, where I have spent the
last 4 days of my Tanzanian journey and I can definitely say it is worth the
trip.
As for the transportation from Dar-Es-Salaam, we went by ferry boat. It
takes about two hours and costs $ 35 one way for a second class seat and $
40 for a first class one (which just means you're going to seat in the upper
deck).
On the island you can get almost everywhere by dala dala (sort of collective
taxi) which are quite cheap and give you the opportunity to spend some time
with local people which is, in my opinion, the best part of every journey.
Stonetown is quite safe. We walked all day through the narrow "Suq-style"
streets and had a delicious lunch at a restaurant called Monsoon.
If you need any further information, do not hesitate to ask!
Have a good journey!
Francesca

Old March 13th, 2005, 01:42 AM
elliot

My wife and I also wish to visit Zanzibar, but how long we might stay is
something we cant decide on.
We enjoy a bit of night life, sidewalk bars and cold beer in the
afternoon...I have no idea how the issu of alcohol may be treated in
Zanzibar as it seems to have a large Islamic.
Reni and Elliot.

Old March 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM
elliot

Sorry...I meant "A large Islamic culture which may prohibit or restrict
the sale of alcoholic beverages."