Travelling to Somalia

Old July 14th, 2005, 11:36 AM
JohnM

In article , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
One of the problems is insecurity, and that will be your biggest
problem, I guess. Most urgently you need a safe place to stay,
after you arrive.

From what I hear you also need bodyguards to walk about. They are very
cheap apparently. They have guns and act as a deterrent. I suggest you
contact someone from Nairobi - stray a few days there and find out
someone.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul &
Old July 14th, 2005, 12:59 PM
JohnM

In article , JohnM
writes
stray a few days there

That should have been 'stay' of course :-) I must have been thinking of
bullets.

Old July 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Tashi

Good health and high spirits!

If you want to know about a recent excursion in Somolia, follow the link
below my signature. It's a travel site where people can post reports, pics,
travel tips and such for free.. If you want to add alot of pics I think
there is a price.. otherwise the site is free.
once your there, check out this guys site
http://www.globosapiens.net/wojtekd He's my hero!! this guy has traveled to
just about every single country in the world..he travelled to Eritrea,
Djibouti and Somolia in Nov. 2004. to find information on this go to his
"travel log" then enter to pg. 10. here is an exerpt from it.

"Poor, destroyed by civil war Somalia is divided now into 3 parts. The
northern one - Somaliland is doing best. Very few people know how does it
look like... I decided to go and see...
Exciting adventure! Since Somaliland is not recognized as a state it has no
embassies abroad. I got the scan of my visa via internet - it was arranged
by Ambassador Hotel in Hargeisa - the capital city of Somaliland.
After 45-min flight on a junk Il-18 plane I landed today in Somali. My first
impessions: blue sky, dry heat, noisy crowd in the tiny airport terminal.
Before you go to the immigrations you are forced to change in the bank
window at least 50 USD on official rate (1USD=3500 Somaliland Shillings)
minus commission. While the market rate is 6500!!! Then be prepared to pay
20 USD of immigration fee. Then you will get your stamp. Doors will open.
You are in Somaliland. There must be a country like that! "
his other website is http://kontynenty.tpi.pl this one lists all of his
travels.. he's truely amazing.

check it out, he can probably give you more answers to your questions.
--
How funky are your chickens!
LIFE IS AN ATTITUDE!

Old July 15th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:36:14 +0100, JohnM
wrote:

In article , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

One of the problems is insecurity, and that will be your biggest
problem, I guess. Most urgently you need a safe place to stay,
after you arrive.

From what I hear you also need bodyguards to walk about. They are very
cheap apparently. They have guns and act as a deterrent. I suggest you
contact someone from Nairobi - stray a few days there and find out
someone.

I think it may be wiser to use a bodyguard with local knowledge.
Perhaps all you need is just a clever guide, rather than a
bodyguard. But then I can't be sure, haven't been to Mogadishu.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM

wrote:

In article , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

One of the problems is insecurity, and that will be your biggest
problem, I guess. Most urgently you need a safe place to stay,
after you arrive.

From what I hear you also need bodyguards to walk about. They are very
cheap apparently. They have guns and act as a deterrent. I suggest you
contact someone from Nairobi - stray a few days there and find out
someone.

I think it may be wiser to use a bodyguard with local knowledge.
Perhaps all you need is just a clever guide, rather than a
bodyguard. But then I can't be sure, haven't been to Mogadishu.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Where is Somalia are you going?

You can always catch a flight from Dubai.

Somaliland is save. Dubai to Hargeisa is around $300.

Good luck.