Johannesburg to Kruger - advice sought

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Andy[_1_]

Default Johannesburg to Kruger - advice sought

In the mid-September I will be in Cape Town for a meeting and then plan
to fly to Johannesburg and see Kruger park. I almost never travel with
a group, but this time I will have only 3 or 4 days and probably will
need a tour. I'd appreciate a recommendation on a tour operator which
does pick up/ drop off at the airport and a particular route. Also, if
I decide to drive myself, how easy will be to find my way and to see
the park? Are GPS units permitted in the SA? This might sound stupid,
but a colleague of mine got into a Russian jail for bringing in a GPS
unit a few years ago.

Thanks
Andy

Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Dave Patterson

A good map will take you right to Kruger and you
can self-drive in the park, no problem. Here's a few
hundred sites that you can use to find a place to stay.
http://www.cbel.com/south_africa/
The drive from the Johannesburg airport is anywhere
from 4 to 5 hours.
GPS?
This is not Russia we are talking about.
Of course you can use GPS.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott Elliot

Since your time is limited, you might consider flying directly from
Johannesburg to Skukuzu which is right in Kruger. You could probably
arrange to have a tour guide pick you up there.

When we went to Kruger we picked up a car from Avis on arrival at Skukuzu,
but we had pre-booked our accommodation with South Africa National Parks.
We just drove from one camp to the next and made arrangements for night
drives, morning drives, etc. at the office in each camp. The rest of the
time we drove around on our own and saw lots of game.

I had my GPS with me, but no one ever asked about it so I don't know whether
it was legal or not. If this is your first trip to the southern hemisphere,
you can get really disoriented as the sun swings to the north of you instead
of the south. I didn't have a GPS on my first trip and my northern
hemisphere compass wouldn't work. We got pretty turned around in some of
the game parks in Zimbabwe until we got accustomed to the path of the sun.
A GPS would have been handy on that trip. I didn't find it very useful in
Kruger because you can get reasonably good maps and the roads are well
marked.

Scott

oups.com...

Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

It's a comfortable 5 hour drive from Johannesburg to Kruger on good
roads. Flying to the park is quicker, and you can hire a car in
Nelspruit or possibly Skukuza.

See http://www.nationalparks.co.za for full details.

GPS is not only completely LEGAL to use here, but also not really
necesssary. Our road system is nowhere near as complex as in Europe,
and a good map is usually all that is needed. However, please bring
your GPS if you feel more comfortable with it.

Personally, I would go with the self-drive option in the park. It
means you can drive at your own pace, you can stop for as long as you
like to watch the animals you like etc.

You've picked the perfect time of the year to go to the park. The
grass will be low, and the weather cooler.

Marc

Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Michael Kilpatrick

I'm an Australian but have visited Kruger several times, most recently 4
weeks ago.
I agree with the comments made by the other people who have replied to your
question.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to drive yourself. Just buy a map when
you enter the park. The signposting is thorough and it's simple to find
your way around. All the roads are suitable for a normal vehicle - you
don't need 4WD and if you go onto the dirt roads, you sometimes won't see
another car for hours.

You probably should book accomodation in advance via the Parks Board
website.

You'll see more game in the South half of the park - it's less densely
forested apart from anything else.

Regarding where to stay, Lower Sabi has a nice restaurant overlooking the
Sabi River and Satara is said to have the highest density of lions in the
area around it, but all the camps are OK and you can have excellent
sightings anywhere.

It's a fantastic place to visit.

Michael

Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Lou

I agree with Marc . Flying to the park is quicker (safes you time), and hire
a car in the main camp Skukuza.
Make some bookings at some camps in advance and make you own gamedrives. We
visited the park two times (totally we stayed 27 days overthere). You can
buy good roadmaps for the park so absolutely no GPS needed
Have a nice time overthere!
--
==================================
Lou Andreoli

==================================

"Marc Lurie" schreef in bericht

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Andy[_1_]

Thanks a lot for replies! I really appreciate your advices.

Andy

Old August 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné[_2_]

.. Also, if
I decide to drive myself, how easy will be to find my way and to see
the park?

Best you can do is fly to KMIA (Kruger Main Int. Airport), outside
Nelspruit. There you can hire a car and drive yourself to the park (about 20
minutes). At the shops at the entrance gate you can buy maps of the Kruger
park (and surroundings). In the park you really don't need GPRS, and as far
as I know this is not forbidden, many SA travel with GPRS.

For booking in the park you can visit the websites mentioned in previous
posted answers.

Enjoy! September is a good month to spot animals, as this is generallys
still a dry month. The game will concentrate around the waterholes and
rivers.

Bushregards,

Corné.

www.amukela.com