Zenith & Horizon going to Island Cruises !!!!

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:02 AM
KPJEG

Default Zenith & Horizon going to Island Cruises !!!!

I just read on another BB that the Zenith & Horizon will be going to Island
cruises . Witch RCCI also own's . The Horizon will go Jan 2004 and the Zenith
after the Bermuda season . The poster who i read it from is most times right .
I don't know .
Ken G..........

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:21 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Never mind, I went and found it myself. Here is the link:
http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/O...m=37130683 57

sue

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:57 AM
Tom & Linda

Actually...

And Ben will kill me...

But given the desire to redefine Celebrity's brand at a more premium
level (at least in terms of pricing)...

The ships that I don't see fitting are Century, Galaxy and Mercury.

The modern focus on premium level demands that almost all cabins on a
ship be balcony cabins. Millie class ships have the balconies, but
Century class ships don't have enough.

What I would do is the following:

Build either one or two Bermuda replacement ships with balconies. These
are size outliers... but I'm not sure what else to do with Bermuda.

Transfer Century, Galaxy and Mercury to the RCI brand. They would be
good fits to go along with the Vision class ships for a certain mid size
group of ships.

Take any planned Radiance hulls and make them Millie sisters. Maybe
even move the Radiance class ships to Celebrity. Radiance class size
ships are probably a better fit with Celebrity than RCI. RCI's
signature for new ships should ONLY be Voyager. Make any new RCI ships
Voyager or Voyager Plus ships.

--Tom

Old October 31st, 2003, 06:05 AM

No, Jeff will kill you first! In any case, I would not "trade up" the
Radiance class ships to Celebrity. Based on just our sailing on the
Serenade, I wouldn't say it's outfitted nearly as nicely as a Celebrity
ship. Wall finishes were "faker" wood in many places, furniture was
duller (aka, more sturdy, less creative). And some areas are just plain
cheesy in my book (the elephants in the covered pool area), the
champagne bar (light wood and seafoam glass out of a 1983 fern bar), and
the whole Safari Club thing, while nice, is a bit theme park like.
Cheesy just doesn't cut it in the "elegant" Celebrity fleet, imho.
Other than Century, both Galaxy and Mercury have a fine number of
baloncies I think. Nothing beats the Century-class aqua spas either.

I do think Celebrity needs to shed ships to raise per diems to where
they claim to want them to be.

Oh, and raise the level of the food and service back up to where it
should be. Some of us like things that are not dumbed down to the bad
taste of the average American consumer.

Jeff

Old October 31st, 2003, 11:39 AM
Howard Garland

Oh, and raise the level of the food and service back up to where it
should be. Some of us like things that are not dumbed down to the bad
taste of the average American consumer.

Jeff

Hmm? Is that why Celebrity started serving that awful lambsteak, Jeff?

Old October 31st, 2003, 06:24 PM
Benjamin Smith

wrote in message .. .
[...]

I think in terms of what defines Celebrity. As an experience the
service style, at one point in their existance their cuisine, the zero
announcement policies, a certain subdued nature to the cruise. The
ships are defined with certain "signature" areas such as the aqua spa
with thellasotherapy pools, the provacative art, the outgoing
Michael's Clubs, the Cova cafe, and some of the period treatment in
lounges. I think Celebrity defined themselves in ship style with the
Century, Galaxy, and Mercury and the M class pretty much have these
signature areas and have added the specialty restaurants. Some of
these areas were also retrofited to the Horizon class. No ship says
Celebrity more than the Century class ship, and that's the opinion of
many repeat Celebrity cruisers. I'm rather puzzled at why Tom would
transfer these very Celebrity styled ships to RCI (and it would
require *major* surgery to make them RCI ships). I understand why he
prefers the M class over the C class but thought that he enjoyed the C
class ships as well. And I agree with Jeff, the Radiance class ships
are NOT Celebrity ships, these are refined RCI ships in style, but
have plenty RCi signatures and designed for an RCI style of cruise
execution. The C class Celebrity ships I would argue are designed to
execute the most Celebrity style of cruise. Yes, there are fewer
balconies but balconies don't define Celebrity, all new ships have
them. I don't think there's that much about the M class that defines
Celebrity that is not present in the C class and there's more intimacy
in the C class, that one very important aspect to some cruisers that
the M class almost totally lacks.

I don't agree with Tom that the only RCI ships are Voyager class, the
Radiance class has just as much approval and are a natural progression
from the Vision class--some folks also don't want to go on the massive
Voyager ships. I think the 85000 to 92000 or so ton size is the new
mainstream ship size, replacing the 70 to 80,000 tonners.

As far as the Horizon and Zenith going away I think it is another
unsubstantiated rumour and another prediction. Tim Rubacky made a
prediction that one of these ships was going over to Princess that
turned out not to be the case. And Tim was known as a guy with insider
info. I've seen many predictions not pan out. I very strongly doubt
that RCi is interested in putting a 110000 ton ship in the Celebrity
fleet either. I *do* think, though I don't like it, that the C class
ships may be stretched with specialty restaurants added as well as
more balconies.

Ben S.

Old October 31st, 2003, 10:11 PM
Tom & Linda

Benjamin Smith wrote:

I think in terms of what defines Celebrity. As an experience the
service style, at one point in their existance their cuisine, the zero
announcement policies, a certain subdued nature to the cruise. The
ships are defined with certain "signature" areas such as the aqua spa
with thellasotherapy pools, the provacative art, the outgoing
Michael's Clubs, the Cova cafe, and some of the period treatment in
lounges. I think Celebrity defined themselves in ship style with the
Century, Galaxy, and Mercury and the M class pretty much have these
signature areas and have added the specialty restaurants. snip
The C class Celebrity ships I would argue are designed to
execute the most Celebrity style of cruise. Yes, there are fewer
balconies but balconies don't define Celebrity, all new ships have
them.

The very first line in the movie "Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of
the Rings" is...

"The World is changed."

What defined Celebrity 7 years ago was in a different time.

Like you said. Today ALL ships are loaded with balconies.

If you want to define yourself as premium... you need to build on that
as a base, and THEN add extra.

You can't be premium without balconies. If you don't have balconies
you're not even playing on an equal playing field, no less considering
yourself premium.

To be premium - IF you want to charge more, you need to start with ships
with nearly all balconies, and then add those things by which you want
to define yourself.

To expect to be able to charge extra today on a ship without a lot of
balconies, like on Century, is simply not realistic IMO.

--Tom
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:13 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Zenith & Horizon going to Island Cruises !!!!

I *do* think, though I don't like it, that the C class
ships may be stretched with specialty restaurants added as well as

Hi Ben:

If the Specialty restaurants are SO POPULAR, I wonder how come the Captain's
Club sent out freebie coupons in the last mailer.

In speaking with friends who work in several of the SR's, traffic is way down.

History repeating itself???? Remember the first ship(s) to have SR's??? Then
the novelty wore off.

I have heard the same reports... and through totally non-related sources to
those who have commented in cyberworld.

110,000 ton ships for Celebrity? Don't think so. However, the 91,000 Radiance
hull is done.. and that has been public knowledge for awhile.

Babette