Tanzania Sugested Routes of Travel ....got 4 weeks to play with

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Default Tanzania ....got 4 weeks to play with .....Thanks

"BAC" wrote:

I'm looking for a new experience, to see the wild life and local color. I'm willing to spend a few bucks but tend to stay in budget accommodations

BAC,

the fundamental problem is that the most and best wildlife views
are inside protected areas, and you cannot get in there without
a car. Moreover, accommodation in and nearby nature reserves is
relatively expensive, unless you camp out on your own.

By the way, if things don't work out well I would recommend to
take it easy and put the gorillas off for a later second visit.
The gorilla visit is more on the difficult side and not
obviously the best thing to do on a first time visit.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 10th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:43:43 +0100, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
to go from Nairobi to Mwanza, then cross the lake into Uganda,
seems like an intentional detour. :-)

I mean, once you're in Nairobi there's absolutely no need to go
to the other side of the Lake, then cross it back again.

One would not purposely go from Nairobi to Mwanza and then cross into
Uganda.

If you are starting in Nairobi and want to end up in Zanzibar with
minimal back tracking the routing might look like this:

Nairobi - Kampala (by road)
Kampala - Bwindi
See gorillas
Bwindi - Kampala
Kampala - Mwanza (Cross Lake Victoria)
Mwanza - Arusha
Safari
Arusha - Dar Es Salaam
Dar Es Salaam - Zanzibar

If the roads were good and ferry were still running, going through
Mwanza would be both more direct and more fun than passing through Nairobi
a second time. It also saves on visas if you end up going all the way
to Rwanda rather than seeing the gorillas in Bwindi.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Old January 10th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Eric Edwards

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:12:25 GMT, Liz wrote:
In message
(Eric Edwards) wrote:
As far as I know, all the gorilla venues are US$ cash only.

That's my info, and the last time I checked, it was $200 per day.

Rwanda was $250 in 2002. Bwindi, at least, is now up to $270.

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:55 PM
BAC

Thanks, Hans....I agree. Too much to see in too little time. Looks like I'm
going to focus on Tanzania. A week or more on Zanzibar and Pemba Is to do
some sun, fun and diving. A week in the bush...I'll go to Arusha and look
for a safari that will give me some time in the parks (not driving to and
from), would prefer a tent safari. I'd also have never hot air
ballooned....why not do it above the Serengeti? Possibly a 3 day hike to the
top of MT Meru (don't think my knees will take Mt. Killi. I'll lose some
time in traveling to/from Tanzania, hanging out, decompressing, checking out
Dar es Salaam and travel in country....7 days?? And I'd like to get up to
Eastern Tsavo in Kenya but that might be a dream.......all in all, that will
eat up 4 weeks. How's that sound for a trip? Looks like I'll have to dig
deep for the bucks but what the hell, why not.

Anyone have any input?

Old January 26th, 2004, 10:48 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

"BAC" wrote:

[...]

Actually I'd think of further reducing the width to increase the
depth, if you know what I mean. Skip Tsavo East, that's not a
good place for a first trip.

The pearls of Kenya are Samburu, Maasai Mara and perhaps
Amboseli. But the Serengeti is adjacent to Maasai Mara, so you
really don't have to visit both. The pearl of Tanzania is the
Ngorongoro Crater, but Tanzania is big and has quite a few more
very beautiful places.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Liz

In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

"BAC" wrote:

Thanks, Hans....I agree. Too much to see in too little time. Looks like I'm
going to focus on Tanzania. A week or more on Zanzibar and Pemba Is to do
some sun, fun and diving. A week in the bush...I'll go to Arusha and look
for a safari that will give me some time in the parks (not driving to and
from), would prefer a tent safari. I'd also have never hot air
ballooned....why not do it above the Serengeti?

Hmmmm
Jury's out on the ballooning.
It's *very* expensive, and you only get about an hour in the air.
Sometime you see stuff, sometimes not, like any game viewing - but the
animals are usually running away from you.
Your choice, of course, but if budget's a big deal, or even a deal, maybe
save your once-in-a-lifetime balloon trip for sailing over the dunes in
Namibia?

Possibly a 3 day hike to the
top of MT Meru (don't think my knees will take Mt. Killi. I'll lose some
time in traveling to/from Tanzania, hanging out, decompressing, checking out
Dar es Salaam and travel in country....7 days?? And I'd like to get up to
Eastern Tsavo in Kenya but that might be a dream.......all in all, that will
eat up 4 weeks. How's that sound for a trip? Looks like I'll have to dig
deep for the bucks but what the hell, why not.
Anyone have any input?

Actually I'd think of further reducing the width to increase the
depth, if you know what I mean. Skip Tsavo East, that's not a
good place for a first trip.

Yeah, I wondered about that too.
Did you ('BAC') have any reason for fancying Tsavo East?

The pearls of Kenya are Samburu, Maasai Mara and perhaps
Amboseli. But the Serengeti is adjacent to Maasai Mara, so you
really don't have to visit both. The pearl of Tanzania is the
Ngorongoro Crater, but Tanzania is big and has quite a few more
very beautiful places.

Agreed.
Amboseli is relatively easy to get to from Arusha via Namanga, but really as
long as your safari trip in Serengeti is at the right time (otherwise skip
it and spend the time in Ngorongoro) you might be better to stay in
Tanzania, or if you really want to include Kenya, and pay the extra visa,
unless that has changed again, try for Samburu, but that's adding extra time
if by road, or expense if flying.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia