How to get from The Hague to Paris on strike day?

Old June 15th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Alan \(in Brussels\)

Default How to get from The Hague to Paris on strike day?

"The Rev Gaston" a écrit dans le message de
Just my luck - I have a train ticket to go from The Hague to Paris this
Friday, but a train strike is announced in NL, and apparently there are
no trains north of Antwerp.

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting from The Hague to Paris,
whether via Antwerp or otherwise?

Alternatively - does anyone know if this strike is actually sure to
happen, or are these things called off at the last minute?

In your shoes, I'd take one of the evening trains tomorrow (Thursday) to
Antwerp Centraal Sta., and stay overnight in one of the numerous hotels
nearby. But note that Connexxion bus route 19 runs from Breda via Antwerp
Noorderplaats (about 2 km from Centraal sta.) to Hulst (and vv) : journey
planners are on www.connexxion.nl or (whole NL) www.9292ov.nl .

Regards,

- Alan (in Brussels)

Old June 15th, 2005, 10:27 PM
John Bermont

The Rev Gaston wrote:
Just my luck - I have a train ticket to go from The Hague to Paris this
Friday, but a train strike is announced in NL, and apparently there are
no trains north of Antwerp.

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting from The Hague to Paris,
whether via Antwerp or otherwise?

Alternatively - does anyone know if this strike is actually sure to
happen, or are these things called off at the last minute?

G;

This strike has been publicized for some time, maybe weeks. Dutch labor
unions are so accommodating and user friendly in announcing job actions,
but they never back down once the strike call is made, unless the
manglement (deliberate) backs down first. Strike for another day to go
to Paris.

* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Ulf Kutzner

"Alan (in Brussels)" schrieb:

In your shoes, I'd take one of the evening trains tomorrow (Thursday) to
Antwerp Centraal Sta., and stay overnight in one of the numerous hotels
nearby. But note that Connexxion bus route 19 runs from Breda via Antwerp
Noorderplaats (about 2 km from Centraal sta.) to Hulst (and vv) : journey
planners are on www.connexxion.nl or (whole NL) www.9292ov.nl .

http://www.connexxion.nl/dienstregeling/mainscreen.asp?lijncode=Z019&richting=2&dagtype=WK &future=false&datum=2005-06-16
might help.

Regards, ULF
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Ulf Kutzner

The Rev Gaston schrieb:

Just my luck - I have a train ticket to go from The Hague to Paris this
Friday, but a train strike is announced in NL, and apparently there are
no trains north of Antwerp.

Does anyone have any good ideas for getting from The Hague to Paris,
whether via Antwerp or otherwise?

http://www.thalys.com/nl/nl/news?art...0NS%2017-06-05
might help a bit if you call them.

Regards, ULF
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM

John:

"This strike has been publicized for some time, maybe weeks. Dutch
labor
unions are so accommodating and user friendly in announcing job
actions,
but they never back down once the strike call is made, unless the
manglement (deliberate) backs down first. Strike for another day to go
to Paris."

Too bad Thalys didn't mention that small fact when I booked my tickets.
In fact they didn't mention it to a bunch of people because as of a
week ago all the direct trains were full.

In the end we will rent a car. For 2 people it's not *enormously* more
than the train fare.

Unfortunately I have a meeting on Friday, so can't change the schedule.