What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Default What is your favorite European megalithic? (other than Stonehenge)

Surreyman wrote:

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:20:24 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:

[]
Ah, good tip. A little OT but we're visiting Israel/Jordan in April and

I'd wondered about spending a night in Petra just for that...

[]
Do it - an experience we've never forgotten. It gives you time, too, to
get up onto the heights (Monastery etc.) where the guided tours never go -
in fact they rarely get beyond the amphitheatre a third of the way along
the valley! More than happy to discuss further if you wish.

Still doing a bit of research. Flying to Tel Aviv from Mancester, then
after a few days plan to fly to Eilat, but will probably stay in Aqaba
instead, 3-4 days, beach stuff/relaxation. Would make sense to stay in
Petra on the way up north, looking to have a somewhat circular trip
(e.g. Dead Sea) ending in Jerusalem, then back to airport etc.- 14 night
trip, would prefer not to stay in more than 5 different hotels. Public
transport/taxi only. It's all a bit undecided at the moment, other than
the dates of the flights to/from Tel Aviv.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old February 21st, 2013, 11:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:11:33 PM UTC, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[...]

Eilat/Aqaba is a great centre for all.
Eilat is more 'developed concrete' but has better transport links throughout area than Aqaba. The surrounding mountain scenery from both is delightful.. Aqaba is good old L of A country of course! :-)
Egypt/Israel/Jordan border crossings were easy, but that was some time back - best to check current situation. (A local, easily obtained visa was then needed from Israel into Egypt).
Day journeys easy into southern Sinai (St. Catherine's, Mount Sinai etc. - plus, particularly, beautiful desert areas).
Petra possible on an organised day trip but leaves short time, as above.
Overnight (or longer if you choose) trips possible from Eilat to Jerusalem, Jeddah, Dead Sea, Masada, Negev, Bethlehem, Suez/Cairo/Pyramids (again, I'm not sure re current travel hang-ups). Even Luxor/Aswan is possible, I believe but, as you're probably aware, that's far better done within its own entity.
So an Eilat/Aqaba hotel could be a one-stop for much.
Re Petra we took a normal day trip coach from Eilat, but let them return without us, joining another day trip coach for the return journey next day. We could have (should have, in retrospect) stayed 2 nights to investigate Wadi Rum far more.
I think it was the Movenpick hotel we stayed in, right by the Petra entry gates, which I think opened around 6 a.m. (We were the only people in the hotel, let alone the Petra valley!). It's very much day trip country, so staying locally beats all the crowds.
Suggest, in the early morning, you walk right through the Petra valley (alone, absolute magic) to the far end - there, donkeys are available for the (quite precarious!) climb up to Monastery etc. But more than well worth it!

Regards,
Alan

Old February 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Surreyman wrote:

[]
[...]

Thanks for the information, and the tips. We've been to Cairo and the
Nile Valley before, but weren't planning to go to Sinai. We plan only to
exit Israel into Jordan at Eilat/Aqaba and then back into Israel at one
of the border points further north. Don't know if you're in the UK at
the moment, but last night's programme on BBC HD was terrific and
included a short bit on Petra:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ia_Sand_Wind_a
nd_Stars/

David

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 9:13:21 AM UTC, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[]

[...]

Well, Catherine's/Mount Sinai/Desert is a very easy day coach trip (if that's how you want to do it). It was our introduction to the south Sinai desert some 20 years ago now, and we've specifically returned to that region numerous times since (inland, not the plastic coast resorts). If you like desert scenery, it's beautiful.
If you're going up from Aqaba to Petra, strongly also recommend spending time in Wadi Rum en route (again, if you like desert scenery).
Thanks or the link - knowingly had to miss it last night but intended to take a look.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Surreyman wrote:

[]

Well, Catherine's/Mount Sinai/Desert is a very easy day coach trip (if
that's how you want to do it). It was our introduction to the south Sinai
desert some 20 years ago now, and we've specifically returned to that
region numerous times since (inland, not the plastic coast resorts). If
you like desert scenery, it's beautiful. If you're going up from Aqaba to
Petra, strongly also recommend spending time in Wadi Rum en route (again,
if you like desert scenery). Thanks or the link - knowingly had to miss it
last night but intended to take a look.

Thanks- Wadi Rum is on the list we're pondering. The only further I've
got in the planning is to buy the one-way tickets from Tel Aviv to
Eilat.

David

Old February 23rd, 2013, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 2/23/2013 11:07 AM, David Horne wrote:
Surreyman wrote:

[]

Well, Catherine's/Mount Sinai/Desert is a very easy day coach trip (if
that's how you want to do it). It was our introduction to the south Sinai
desert some 20 years ago now, and we've specifically returned to that
region numerous times since (inland, not the plastic coast resorts). If
you like desert scenery, it's beautiful. If you're going up from Aqaba to
Petra, strongly also recommend spending time in Wadi Rum en route (again,
if you like desert scenery). Thanks or the link - knowingly had to miss it
last night but intended to take a look.

Thanks- Wadi Rum is on the list we're pondering. The only further I've
got in the planning is to buy the one-way tickets from Tel Aviv to
Eilat.

Interesting tho' this extension is, it is still masquerading under the
title "European megalithic".

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, February 23, 2013 5:33:41 PM UTC, James Silverton wrote:
On 2/23/2013 11:07 AM, David Horne wrote:

Surreyman wrote:

[]

Well, Catherine's/Mount Sinai/Desert is a very easy day coach trip (if

that's how you want to do it). It was our introduction to the south Sinai

desert some 20 years ago now, and we've specifically returned to that

region numerous times since (inland, not the plastic coast resorts). If

you like desert scenery, it's beautiful. If you're going up from Aqaba to

Petra, strongly also recommend spending time in Wadi Rum en route (again,

if you like desert scenery). Thanks or the link - knowingly had to miss it

last night but intended to take a look.

Thanks- Wadi Rum is on the list we're pondering. The only further I've

got in the planning is to buy the one-way tickets from Tel Aviv to

Eilat.

Interesting tho' this extension is, it is still masquerading under the

title "European megalithic".

Wadi Rum: In 'our day' you could fix an overnight with the Jordanian Desert Patrol, with camel treks through the wadis.

Now, you probably have 5* hotels & 4WD - I don't know! :-))

--

Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-02-18 10:53:51 -0600, S Viemeister said:

On 2/18/2013 11:06 AM, Erilar wrote:

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than
Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.

The Ring of Brodgar, in Orkney.
It's approachable, and doesn't feel at all touristy.

I replied to this part, then had other thoughts. Tarxien in Malta is also
fascinating. So is the Taula Sanctuary on, I think, Minorca. Sicily has
some great sites, but a bit later. Back in Orkney, there are so many sites,
but trying to stick to megalithic keeps the list shorter. Skara Brae is
stone. . .

Yes, I _loved_ Skara Brae!

A smaller farmstead, but older (5500 years old) is Knap of Howar on
Papa Westray. I took the short flights from Kirkwall.

Overall I was very impressed with the megalithic density in Orkney. I
am curious if that is because it intrinsically had a high density -
perhaps due to isolation as an island, it grew stronger than the
mainland, or if due to being an island, it was less encrouched-on by
farmers tilling fields or stones robbed for cottages.

Another megalithic-dense area is Kilmartin, in Scotland. I stayed at a
B&B right across the road from the main sites: several stone circles
and alignments, and several tombs of all kinds. And there are several
megalithics in the immediately vicinity. I used the stonepages.com web
site for research to find all these places.

The first seven pages are from the Kilmartin area:

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004_Me...ics_Index.html

Now that I check my sources, I see the Isle of Lewis has a lot of
magnificant megalithics, too.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-02-19 14:21:19 -0600, Paul Aubrin said:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 08:08:37 -0600, Dan Stephenson wrote:

http://stepheda.com/Scotland_2004_Me...way_Broch.html

So: this is probably my favorite megalithic site, because of the mystery
behind it and its uniqueness. Does anyone have an explanation for it?

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than
Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.

Carnac, Gavrinis.

http://www.brittanytourism.com/disco...rittany/carnac

http://noe-education.org/D125.php

That looks fantastic. I heard about there being megalithics in
Brittany. How overall widespread are they, and, what is the scenic
drive like? Specifically, would it make a good two week vacation to
scenic-drive, connecting megalithic sites?

Old March 9th, 2013, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2013-02-18 15:18:45 -0600, Jack Campin said:

What is your favorite megalithic in Europe? And why? Other than
Stonehenge, that is -- that could be an easy choice already.

Tarxien (and other sites), Malta.
Absolutely incomparable - and, I believe, the oldest.

A little way outside Europe, but Gobekli Tepe near Urfa makes
Tarxien and Stonehenge look as modern as a Wal-Mart.

What is your opinion in physical and driving safety in remote areas of
Turkey such as this?

I've visited Turkey because and felt safe, but that wasn't driving (and
they are maniacs in Istanbul), and it was in Istanbul for the most
part. Not the rural hinterland. And this was in 2002, and then 2007.
They've gotten more islamist since then, too, and I just don't know
what that means as an American tourist.