Travel insurance advice ( with AXA insurance )

Old July 30th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Ebodsky

Default Travel insurance advice ( with AXA insurance )

Hi,

After many decades of never claiming a bean off home/motor plus any other
insurances, my wife & I had just had to urgently return back to to UK during
a vacation in France because her father had died suddenly.

I am not normally the kind of person who claims on insurance, but 2 days
after our return and during the process of cancelling some hotel
reservations etc, I have just noticed that our AXA does cover circumstances
for when a close relative dies ( under a section headed cancellation
charges ).

Before I cantact AXA I would like some advice from any insurance claim
veterans in the NG regarding what I should & could claim for.

The holiday was organised solely by us and when briefly along these lines :-

17th July Drive Manchester to Dover and stop in motel.
Cross to Calais and spend 6 nights in motel in Paris ( to vist Eurodisney )
on 24th July leave Paris and drive to St Jean de Monts in the Vendee for two
weeks in a caravan site.
leave on 7th Aug and stop at Chartres for the evening ( just below Paris )
leave on 8th Aug and stop at Calais for the evening, then cross drive home
on the 9th.

In fact we got to our fourth day in the Vendee and on 28th a.m we learnt my
wife's father was having his last rights read to him after an emergency opp.
We bundled everything into the car and drove home , but as we queued around
Paris we learned he had not survived. So after leaving the Altantic coast at
12.30 GMT we drove practically none stop and finally got back in Manchester
at 4.30AM the next moring

I have the telephone number for the claims dept at AXA, but I'm in the mood
to claim every possible penny I can ( like 'everybody else' seems to bloody
do ! ) and I want as much advice as possible over my potential entitlements.

All/Any advice welcome...........

Old July 31st, 2004, 12:14 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Ebodsky wrote:

[...]

There's no harm in making a polite enquiry of your insurance company!
If the event is covered, there's no reason you should not collect, and
so long as you don't use an agressive "pay me or I'll sue" approach,
there's no reason the insurance company would not respond with equal
politeness.

Old July 31st, 2004, 11:08 AM
Ebodsky

There's no harm in making a polite enquiry of your insurance company!
If the event is covered, there's no reason you should not collect, and
so long as you don't use an agressive "pay me or I'll sue" approach,
there's no reason the insurance company would not respond with equal
politeness.

....yeah, but...
I'm sure the insurance co personnel are trained to only advise you about the
minimum possible liability, and not perhaps other consequential things I
haven't yet thought about. My appeal to this NG was based on the expection
of some replies starting with "Don't forget to..." , " Did you know
that......", " After I made my claim, I later learnt I could have ......"

I just wanted to get my act together before I started the whole process off.

Old July 31st, 2004, 11:54 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Ebodsky" had.enuf-of@spam wrote in message
Hi,

After many decades of never claiming a bean off home/motor plus any other
insurances, my wife & I had just had to urgently return back to to UK

during
a vacation in France because her father had died suddenly.

I am not normally the kind of person who claims on insurance, but 2 days
after our return and during the process of cancelling some hotel
reservations etc, I have just noticed that our AXA does cover

circumstances
for when a close relative dies ( under a section headed cancellation
charges ).

Before I cantact AXA I would like some advice from any insurance claim
veterans in the NG regarding what I should & could claim for.

The holiday was organised solely by us and when briefly along these lines

:-

[...]

Dont be aggressive.

Dont inflate your claims - if nothing else its illegal,
you really dont want to prosecuted for making
a fraudulent claim.

AXA are a reputable company why not simply call them
and explain the situation and see what you can claim ?

At the very least any lost deposit or payment for
booked accoomdation and additional channel crossing
expenses will be covered.

Keith