G day mate's and Matilda's

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Anne Chambers

Brizze wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks for your answers.
We only have december and maybe the first week of january.
But is it mostly the east-coast thats crowded ?
When i first went to AU i was told that if one only has a month to see AU
you should choose the east-coast.

But Australia is a big place so what about Darwin, and the south-west
coast ? is it possible to see the sights here, like kakadue, Ayers, Uluru,
and what else? on a month without spending most of the time in a bus or a
plane?
And if so can somebody recomend a good route ?

Thanks Brian

"Julie" skrev i en meddelelse

Brian,

I agree. If you can, give December a miss. Autumn is definitely a better
time. March/April would be ideal. If you are likely to be here over

Easter

it would probably be a good idea to book some accommodation for that time.

Dec, Jan & Feb are very hot north of Brisbane. September, October and
November can be very windy also.

Julie

"A Mate" wrote in message
.au...

Brian - It is true that December is super peak summer holiday time.

Schools

are enjoying their looooong summer vacation; factories are generally

shut

down - and it's fun time!!! Prices for accommodation are at the highest

for

the year - and vacancies are few!!!

Stingers are not really a problem!! They can be about!! But! Popular

beaches

in the stinger areas are netted - using special nets designed by James

Cook

University - and daily beach bulletins advise the risk in un-netted

areas -

usually low to non-existent, depending on the wind direction and

strength!!

If you want peace and relative quiet - February onwards is much better -

or

alternatively - October/November!
Australians tend to find the water too cold after Easter - but
Europeans!!! - Who Knows!! Even in mid-winter in Queensland; water
temperature rarely drops below 19C.

"Brizze" wrote in message
. dk...

Hi Everyone,

My wife and i are planing a 4-5week trip to Australia in december,

maybe

that is! Because i have read a couple of places that december is not

the

best month to visit AU.

1. because australians themselves are on their long christmas vacation

and

therefore, making it almost impossible to find a place to sleep etc.
2. because of the huge amount of box jellyfish, that makes it
life-threatening to go bathing north of Brisbane.

So i would very much like to hear from Australians or people who have

been

AU in december, who can tell me if this is all nosence or if there is

some

truth in it.
I visited this beautiful country the first time in march 2000 and it

was

just perfect. Therefore i would like to avoid getting a bad experience

by

going the wrong time of year, so please help me by responding here, or
direct on my email

Thanks a lot
Brian/Copenhagen/Denmark

--
The privacy.net address is a spam trap. Please reply to

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Anne Chambers

Sorry, I don't know how the previous one got sent before I wrote anything!

You don't want to go to the Northern Territory in December/January -
it's hot, humid and WET - really, really wet. In fact, the season is
called 'The Wet'. Roads are very often cut because of flooding and it
is almost unbearbable, especially in the Top End (Darwin & Kakadu). I
lived in the Territory for 11 years - believe me, I know!

Anne

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Alan

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:32:28 +0200, "Brizze" wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks for your answers.
We only have december and maybe the first week of january.
But is it mostly the east-coast thats crowded ?
When i first went to AU i was told that if one only has a month to see AU
you should choose the east-coast.

But Australia is a big place so what about Darwin, and the south-west
coast ? is it possible to see the sights here, like kakadue, Ayers, Uluru,
and what else? on a month without spending most of the time in a bus or a
plane?
And if so can somebody recomend a good route ?

Thanks Brian

Hi Brian

Okay, you've got a month and it's December/January. Some of the other
posters may have put you off - it can be a great time to visit, you just
need to plan a little; particularly bookings in coastal holiday regions.

On itineraries, that's difficult without knowing your interests, but at
that time of year I'd look at the South-East - the coastal arc between
Adelaide and Brisbane. There is a lot of country and an enormous variety
in that arc, so give us an idea of your interests - cities, bush,
beaches, vineyards, villages or all of the above. I travel that region
for a couple of months every year at that time and enjoy it immensely.

At that time of year, it's probably better to stay south of Bundaberg.

If you post your interests there a lots of people here to help - also
whether you want to drive, fly, bus, rail or a combination. I can't
answer personally for a while (off to Fiji tomorrow) but I'll be back in
a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Alan

Old August 20th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Joseph McDonnell

Anne Chambers wrote:

Sorry, I don't know how the previous one got sent before I wrote anything!

You don't want to go to the Northern Territory in December/January -
it's hot, humid and WET - really, really wet. In fact, the season is
called 'The Wet'. Roads are very often cut because of flooding and it
is almost unbearbable, especially in the Top End (Darwin & Kakadu). I
lived in the Territory for 11 years - believe me, I know!

Anne

I loved the wet. But I wouldn't recommend it to tourists. My first experience of
it was as a tourist. I went from 40 degree and 0% humidity Adelaide to 30 degree
and 99.9% humidity Darwin and felt like the temperature was around 50. Later, I
went to live there and came to like The Wet better than the dry season (just
loved the thunderstorms over the sea). Driving to Kakadu in the wet would be
torture. And Anne's comments about the roads are spot on. I'd give the Top End a
miss this trip, Brian. There's PLENTY to see and do on the east coast.

Joseph

Old August 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM
A Mate

Brian,
A bit insulting!!
Nearly all your replies are from Australians who are trying to help you!! We
all travel in December/January - but be aware that you need to book ahead -
and be prepared for crowds everywhere that's attractive or interesting!! At
risk of being repetitive - but no 'nosence' - December/January are super
peak vacation time for Australians. Beaches are crowded. Prices are high!!!
But!! Book ahead and there are places to stay - there are things to do!!!
You can have a great time!!! Be flexible - be patient!! Jellyfish never
really worry Australians for reasons already explained! You won't have a
'bad' experience - Australians all have a 'ball' - on holiday!! Why
shouldn't you??????!

. ..

Old August 21st, 2004, 12:36 AM
Daniel Bowen

"Brizze" wrote in message
. ..
My wife and i are planing a 4-5week trip to Australia in december, maybe
that is! Because i have read a couple of places that december is not the
best month to visit AU.

1. because australians themselves are on their long christmas vacation and
therefore, making it almost impossible to find a place to sleep etc.

No. You might have some trouble in particular spots, eg big cities on New
Years Eve, and holiday areas (eg Gold Coast) in the 2-3 weeks after
Christmas, but if you plan ahead and book for these times, you should be
fine.

For the period before Christmas, I doubt you'd have issues. Remember that in
most states, schools run until about the 17th of December, so most families
don't go on holiday until after that (with most people taking time off only
after Christmas, as for many businesses up until Christmas time is very
busy).

2. because of the huge amount of box jellyfish, that makes it
life-threatening to go bathing north of Brisbane.

Someone from that area can probably answer better than I, but I'd have
thought it was just a matter of taking heed of any local warnings, and
avoiding the beach if necessary.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia