from Berlin to Prague by car

Old January 16th, 2015, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default from Berlin to Prague by car

We are going to fly to Berlin in October, stay a few nights (probably 4) and were thinking of then driving from Berlin to Prague, where we would stay 3 nights. That would leave us 2 nights in between, but I am trying to determine what would be the most interesting things to see if we drove from Berlin to Prague. I know Dresden has much to offer, and would like to visit, although I was hoping we could find some great place that wasn't in a city to use as a base for a few days to visit different places. Any suggestions on an itinerary, and places we could stay? Budget is not a big concern.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old January 16th, 2015, 01:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote in message
We are going to fly to Berlin in October, stay a few nights (probably 4)
and were thinking of then driving from Berlin to Prague, where we would
stay 3 nights. That would leave us 2 nights in between, but I am trying
to determine what would be the most interesting things to see if we drove
from Berlin to Prague. I know Dresden has much to offer, and would like
to visit, although I was hoping we could find some great place that wasn't
in a city to use as a base for a few days to visit different places. Any
suggestions on an itinerary, and places we could stay? Budget is not a
big concern.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Swiss Saxony's nice, but actually not best visited by car.

you could do a small detour to the Czech Spa towns of: Karlovy Vary,
Mariánské Lázne and (Karlsbad, MarienBad and Franzensbad). And if you do,
you'll enter Prague passing Karlstejn Castle, one of the best CZ has to
offer.

Don't forget to get a Vignette!

Have you investigated the costs of a one way hire between Germany and CZ,
you might find the costs prohibitive

tim

Old January 16th, 2015, 04:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

We are going to fly to Berlin in October, stay a few nights
(probably 4) and were thinking of then driving from Berlin
to Prague

Have you investigated the costs of a one way hire between
Germany and CZ, you might find the costs prohibitive.

Back in the early days of this group, we had a poster who announced
his plan to rollerblade all the way from Paris to Prague. His main
cost was going to be a lot of replacement wheels.

He never reported back, that I noticed anyway.

Old January 16th, 2015, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:03:08 AM UTC-5, tim..... wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. I haven't yet looked into the cost of the car, but will. Should we stop at Dresden for a couple of days?
Old January 17th, 2015, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote in message
[...]

you could, but I thought you only had 2 days spare

tim

Old January 17th, 2015, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

On Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 3:36:04 PM UTC-8, wrote:
We are going to fly to Berlin in October, stay a few nights (probably 4) and were thinking of then driving from Berlin to Prague, where we would stay 3 nights. That would leave us 2 nights in between, but I am trying to determine what would be the most interesting things to see if we drove from Berlin to Prague. I know Dresden has much to offer, and would like to visit, although I was hoping we could find some great place that wasn't in a city to use as a base for a few days to visit different places. Any suggestions on an itinerary, and places we could stay? Budget is not a big concern.
Thanks for any help you can give.

I recently did a trip along this route, though starting from Leipzig rather than Berlin, and continuing by train to Vienna. Rather than three days in Prague you could spend another day along the route. And Dresden is certainly a unique place to visit. I drove the car through the Sachsen Schlossserland castles route and dropped it at the Dresden rail station to avoid the return charges.

Some visiting destinations you might consider with a car on this route. Berlin via Potsdam to Wittenberg for the Martin Luther sites.

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...utherstadt.htm

Leipzig for the Johann Bach Museum for music or the Monument of Nations if you're interested in Napoleon and the famous Auerbachs Keller from Goethe's Faust

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...m_Leipzig.html
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...t_Leipzig.html
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...t_Leipzig.html

Along the castle route Rochlitz Castle and Kriebstein castles are easy to get to for Medievel history. And Colditz Castle for WWII POWS. Moritz Baroque Castle is also near Dresden.

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...le_Saxony.html
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...le_Saxony.html
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...um_Saxony.html

In Dresden the amazing museums and the Zwinger Palace and the Frauenkirche, and the Sophienkeller if you just have time for a lunch or dinner in the city.

http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...ms_Dresden.htm
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...he_Dresden.htm
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/1...nt_Dresden.htm