Can anyone recommend a classic trip?

Old September 26th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Mike Kelly

Default Can anyone recommend a classic trip?

Hi ,

Can anyone recommend / heard of any off the beaten track or classic
trips? I've done Kilimanjaro, etc etc. Just looking for new ideas.
Prefer trips in a non Western culture perhaps with an adventurous
aspect to it. Also, prefer to do independently rather than with
organised group.

Who knows - if I get enough ideas maybe I'll compile your answers in a
book ! (so include your address for the cheques I'll be sending ! )

Thanks,

Mike.
Dublin, Ireland.
Old September 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Ken Tough

Mike Kelly wrote:

Can anyone recommend / heard of any off the beaten track or classic
trips? I've done Kilimanjaro, etc etc. Just looking for new ideas.
Prefer trips in a non Western culture perhaps with an adventurous
aspect to it. Also, prefer to do independently rather than with
organised group.

There's nice stuff on the Wild Coast down here in S.Africa;
horse riding safaris, or diving on the infamous sardine shoal.
Speaking of which, while doing that we ran into a dutch couple
who were going to stay as long as it took to see the sardines
(maybe a month or more), and they'd been pretty much everywhere.
One adventure they'd done which sounds fantastic is travelling
across Kamchatka, in by helicopter and out by foot and dogsled,
across and around the volcanos under the glaciers. Pretty hard
to beat that for off-the-beaten-track. Apparently the whole country-
sized area gets less than a couple of dozen visitors in a year.

--
Ken Tough
Old September 30th, 2004, 07:20 AM
ThomasG

Read this guys story
http://www.travel-library.com/europe....garforth.html

That sounds like a classic trip.

Old September 30th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Mike Kelly

Thanks Ken - Kamchatka sounds fantastic. If you've any ideas on how I
sell this to my girlfriend let me know !

Anyone else who reads this - please keep the ideas coming!

Old October 1st, 2004, 08:57 AM
Ken Tough

Mike Kelly wrote:

Thanks Ken - Kamchatka sounds fantastic. If you've any ideas on how I
sell this to my girlfriend let me know !

She gets to wear a huge fur coat? :-]

--
Ken Tough